Pineapple Range ?...

internet_pirate

How far does the pineapples mark VI range reaches? Becuase i cant get any clients farder then like 3 feet... and i was testing the wifi strength with my phone and i try the 5dBi Antenna and the 7dBi Panel Antenna and theirs not much diffrence and when i disconnet the antenna i get the same wifi strength... i dont know too much about wifi antennas i may be doing something wrong?

Here's the one I got.... works great!

http://www.amazon.com/20cm-U-fl-IPEX-RP-SMA-Pigtail/dp/B007XVLO4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347382185&sr=8-1&keywords=20cm+U.fl%2FIPEX+to+RP-SMA+Pigtail+for+Mini+PCIe+Wifi

(p.s.) when removing the hot-glue, it is best to use some rubbing alcohol and some cue tips. It'll come right off, if you dab around the hot-glue.

Well, I have to idmit that I didn't really believe that a new pigtail would do anything, but man I was wrong.

I opened up the Pineapple and turned it on for a simple test with InSSIDer. Took the laptop in another room and started measure.

Original pigtail and antenna: -75 dBm

Without any pigtail or antenna: -85 dBm

With new pigtail&original antenna: -55 dBm

Actually the pigtail was one I had lying around, but non-the-less, replacing the pigtail really helps!

I did some tests a while back regarding range at different voltages - typical range on either 5V or 9V or 12V was 30ft in a kind of "mixed office" setting with desks, chairs, cube walls, etc. I'm sure in a wide open environment it would be greater. You can lookup my old post for exact numbers of txpower, dbm, rssi values, etc. Glad the pigtail worked for ya though!

telot

lol ill be really luck if i do. i dont mind getting the connection i hate paying for the shipping :( seems a bit pricy for a wire

It's a piece of coax cable 1.3-ish mm thick! :o I can solder some pretty damn small surface mount components, but there's no way I could solder the ipex side of it. It's so expensive because they're a bitch to make. I just wish I could find them shorter... I can find them 6" and longer all day, but trying to find one the same length as the one in the pineapple is damn near impossible without having them made.

It's a piece of coax cable 1.3-ish mm thick! :o I can solder some pretty damn small surface mount components, but there's no way I could solder the ipex side of it. It's so expensive because they're a bitch to make. I just wish I could find them shorter... I can find them 6" and longer all day, but trying to find one the same length as the one in the pineapple is damn near impossible without having them made.

And all this years my mom told me that the longer the better...

Anyways, I just snuggeled the wire in there, and it works better than the original, so I'm happy with it. Hopefully the pigtail is shielded, so you could have a couple of meters inside before you would notice any difference in signal? Exadurated I know, but would it be partially true?

And all this years my mom told me that the longer the better...

Anyways, I just snuggeled the wire in there, and it works better than the original, so I'm happy with it. Hopefully the pigtail is shielded, so you could have a couple of meters inside before you would notice any difference in signal? Exadurated I know, but would it be partially true?

Sorta. The general rule is to keep antenna cables as short as possible, you do lose signal in them. These little guys are using rg-178 coax I believe, which loses a little less than 1 db per foot with the connectors. That's a perfect cable though. Twisting up the cable, which a few people have found because the sma connector has come lose and screwing on the antenna twists the connector, bending it too sharply, or pinching it will increase the loss.

You have to be careful with the rp-sma connector as Barry points out twisting it will cause the short i-pex pigtail to rotate. The pineapple board has the ipex connector hot-glued on to prevent unintended disconnection. I didn't realize there was a performance difference with replacement cables. It seems as the very short rg-178 included should do the trick, but I'd be interested in hearing the specs on Ioozr's cable. Perhaps we can have changes made at the factory.

Barry: Yes, there is signal loss, but I don't think I will see any difference between 10cm and 15cm cables. That said, the cable that I put into my Pineapple is 15cm long, and the original in the pineapple is about 8cm. Still the longer cable is doing better. In fact, I had some problems that I did get very few connections from Karma with the old cable, however with the new cable I got a lot more connections!

Darren: Well, I didn't believe that there would be any difference in signal strength either, but now I'm convinced. I'm sorry but I have no spec on the pigtail, except its black, about 15cm long, ordered from ebay some while ago, and it works great. I could have a look in my ebay history, but I don't think this cable is special in any way. Just an ordinary pigtail I guess.

And regarding the bit lengthy cable of mine, I didn't twist it, but rather made a loop, if you understand me and see the difference. It felt kinda "neat and safe", and I mounted the rp-sma correctly, so there is not possible to twist the cable from the rp-sma-end-of-the-cable ;)

The power supply seems to be 6v 2A, but don't you think it would run on 5v? Maybe just not that much amplification?

Would be sweet if someone tested it and reported here what they found :)

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the range after I replaced the pigtail, and honestly I don't think a little extra range is worth 54usd. Then I would rather buy a directional Yagi or something.