• Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV
  • Pineapple Software Version: 2.8.0
  • OS used to connect to the pineapple: Macintosh (Lion)
  • Network layout of how your setup is connected: Network service order (order my Mac tries to connect devices: WiFi [Normal WiFi], Ethernet [WiFi Pineapple])
  • All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: Factory
  • Ping results from computer to pineapple:PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.642 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.729 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.811 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.827 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.711 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.724 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.794 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.817 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.675 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.818 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.709 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=0.728 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=0.824 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=0.798 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=0.776 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=0.551 ms
    64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=INFINITY ttl=64 time=BETWEEN 0.500-0.900
    ^C
    --- 172.16.42.1 ping statistics ---
    256 packets transmitted, 256 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.392/0.688/2.789/0.163 ms
  • Is the problem repeatable: Yes (since I got it)
  • Steps taken which created the problem: Whenever I clicked on anything that the WiFi Pineapple needed a server to connect to (ex. cloud.wifipineapple.com)
  • Error Messages:Error connecting!

Please make sure you have an internet connection.

This happened when I checked for upgrades through the pineapple, tried to reveal the public ip adress, or tried to list the modules on the Pineapple Bar page

• Log file information:N/A
  • Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: Ran the wp4.sh script through Kali Linux on VirtualBox

Why are you using a mac? but anyway you did not specify if the pineapple was connected to the internet, was there a cable in the wan port and if so, where was the other end of it plugged in? The pineapple is not going to magically setup a connection to the internet just because you are connected via wifi and have internet on your mac.

https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk34guidemacics

Edited by computerguy241

BitCubeTV

You have several ways to update the pineapple.

1. You can set the ethernet port on your Mac to static 172.16.42.42 and plug in to the pineapples WAN port, bring up the control page in a browser on your Mac 172.16.42.1:1471 and use the wireless on the pinapple to connect to your own wifi to get internet. (this one requires quite a bit of linux command line knowlege)

2. Use the MAC ICS instructions but it requires the Network Manager Infusion...

3. Probably the best method for a brand new pinapple is to use Cat5 directly from a port on your router/hub to the LAN port on the pineapple for internet access and use a laptop to connect to the automatically broadcasted Pineapple wifi to access the control page and initiate updates and infusion installs.

You may want to search this forum for the MAC ICS (or internet connection sharing) post for some good info.

And don't worry the Apple+Pineapple combo works fine...VMware with a BackTrack VM installed on your Mac is even more fun.

Why are you using a mac? but anyway you did not specify if the pineapple was connected to the internet, was there a cable in the wan port and if so, where was the other end of it plugged in? The pineapple is not going to magically setup a connection to the internet just because you are connected via wifi and have internet on your mac.

https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk34guidemacics

I'm using a Mac because I own a Mac and not a PC, and yes I have an Ethernet cable connected from my WiFi Pineapple's PoE/LAN.

BitCubeTV

1. You can set the ethernet port on your Mac to static 172.16.42.42 and plug in to the pineapples WAN port, bring up the control page in a browser on your Mac 172.16.42.1:1471 and use the wireless on the pinapple to connect to your own wifi to get internet. (this one requires quite a bit of linux command line knowlege)

3. Probably the best method for a brand new pinapple is to use Cat5 directly from a port on your router/hub to the LAN port on the pineapple for internet access and use a laptop to connect to the automatically broadcasted Pineapple wifi to access the control page and initiate updates and infusion installs.

You may want to search this forum for the MAC ICS (or internet connection sharing) post for some good info.

And don't worry the Apple+Pineapple combo works fine...VMware with a BackTrack VM installed on your Mac is even more fun.

Wait so I connect one of the router ports to the PoE/LAN or to the WAN/LAN

BitCubeTV

Well I have the Router connected to my WiFi Pineapple though WAN/LAN port, and then my Mac is connected to the PoE/LAN port and I can now see all the modules from the pineapple bar, etc. Everything works perfectly within 172.16.42.1:1471 BUT!!!!!!! I cannot goto other websites like google.com, etc and if I connect from another computer to the WiFi Pineapple hotspot it still wont load any websites besides 172.16.42.1:1471.

Edited by BitCubeTV

Ok, you created Option 4 by combining options 1 and 3 which is a completely valid configuration. But what you have failed to do is configure the Pineapple to allow the two eth ports to talk to each other.... Have you installed the Network Manager infusion yet? Do that first and when it's installed go to the tab labled ICS. Set up ICS on the Pineapple itself so that it will pass the internet it sees from the WAN/LAN port to the PoE/LAN port. As long as that is set your computer will "see" the internet.

You are talking about a completely different thing. That is why I tried to make clear there is a difference between the ICS for MAC (which I don't suggest using that version on the Wiki) and the ICS for the Pineapple. Search this forum for a post by me called "MAC ICS works". That post details a method that will not requrie you to make settings changes on the Pineapple that would require a serial adapter to recover from... My method also uses the Network Manager infusion and is what I was referring to in Option 2.

Think of it this way. When we talk about MAC ICS you are trying to share to the pineapple, via ethernet cable, the internet connection you are pulling down from your Macbooks Wifi. You want to pass that Interent to the Pineapple so that you can perfom updates etc. That is Option 2 or MAC ICS. But there is another step if you want the Pineapple to share that same internet further.

In order to share that same internet on the pineapple itself to the other physical LAN port or to the Pineapples Wifi... You use the Network Manager infusion and tell it on the ICS tab where to share it. I know I'm stating the obvious but the Pineapple is in fact a router but you still have to configure the routing functions correctly so that it does what you want.

Hope this helps.

OK so I setup the router to the WAN/LAN port and the PoE/LAN is connected to the Mac. I setup networkmanager ICS to share from eth1 to wlan0, and then when I go on my other Mac and connect to the pineapple SSID I can only connect to 172.16.42.1 (even though I have internet within the pineapple) (like to view the modules at the pineapple bar)

You are talking about a completely different thing. That is why I tried to make clear there is a difference between the ICS for MAC (which I don't suggest using that version on the Wiki) and the ICS for the Pineapple. Search this forum for a post by me called "MAC ICS works". That post details a method that will not requrie you to make settings changes on the Pineapple that would require a serial adapter to recover from... My method also uses the Network Manager infusion and is what I was referring to in Option 2.

Think of it this way. When we talk about MAC ICS you are trying to share to the pineapple, via ethernet cable, the internet connection you are pulling down from your Macbooks Wifi. You want to pass that Interent to the Pineapple so that you can perfom updates etc. That is Option 2 or MAC ICS. But there is another step if you want the Pineapple to share that same internet further.

In order to share that same internet on the pineapple itself to the other physical LAN port or to the Pineapples Wifi... You use the Network Manager infusion and tell it on the ICS tab where to share it. I know I'm stating the obvious but the Pineapple is in fact a router but you still have to configure the routing functions correctly so that it does what you want.

Hope this helps.

OK so I setup the router to the WAN/LAN port and the PoE/LAN is connected to the Mac. I setup networkmanager ICS to share from eth1 to wlan0, and then when I go on my other Mac and connect to the pineapple SSID I can only connect to 172.16.42.1 (even though I have internet within the pineapple) (like to view the modules at the pineapple bar)

Editing this post... I just realized you kind of switched configurations on me. You are using both eth ports in what we were talking about.... Connect the eth with the internet coming in to the other eth... That will make the computer that is connected to both of the Pineapples eth ports see internet through the wired connection.

You'll need to change in Network Manager the eth to wlan settings to connect users on your pinneapple wifi to get the internet from your router. If you setup eth1 to wlan0 and it didn't work try eth0 to wlan0 or brlan to wlan0. Or maybe it's eth0 to wlan0... Play with it till you find what works.

Edited by thesugarat

Editing this post... I just realized you kind of switched configurations on me. You are using both eth ports in what we were talking about.... Connect the eth with the internet coming in to the other eth... That will make the computer that is connected to both of the Pineapples eth ports see internet through the wired connection.

You'll need to change in Network Manager the eth to wlan settings to connect users on your pinneapple wifi to get the internet from your router. If you setup eth1 to wlan0 and it didn't work try eth0 to wlan0 or brlan to wlan0. Or maybe it's eth0 to wlan0... Play with it till you find what works.

Im sorry for change AGAIN, but I now followed your post "Mac Ics Works" and I I HAD it working I unplug the pineapple and moved it and pluged it back in with the same setup and now nothing works again WTF!

Don't buy a mac. Lol

I'm sorry, I don't use Microdick Winblows. I'm not smart enough to clean viruses off my computer, follow arcane setup instructions, deal with drivers that don't work, and know just when to give up and return peripherals and software that aren't compatible. So I'm forced to use Macs where everything is easy, and I'm sorry once in a while I need to seek a little bit of advice to solve some of my issues. You know what they say, "What you don't have, you don't want."

Edited by BitCubeTV

I'm sorry, I don't use Microdick Winblows. I'm not smart enough to clean viruses off my computer, follow arcane setup instructions, deal with drivers that don't work, and know just when to give up and return peripherals and software that aren't compatible. So I'm forced to use Macs where everything is easy, and I'm sorry once in a while I need to seek a little bit of advice to solve some of my issues. You know what they say, "What you don't have, you don't want."

Wow dude chill out. He's just pulling your chain. ICS on Mac Os is flakey. Why they implement it that way I have no idea, but that's how it is.

That's one reason I like this fourm... The typical bullshit rivalry between Windows and Apple really is a joke and not taken seriously. I use Windows all day at work but prefer Mac at home. I'm proficient at both OSs and I'm still learning Linux.

By they way the ICS on Mac isn't "flakey" it just has a strange implementation. Once you know how it works it's very reliable.

BitCubeTV I mean no offense but you seem pretty new to the Pineapple. Read the fourm, Experiment and you'll figure most of this stuff out on your own... Happy Hunting.

That's one reason I like this fourm... The typical bullshit rivalry between Windows and Apple really is a joke and not taken seriously. I use Windows all day at work but prefer Mac at home. I'm proficient at both OSs and I'm still learning Linux.

By they way the ICS on Mac isn't "flakey" it just has a strange implementation. Once you know how it works it's very reliable.

BitCubeTV I mean no offense but you seem pretty new to the Pineapple. Read the fourm, Experiment and you'll figure most of this stuff out on your own... Happy Hunting.

Thank you have helped me the most with this so I marked it as solved. I am new to the pineapple and I have got it to perfectly work with my Mac, that being said I'm 15 and still have school. I must work around school to learn ethical hacking, and I thank you for bearing with my time schedule.

-BitCubeTV