Pick A 'con'...

Atomix.Gray

I'm a little biased, but having gone to Derbycon last year, it would be the one I will be trying to make again this year. Great location, laid back, relaxed, affordable, great people and vibe, and the talks we're pretty awesome as well. Got me excited to learn about a lot of new stuff, even if most of it was way over my head still.

The dualcore concert was incredible as well, one of the highlights of the conference, and something I hope they do again.

I'm a little biased, but having gone to Derbycon last year, it would be the one I will be trying to make again this year. Great location, laid back, relaxed, affordable, great people and vibe, and the talks we're pretty awesome as well. Got me excited to learn about a lot of new stuff, even if most of it was way over my head still.

The dualcore concert was incredible as well, one of the highlights of the conference, and something I hope they do again.

I'm in Ohio so it's a decent drive for me. I'll hopefully see you there. :)

I'm doing Defcon and Derby as well. We should arrange a hak5forums hang time at Derby! Grab a few beers? Try and get some suckers onto our pineapples? hehe

telot

I'm in Ohio so it's a decent drive for me. I'll hopefully see you there. :)

Fingers crossed that I can make it again this year, but definitely would love to go again and meet up with people from the forums.

I've never been to any of those events yet, so I'm wondering what are the requirements. Do I just show up, or do I have to register beforehand?

I mean, I just want to go to meet people and have a look around.

I've never been to any of those events yet, so I'm wondering what are the requirements. Do I just show up, or do I have to register beforehand?

I mean, I just want to go to meet people and have a look around.

Well, you can go to meet people, but most of the time, people will be on the floor where the talks are happening, and if you don't have a conference badge(something you buy before hand and register when attending, or can be done at the conference if seating is still available, which usually is) security will not let you into the areas that are part of the conference. You won't be able to attend talks, workshops, capture the flag events, crowd games and movies, etc. Most you would be able to do is sit at the bar in waiting for attendees to come for drinks or dinner. Derbycon is cheap enough at $150/ticket, its just getting there and hotel expenses for me that are the problem. If I had more income coming in, and my wife didn't need surgery on her leg, we'd be in much better shape for me to go again, but as of now, we might be bankrupt and homeless in a month or two.

By the way, want to help, buy a t-shirt. Instead of asking for donations from people, I'd much rather give people something in return. All profits go towards my family and her operation, so if you would like to help a brother out, buy a shirt from my site - http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/blog/call-for-help/all-your-packets-are-belong-to-me-t-shirt/

@Digip, thanks dude always helpful. I'm going to be placing an order, for that hoodie jacket with the skull.

Edited by Infiltrator

I am trying to get one of my mates from Facebook to come along with me. But I still haven't heard from him.

I missed out on getting a ticket to Shmoocon, so the only con this year will be Derbycon. Went to Defcon once, that was enough. Too many damn people, couldn't get into half the talks I wanted to. Shmoocon and Derbycon are the ones to try to go to. They're both smallish, so not too crowded. The cool part for me is I can drive to Derby the day of and still get there when they open. Though I might go the day before this time, the line all the way around the mezzanine sucked. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After years of yearning I was finally able to get to defcon this last year. It was a lot of fun, but the hotels were expensive. There was a conference discount, which ended 3 days before I was for sure able to go so that was kinda a bummer. There was a ton of awesome talks, a few good people, a couple of parties, and a ton of liquor even though I didn't partake. Once I stop drowning in my job and get up on dry land I'll make for another conference. Derby looks fun, might be more my speed then defcon was.

Derbycon amazed me thoroughly. We will return for sure. The atmosphere was so welcoming. Shmoocon holds a special place in my heart, as does Toorcon. Heidi and Geo know how to throw a party. And Defcon, what's there to say? Massive energy from that crowd. I can't pick just on but that's my top 4. The other non hacker cons like CES, E3 and NAB just don't compare.

Derbycon amazed me thoroughly. We will return for sure. The atmosphere was so welcoming. Shmoocon holds a special place in my heart, as does Toorcon. Heidi and Geo know how to throw a party. And Defcon, what's there to say? Massive energy from that crowd. I can't pick just on but that's my top 4. The other non hacker cons like CES, E3 and NAB just don't compare.

See you at DerbyCon!

YAY DERBYCON!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Derbycon as my first con last year, I had a blast. I made plans for Shmoocon, but I couldn't get a cheap enough flight due to my severe procrastination :3 Derbycon is pretty small, so it's really easy to meet people. I can't wait until this year's :)

One last note though, the do patrol the wifi there, so no rouge APs XD