Help With Resetting Root Password

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV

Pineapple Software Version: 2.4.0

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Win 7

Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information): wired to PoE LAN port on pineapple with static ip 172.16.42.42

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: karma, dnsspoof

I've managed to lock myself out of my brand new pineapple somehow, and I can't seem to reset the password back to default.

Here's a little background on what happened:

After playing around with it for a few days, I managed to get the rick rolling/nyan nyan cat modules working, so I decided it's probably about time for me to change the root password. I used the web gui to change the root password, typed it in twice and submitted it. A message popped up saying I needed to reboot the pineapple for the changes to be applied, so I used the reboot button in the web gui. After it came back up, I couldn't log in with the new password or the old default password, so I figured I must have typed it in wrong twice. I used the reset button on the back to restore the default password and it worked fine...so I tried one more time to change the root password through the gui, being extra careful to type it in correctly. Unfortuantely, the same thing happened after rebooting it...I couldn't log in with either password. I tried resetting it back to the default password again wtih the reset button at the back, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I also tried logging in via ssh, but it didn't work with either of the passwords.

After booting it up, everything is still working fine...even karma with the rick rolling is still running. I just can't seem to log in anymore. Is there anything else I can try, or is the only way to connect via serial now? I just ordered a cable, but it won't be here for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the quick reply Mr-Protocol.

I've tried that a few times. And again just now, but nothing seems to happen after holding the reset button in. I plugged it in, left it alone for about 5 minutes, then held the reset button down for 20sec. All the lights are still solid, and it doesn't look like the pineapple rebooted.

Thanks for the quick reply Mr-Protocol.

I've tried that a few times. And again just now, but nothing seems to happen after holding the reset button in. I plugged it in, left it alone for about 5 minutes, then held the reset button down for 20sec. All the lights are still solid, and it doesn't look like the pineapple rebooted.

I know you have tried this numerous times but the reset button should work.

The way I have set it up is that it needs to be pressed 5-10s. Not longer, not less.

I am not sure why it works when you hold it longer, the counter may reset after a while. But really, it will not work if it is pressed 11, 12 or 13 seconds (etc..).

What I do: Press button - count to seven - let go. All fixed.

Of course, wait until the pineapple is fully booted.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Sebkinne

The way I have set it up is that it needs to be pressed 5-10s. Not longer, not less.

I am not sure why it works when you hold it longer, the counter may reset after a while. But really, it will not work if it is pressed 11, 12 or 13 seconds (etc..).

I hope this helps!

Best,

Sebkinne

Ah, I'm still thinking of the old reset that you had to hold longer :P Thanks for clearing that up.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Sebkinne

I gave that a shot, but still no luck. I even timed it, just to be sure. It should actually reboot on it's own right? So, I should see the wps light flashing again, because all the lights seem to stay solid. I tried just unplugging it and plugging it back in, but the default root/pineapplesareyummy still doesn't work

I'd ask what version of the firmware you're running but seeing as you can't login... At this point I'd say just contact shop at hak5 dot org and request an exchange. Doesn't take long. I'll put your unit on a serial board when it comes in and see if I can't diagnose it. Curious if there was a bug in the passwd function of an older version or something. Sorry bud.

I'd ask what version of the firmware you're running but seeing as you can't login... At this point I'd say just contact shop at hak5 dot org and request an exchange. Doesn't take long. I'll put your unit on a serial board when it comes in and see if I can't diagnose it. Curious if there was a bug in the passwd function of an older version or something. Sorry bud.

I had upgraded it to 2.4.0. So, unless the first reset I did changed the firmware version, it should still be running on that. I should have a serial cable on the way and should be here within a couple weeks, so I'll give that a shot first. If I don't get anywhere with that, I'll request an exchange. Thanks Darren

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue that the reset button is not working. I email the shop5 email address hopefully I could get a replacement. I just used it 2 times, and still has the protected plastic around it...

It could be a power issue. Are you powering up the pineapple with the AC adapter?. I've had similar issues with the reset button when the pineapple is being powered by a battery pack.

I've been powering it with the ac adapter. The reset button still doesn't seem to be working for me. Just waiting for my serial cable to arrive in the mail so I can hopefully change the password through there. If not, I'll have to see if I can get the hakshop to help me out.

Im in the same boat with 2.5.0 firmware. I am currently waiting on a UART adapter to try and reflash this. is the reset time roughly 5 to 10 seconds still on the 2.5.0 firmware?

Yes. The password should reset if the reset button is pressed for 5-10s.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I have attempted to reset several times waiting for 5 to 10 s, 10+ seconds with no luck. The pineapple doesnt appear to indicate that there is anything happening (no Led status changes) and the web ui remains locked and wont accept the default password. Looks like im stuck till either my UART USB adapater arrives or I can go the exchange route. . .

• 1 month later...

Not good. I am running 2.50 and have had the exact issue as the original poster. Same scenario and am now locked out? Has anyone been able to determine the root cause and why the reset button no loger functions after the second password change? Is a re-flash via serial the only option here? If so, can I use a usb to serial uart with trx, rcv grn while utilizing the mark IV unit power?

Thx

Not good. I am running 2.50 and have had the exact issue as the original poster. Same scenario and am now locked out? Has anyone been able to determine the root cause and why the reset button no loger functions after the second password change? Is a re-flash via serial the only option here? If so, can I use a usb to serial uart with trx, rcv grn while utilizing the mark IV unit power?

Thx

Please view the wiki for proper uart configuration. Link in signature.

If you are going to have the thing naked in front of you any way may as well try and short the reset button with a screwdriver/aligatorclips/paperclip... see if it is broke, not much good if you flash it and the reset button is still broke, may just hit the same problem again.

I was able to gain entry via SSH, after multiple incorrect attemps via putty the console popped up (Iv'e seen this before in open WRT)?? I manually ran the changePassword script from the advanced dir then reset passwd again from the console, issued a reboot.. power off. everything appeared to be good but I decided to re-flash as a precaution.

All is good again!