Disk full on point of sale server. I am going mad.(this weeks post) "should be shot"

badbass

Okay I cant troll this site all the time. This is weird I filled my portable hard drive with pictures, dvd's music iso's business documentation. My drive on my home computer is loaded too. This is a long post!!

I almost got shot at work today. I work at a family owned restaurant. The disk was full on the micros 3700 (yes laugh at me). I was in a class learning about vlans and assigning static mac add to cisco switch ports. How to have the switch dynamically grab a mac address . Port security so if iti is un plugged and another device is plugged in say an access point what ever the port will be disabled. The STICKY. Where the ios image is located blah blah blah minimal linux to use as tftp server on the cheap. Show em I know the commands.

Enough of that I get a phone call the micros server is offline and cannot connect to the database the users think its unplugged. We were setup with laugh again a win xp pro as a server shoot me.

They get the system in standalone mode so they can take orders in. They have to use their backup system to run cards. Carbon paper and slamming thingy.

I get there after class I poke on the internet to yell for help. What I find is my log files are huge. I have a backup with a .bad extension. I delete the file with the .bad extension reboot the server. The front of house will hold all open checks. The database comes up and the front of house synced to server.

started cashing out checks. I fixed the problem.

I am going mad I was going to be shot but they were very happy they left early I left late. See you next week

Edited by badbass

Crazy problem.

Sounds like he filled the POS terminal (Micros 3700) HDD with ISOs, movies and other downloads/torrents.

He was then playing with vlan security on a cisco switch.

Then he went to school?

The POS terminal could no longer connect to a database server (card processing?) so they could no longer process credit/debit card payments in the restaurant, his boss/family wanted to shoot him?

They fell back to a manual process, of swiping cards and getting people to sign for the bills.

When he returned from school, he went on the internet, realized his mistake, and corrected the problem.

Hopefully, removed some crap or large log files from the HDD of the POS that may have caused the problem.

The POS now works again, taking card payments, his boss/family are now happy again.

Sidenote:

Im worried that he may have inadvertently installed malware on a POS - PCI DSS breach.... If I end up in his restaurant I'll remember to pay with cash!

Edited by midnitesnake

Crazy problem.

Sounds like he filled the POS terminal (Micros 3700) HDD with ISOs, movies and other downloads/torrents.

He was then playing with vlan security on a cisco switch.

Then he went to school?

The POS terminal could no longer connect to a database server (card processing?) so they could no longer process credit/debit card payments in the restaurant, his boss/family wanted to shoot him?

They fell back to a manual process, of swiping cards and getting people to sign for the bills.

When he returned from school, he went on the internet, realized his mistake, and corrected the problem.

Hopefully, removed some crap or large log files from the HDD of the POS that may have caused the problem.

The POS now works again, taking card payments, his boss/family are now happy again.

Sidenote:

Im worried that he may have inadvertently installed malware on a POS - PCI DSS breach.... If I end up in his restaurant I'll remember to pay with cash!

Amazing translation. That is the gist of it as far as I got it but... still. Wat.

I just have to remember that feature to hide certain user posts so I don't see certain posts..lol...

My Settings > Ignore Preferences....done.

Edited by digip

Why do I fill my home pc drive and bloat the database at work on the same day. My backup drive is full to at home

At work we had a bad backup and a huge log file.

At home I need another spare drive say 1.5tb to move my dvd and cd collection to from the other drive. I have over 100 dvds 150 cd's in storage. Not all of them are ripped. It is just weird this all happens at once. Unfortunatly Ducky Moderators we have things locked down and your assumption is wrong.

It is like when a car has an alternator problem and your other car does the same week this happened to us too.

Again Ducky I take pci-dss seriously.

When something like this it is happens I manualy run the transaction later When the I fix it which I did or call the merchant.

Was working till I left to go to school to learn about cisco switches and show them how to use a usb stick to setup a tftp server. I get back Fix the problem at work go home open package manager on my pc you know where this is going dont you. Again it is like the car where they both have the same problem same week. Shoot me now.

Edited by badbass

Ducky Moderators we have things locked down and your assumption is wrong.

See, I pointed this out before, his name is midnitesnake. "Ducky Moderators" is his user group.

You have been calling people "hak5 zombie" etc too - this leads me to believe you are just trolling. A lot.

I have never been more confused from a forum post. I will remember, though, that the next time I go ahead and tinker with a POS client; I better not stack a bunch of ISOs on it. For what it's worth :)