Mac Ics Works

thesugarat

I'm new to the Pineapple but I love it so far. Just thought I'd share a process to get Internet Connection Sharing working in MAC OSX without having to make manual edits to the Pineapple as the Wiki states.

This requires the Network Manager infusion be installed.

Step 1: Connect MAC wifi to your Internet connected AP

Step 2: Ensure to "Set Service Order" under the Network preferences, put the Wifi above the Ethernet

Step 3: Also in Network prefs set the IP address of the Ethernet connection manually - 172.16.42.42, subnet is 255.255.255.0, router is blank, and DNS is 8.8.8.8

Step 4: Plug the cat5 cable into the WAN/LAN port on the pineapple

Step 5: Go to "Sharing" in System Prefs, in "Internet Sharing" set WiFi to Ethernet, check the box and hit start. ( this step will assign an IP address of 192.168.2.2 to the WAN/LAN port, this is visible on the pineapple's Status page. )

Step 6: In the network manager infusion go to the ICS tab, set Share Internet From eth1 to wlan0 (or br-lan in some instances) then click save.

The only thing unique with my setup is my Air doesn't have an NIC port so I'm using a USB to Ethernet adapter.

It should be obvious but I used a different device connected to the pineapple AP to make changes while my Air was in use. You could use a different laptop and connect to the LAN/POE port but an iPad or tablet with wifi works just fine.

Please let me know if this works for you. If it does maybe this can be added to the Wiki.

Thanks,

thesugarat

Edited by thesugarat

I'll be giving this a try soon! I got a screamin 11inch air and I just hate having to change all my pineapples parameters around just to plug it into the mac. Thanks for the how to thesugarat!

telot

It's picky, but it does look like they've fixed it. You have to do everything exactly in order and if you don't, you have to hard restart the box. The other major downside is, I lose the ability to access 172.16.42.1/pineapple after ics is turned on. I have to ssh in, run my tcpdump and sslstrip, make sure it working, then turn on ics. After that I just rely on my cronjob'd email reports to make sure everythings working ok, which is alright but also kinda sucks. Mac ics is better now (since it at least kind of works with the stock ip) but still lacks the convenience and versatility that windows and Linux have.

FYI I'm running ML on a 2012 air with thunderbolt eth adapter and 2.5 firmware.

telot

It's picky, but it does look like they've fixed it. You have to do everything exactly in order and if you don't, you have to hard restart the box. The other major downside is, I lose the ability to access 172.16.42.1/pineapple after ics is turned on. I have to ssh in, run my tcpdump and sslstrip, make sure it working, then turn on ics. After that I just rely on my cronjob'd email reports to make sure everythings working ok, which is alright but also kinda sucks. Mac ics is better now (since it at least kind of works with the stock ip) but still lacks the convenience and versatility that windows and Linux have.

FYI I'm running ML on a 2012 air with thunderbolt eth adapter and 2.5 firmware.

telot

I am shocked you are still running 2.5.0. Any reason for that?

If Seb brings a thread offtopic, that means its ok right? :)

To be honest Seb, I haven't any reason to upgrade. Everything I want from the pineapple works wonderfully. Until something game changing comes along, I see lots of risk in upgrading (since I have everything tuned perfectly right now) and no benefit.

telot

I'm glad you were able to verify that it does work. I don't believe anything about MAC ICS has changed so yes it's not as versatile. I believe the real key is the Network Manager infusions ability to do the second ICS on the pineapple itself. That is what bridges the two IP ranges. I suggest using a smartphone with wifi or a tablet to access the pineapple while your Air is otherwise engaged. And there should be no need to hard boot the pineapple. Turn off ICS and then plug into to LAN/POE port. That one should get you a DHCPd address from the pineapple and allow you to login and change settings. Just some ideas you might try.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I found this information pretty useful. I got mine to work and then it just suddenly stopped working:

1. I connected everything up like you described and my pineapple itself had internet access to install modules with. From the WAN port to the mac's ethernet. If I connected to the pineapple's SSID then I did not have internet access at all.

2. I installed the network manager infusion and then set the ICS the way you described: from eth1 to wlan0.

3. I tested this with my cell phone and it was snared by karma when trying to connect to an access point and voila! i could load up webpages with it. Well, webpage, just once. After that I could not load anything else. I also was no longer able to connect to the pineapple from my mac via 192.168.2.2 any longer, it could not be pinged either.

4. Since I had the network manager installed now I tried to switch the ICS to the br-lan as you said that it was required in "some cases". This did not resolve things either.

Since then I have been completely unable to get this thing back to taking on 192.168.2.2

Do you know what this can mean or should I dump in more info?

192.168.2.X is a better description of what MAC ICS will assign. 2.2 just happened to be what my Pineapple recieved. I was not using Karma at the time I tested this so that is not a variable I can help with. I would shut off Karma and any DNS redirecting, like Random Roll, to test with... And help me out with a description of the devices you're using and what you disconected.

For me...

Device A= my laptop with built in wifi connected to a wireless Access Point with real internet to share

Device B= Pineapple connected to A via Cat5 and with it's Access Point (called pineapple) turned on

Device C= Tablet connected to pineapple getting internet passed through from A, also can change settings on B because it's in the right IP address range

Obviously once you have A and B setup you can't mess with them (except for minor changes to the pineapple done via C i.e. logging or turning on other modules). And you can't ping or get to the Pineapple from your MAC once ICS is turned on. That's not a surprise, that's why you need a device C. It's definately goofy the way they do ICS but it works for passing along internet without making big changes manually inside your pineapple. Maybe what this provides is not techcially ICS but should be called Internet passthrough... I haven't tried to use any of the tools like urlsnarf with this configuration to see if the pineapple can play MITM properly.

RebelCork,

Let me see if I understand this... Your Device A is a MacBook Pro with a built in ethernet port that you connect to the Pineapple. Then you turn on a VM of BT5 on that same MBP and plug in a USB ethernet adapter and when it asks you what to connect it to, you choose the Linux VM. Then that VM eth port is hooked right into the other port on the Pineapple for control?

Device A is MacBook - connected to internet in some way (wifi or ethernet - through built in ethernet) I have used usb iphone tethering and this works.

Device B is the Pineapple - connected to the VM (BT5) in some way, although it has to be via a usb method - USN Network Card/USB Wifi

(I have a micro wifi card inserted into the usb port so it doesnt look too obvious)

Device C is the VM of choice running on the Mac. We will call this VM for clarity.

What is happening is that my Mac is connected to the internet as you would normally have it. In settings, set up internet sharing on the connection you want ( wifi/ethernet/tethered device). Parrallels creates a virtual connection between Mac and VM to share internet, add this to your share. When running the VM, what will happen is the VM shows eth0 as being a physical interface connected directly to your VM.

You connect the pineapple by whatever method you like - wifi again is much better, as you dont have any wires poking about, but if you have to use an ethernet cable, you must use a usb adapter (I got a cheap €10 adapter and it works perfectly). This shows up in Parrallels, just attribute this to the VM and you have a connection to the pineapple.

If you are using a linux image, you can run wp4.sh, just remembering to connect the right interfaces when asked (PC to Internet becomes ethX, connection to pineapple becomes wlanX or ethX, and the router becomes the Parralls 'router'.

This works for me every time and I don't have to mess about with pineapple settings

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone that is having problems, I can only post what is the easiest way to set up ICS on the mac:

(before you begin, please install the networkmanager module)

1. Connect the pineapple WLAN/LAN port to your ethernet port on the MAC
  2. Under Settings > Sharing >Internet Sharing - Tick the box for Ethernet.
  3. Connect to the pineapple using a mobile device/wifi device, and get the ip address of the WLAN/LAN in the upper right corner. It will probably say something along the lines of 192.168.2.x (for instance mine is 192.168.2.14) (please dont try to ping my ip ^_^ ).
  4. The ip address listed under the WLAN/LAN is the alternate ip address you can log into the pineapple with.
  5. open network manager and click on the ics tab
  6. under "Share internet from:" - select eth1
  7. under "To:" - select wlan0
  8. Save (optionally you can enable this to work on boot by ticking the box)
  9. Voila !! Pwned internets

Hope this helps everyone

Dunes88, can you try this out and see it works??

[edit] should mention that I use this if I am not using backtrack or another vm. I use my other method stated above if I want to do anything else

[edit] just realised this is identical to OP. Sorry !! But it DOES WORK EVERYONE !! :)

Edited by RebelCork

• "Step 4. The ip address listed under the WLAN/LAN is the alternate ip address you can log into the pineapple with."

• Now that is something I havn't tried... I knew once ICS was turned on I couldn't access the 172.16.42.x range (which is why I used a seperate device to control the pineapple) but I never thought to try to use the IP address it is assigned from ICS on the MAC side. I'm assuming this is how Dunes88 is connecting? I'll have to try this later.

• "Step 4. The ip address listed under the WLAN/LAN is the alternate ip address you can log into the pineapple with."

• Now that is something I havn't tried... I knew once ICS was turned on I couldn't access the 172.16.42.x range (which is why I used a seperate device to control the pineapple) but I never thought to try to use the IP address it is assigned from ICS on the MAC side. I'm assuming this is how Dunes88 is connecting? I'll have to try this later.

That's exactly how i am connecting :)

• 2 months later...

This does not work for me.

I have followed all the steps, however - The Pineapple does not get an IP adress like 192.168.2.X,

however, in the webmin it says that POE / LAN port has 172.16.42.1 (I can only reach the interface with another device other than my Mac, by connecting to the "Pineapple XX:e" wifi.

What could I do?

This does not work for me.

I have followed all the steps, however - The Pineapple does not get an IP adress like 192.168.2.X,

however, in the webmin it says that POE / LAN port has 172.16.42.1 (I can only reach the interface with another device other than my Mac, by connecting to the "Pineapple XX:e" wifi.

What could I do?

This was tested on 2.7, when I get the time later this week, I'll confirm on 2.8

In the meantime, can you post a screen grab?

Im only guessing, but have you given the POE a static IP??

This was tested on 2.7, when I get the time later this week, I'll confirm on 2.8

In the meantime, can you post a screen grab?

Im only guessing, but have you given the POE a static IP??

Here is a screenshot of the web gui: http://imgur.com/kyEvVR6

I am running 2.8 yes. I followed the instructions in the guide above, and set the IP in my Mac OS X ICS to 172.16.42.42, but that's all I've done. The firmware running on the pineapple is standard, recently flashed, also - the Ethernet cable is not connected to the WAN port, not the POE LAN port

Edited by n1mda

n1mda,

Looking at that screen shot there is no IP address assigned to the WAN/LAN in the top right status section. If you've got MAC ICS turned on and a cable hooked up from the NIC on your MAC to the WAN/LAN port on the pineapple this should get an IP address in the 192.168.X.X range ICS is using. I realize it's probably just a typo but you say above that the Ethernet cable is "not" connected to either WAN or POE.... I'm guessing you're trying to state it "is" connected to WAN and not to the POE.

Giving us more details on your setup may help... devices, internal NIC vs USB, steps you took and results in order, that kind of thing. Hell, photos work also... whatever you want to share.

Yeah, sorry that was a typo. The Ethernet cable is connected to my Macbook via a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter. The other end is connected to the WAN port of the pineapple. In that case the pineapple gets an IP on the POE port like 172.16.42.1. The same thing happens if connected to the POE LAN port. (?)

If connected to the WAN port, I can only reach the web interface if I connect from my phone to the ESSID the pineapple broadcasts.

If connected to the LAN port, I can connect to the web interface from my Macbook by going to the IP 172.16.42.1

Mac OS X version: 10.8.2

Pineapple: MKIV firmware 2.8

I installed the networkmanager infusion via usb, since I don't have any internet connection on the pineapple.

Connect it to the WAN port... Come in trough your phone and check that status page (172.16.42.1:1471) for the WAN IP address. Use that IP address on your MAC i.e. 192.168.x.x:1471 and it should take you to the management page of the Pineapple. The trick is getting that IP address first because the MAC ICS doesn't tell you what it assigns.

If you go in through your phone in this configuration and there is no IP address assigned, your problem lies elsewhere i.e. ICS config, cables, WAN port fault....

Newbie here...just got my MKIV this week. Got ICS setup on my Macbook Air and can access from the Apple assigned 192.x.x address connected via the WAN port. (as described in OP)

My question...I'm running BT5r3 in Parallels and I'm trying to get my MKIV to work through there.

I've installed the wp4.sh script per the instructions but just can't figure out my network settings.

What I've tried so far:

1. when I run "iwconfig" no wireless networks show up

2. running "ifconfig" shows eth1 assigned an IP (which is via my wireless card)

3. I've tried adding another network adapter via the Parallels vm config for BT5, but for some reason can't get my Thunderbolt ethernet adapter to show up in BT5.

Anyone have a similar setup that wouldn't mind sharing their config settings? I'd really like to be able to run my MKIV via BT5 as well if possible.

Mac OS X version: 10.8.2

Pineapple: MKIV firmware 2.8

Thunderbolt ethernet adapter

Thx.