Mac Ics Works

thesugarat

Newbie here...just got my MKIV this week. Got ICS setup on my Macbook Air and can access from the Apple assigned 192.x.x address connected via the WAN port. (as described in OP)

My question...I'm running BT5r3 in Parallels and I'm trying to get my MKIV to work through there.

I've installed the wp4.sh script per the instructions but just can't figure out my network settings.

What I've tried so far:

1. when I run "iwconfig" no wireless networks show up

2. running "ifconfig" shows eth1 assigned an IP (which is via my wireless card)

3. I've tried adding another network adapter via the Parallels vm config for BT5, but for some reason can't get my Thunderbolt ethernet adapter to show up in BT5.

Anyone have a similar setup that wouldn't mind sharing their config settings? I'd really like to be able to run my MKIV via BT5 as well if possible.

Mac OS X version: 10.8.2

Pineapple: MKIV firmware 2.8

Thunderbolt ethernet adapter

Thx.

I don't think you can get the thunderbolt port to connect directly to parallels, or any vm. You can do it with the usb to ethernet adapter however.

Your connection eth1 is really a virtual NIC bridged to the interent your host machine is running. So it's coming in from your Mac's wifi but it isn't your wifi. If that makes sense... You need to plug in a USB wifi card like an Alfa AWUS and let the BT vm have control of it. (I use VMWare and when it's running and I plug in the Alfa it asks me what to hook it to.) I think barry is correct that the thunderbolt NIC isn't going to be supported.

Thanks for the responses. The more I thought about it yesterday and after fiddling with everything possible, it was painfully obvious that BT5 isn't going to recognize the Thunderbolt Ethernet controller. Sad, but to be expected I guess.

With VMs so commonplace now days, I never considered that it may have been wise to hold on to my ThinkPad. Oh well. Guess I'll keep using it via OS X and the 192.x.x. address and if necessary I guess I could try a USB->Ethernet adapter if I really feel I need to connect it to BT5.

Thx again.

• 2 months later...

I just received my Pineapple (currently FW 2.8.1) this past Friday (early Father's Day present) and I followed the steps posted in this thread to successfully set up ICS on a Mac running OSX 10.8.3. Thank you thesugarat and all of the others who posted useful information here!

I stumbled a bit and thought I'd share my experience.

In order to execute the steps in the first post of this thread, one must have the network manager infusion installed on their Pineapple. In order to install the infusion, the Pineapple must have internet connectivity. I wished to set up ICS so that my Pineapple could have internet connectivity. I resolved this conundrum by setting up ICS with my Raspberry Pi running Linux using the super-handy wp4.sh script:

wget wifipineapple.com/wp4.sh

chmod +x wp4.sh

./wp4.sh

Kind of a "no duh" thing, but being completely new to this, I had to think about it for a minute.

Next, I goofed up by plugging in to my PoE port instead of the WAN/LAN port. The instructions clearly state that one should use the WAN/LAN port so use the WAN/LAN port.

After completing steps 1-4, I could not connect to the Pineapple admin console at http://172.16.42.1:1471/ and I struggled here for a long time. I finally looked at my netstat output and thought, "Who's this 192.168.2.3 guy?". I tried http://192.168.2.3:1471/ and was successful.

Some comments on this: Before trying to set up ICS, I had followed the "quick start" steps (cut and pasted from some post):

- I connect to the pc via wifi pineapple PoE / LAN
- Share the wireless Ethernet connection
- I set the static IP 172.16.42.42 and the mask 255.255.255.0, gateway blank, and DNS server 8.8.8.8.

This is why I was using the PoE and was determined to connect to 172.16.42.1. Later, I finally figured out that I could connect to the "pineapple" wifi network and manage it using the 172.16.42.1 address. Probably another "no duh" thing that is obvious to anybody who has worked with this device for more than a few hours, but I didn't realize it at first so maybe someone else won't either.

Finally, I was a bit careless when I configured ICS in the network manager infusion and I just went with eth0 to wlan0 without checking. Ultimately br-lan worked for me.

I think I must have made every mistake possible while doing this so I thought I'd share so someone may be spared a bit of frustration.

Edited by gigan

I've updated the Pineapple Wiki for MAC ICS with these instructions... Same link as midnitesnake posted above. Just scroll down to Option 2.

At one point, the instructions you just added say:

"There are two files we need to change, /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp ."

Changes to /etc/config/network are discussed, but changes to /etc/config/dhcp are never mentioned. If changes to dhcp are not necessary, you should consider modifying the sentence I quoted.

In other words, unless I'm missing something, only /etc/config/network is modified when following these instructions.

gigan,

Option 2 is what I added... I am not responsible for Option 1 and it's untested alternate. I did not want to make such drastic changes to my pineapple as those instructions state so I came up with a different way.

At one point, the instructions you just added say:

"There are two files we need to change, /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp ."

Changes to /etc/config/network are discussed, but changes to /etc/config/dhcp are never mentioned. If changes to dhcp are not necessary, you should consider modifying the sentence I quoted.

In other words, unless I'm missing something, only /etc/config/network is modified when following these instructions.

Whoever changed the page forgot to copy the dhcp config. Changing the ICS network on the Mac looks like the better idea anyway.

Edited by barry99705

barry,

You believe Option 1 is better? Why would you want/need to change the address rage that the Mac's ICS is using? It would be nice if OSX had that option but not having it isn't stopping me from doing anything so far... Just curious what it would be good for.