Help With Resetting Root Password

I was able to gain entry via SSH, after multiple incorrect attemps via putty the console popped up (Iv'e seen this before in open WRT)?? I manually ran the changePassword script from the advanced dir then reset passwd again from the console, issued a reboot.. power off. everything appeared to be good but I decided to re-flash as a precaution.

All is good again!

zettaquark this is a neat find, I wonder if there is a way to fix the issue

I was able to gain entry via SSH, after multiple incorrect attemps via putty the console popped up (Iv'e seen this before in open WRT)?? I manually ran the changePassword script from the advanced dir then reset passwd again from the console, issued a reboot.. power off. everything appeared to be good but I decided to re-flash as a precaution.

All is good again!

I am not sure I understand. What console do you get access too? Do you get access after typing in an invalid password?

Do you get access to the SSH console or do you get access to some other console?

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Access to the pineapple through SSH (using the Putty client).. after multiple unaccepted password attempts, 8 attempts If I recall correctly.

So it said "Invalid password" and let you in? Or you tried and all of a sudden it worked?

I tried to replicate:

Using username "root".
root@172.16.42.1's password:
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
<Connection Dropped due to too many attempts>
[/CODE]

Tried a few times. Can't replicate. I suppose you got the password right / there was some mess-up in the system rejecting the correct password.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Sebkinne

Well, anything is possible but I do not believe that I got the password right and I have not been able to consistently repeat this break/bug. I have seen the same behaviour in the past with other openWRT installations. Quite frankly, I think I got lucky. I have been reviewing the 2.6.4 thread and believe that I read that the Password reset issue and reset button has been corrected?

R/

Z**

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, it looks like I've run into the same issue with my brand new pineapple. It came with 2.4.1 firmware. I just powered it up, changed the password via the UI utility, poked around in the UI a bit, then used the UI button to reboot for the password change to take effect. When it came back up, neither the new/old password worked. I used the reset button to get back to the default password. Booted it up, logged in to UI just fine, used the UI to change password again making sure to carefully type it correctly, rebooted immediately, and now I'm locked out.

As with others, neither the new/old passwords work and the reset button appears to be useless now. Holding for various amounts of time between 5-10 seconds does nothing. Neither does holding it any longer. This sucks.

Has anyone found a way to fix this yet (aside from serial cables and clean flashing)? I'm in the middle of trying to brute force the SSH connection on it while I wait to see what else can be done. Sounds like the only options are buy more stuff to fix it myself or try to exchange it. Is that correct?

And on another note, has the root cause of this been discovered yet?

Thanks.

EDIT: Well that was pretty damn quick. I found the correct password (thanks hydra). It seems that changing the password via the web UI does not properly handle spaces in the password. So my password actually got truncated to the first part before the first space. Using that, I was able to SSH in and manually run passwd from there to change it to the correct one. Then I used the UI reboot button to bounce the pineapple and it took the full password with spaces correctly.

I just upgraded to 2.7.0 successfully. I haven't tested the UI password change utility and don't feel to interested in doing so. Hopefully the issue has been resolved as of the 2.6.4 release as zettaquark mentioned. And the reset button is working again as well.

Hopefully that helps anyone else that runs into this issue.

Edited by vidkun

• 3 months later...

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV

Pineapple Software Version: 2.7.7

Desktop OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

PoE/LAN port IP: 192.168.2.11

Terminal App Used: Putty

Hey guys, I've been following this entire thread very diligently and have tried all the solutions recommended here. Unfortunately, I have not been able to replicate the success that some of you have had with resetting your pineapples. I was directed here after emailing shop at hak5 dot org and they recommended I ask around for any further solutions someone may have. I have tried the reset button with all the different time combinations I can think of and have also tried connecting to the pineapple via serial. I want to reiterate that I can connect to it, but the password just does not work.

One more important note...I was able to successfully boot into the pineapple after flashing to v2.7.7 and use the device. It was after I changed my password that I could not get back in.

I know everyone here has been working very hard to resolve their issues, but I'm hoping someone might have an idea that I could not think of that will help resolve my issue.

Thank you,

JCAG

Hey Mr-Protocol,

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll be happy to admit that I am not perfect lol so it's definitely possible that I'm doing something wrong! Could you tell me what steps you took so that I can compare it to my procedures and see if I did something wrong?

One more thing I should have probably mentioned in my first post is that I am using a serial board I had received with an old Fon router I bought overseas 1 year ago. Do you think there might be some incompatibilities there?

Thank you,

JCAG

I read the clean flash wiki and followed the steps previously, but it had not worked. I will definitely try the process again and see if I can access the boot loader option as I did not get that previously. I did also just order the Serial TTL Cable from the Hak Shop because it is possible my device may not be picking up the pineapple properly and I would like to make sure there is no room for error. Plus, I can always find use for the cable in the future for other things so its a win win.

I will wait for the serial device to arrive and give that a try. Thank you for the advice you have given me thus far and I will update you all as soon as I have a successful attempt.

Best Regards,

JCAG