Kibibytes Or Kilobytes ?

film

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difinitive answer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1+kilobyte+in+bytes

go flame elsewhere. 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes. just as 1 kilobit = 1024 bits. just as 1 megabyte = 1 024 kilobytes and 1 gigabyte = 1 024 megabytes and 1 terabytes = 1 024 gigabytes and 1 petabytes = 1 024 terabytes and 1 exabytes = 1 024 petabytes and on and on and on.

THE END

Difinitive answer:

go flame elsewhere. 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes. just as 1 kilobit = 1024 bits. just as 1 megabyte = 1 024 kilobytes and 1 gigabyte = 1 024 megabytes and 1 terabytes = 1 024 gigabytes and 1 petabytes = 1 024 terabytes and 1 exabytes = 1 024 petabytes and on and on and on.

THE END

WTF are you talking about flamming ? If you read i have already asnwerd that i said i just came and asked who uses the Mib way ... i didnt ask how many bytes are in a kilobyte ... I want to know does anyone use the way i said ??

kilobytes

no ... i mean well does any one like use Kibibytes the only three people i know who use it are ... BitTorrent , DC ++ and Wiki . i Was wondering do Windows say a kilobyte is 1024 i have been told they do but not sure ? ?? :S

it doenst matter what the OS says. It still doesnt change how many bytes are in a kb. They just say its 1000 for simplicity.

/me thinks this should of been locked a long time ago.

Difinitive answer:

THE END

o come on ure not really relying on google are you ?

in that case here -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&q=t...=Zoeken&lr=

2bad u guys cant read dutch cos in the dutch wikipedia article here

it gets explained why they done it wrong all those years http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veelvouden_van_bytes

hoep cooper will translate the needed ...

here's the last bit of the article in my best translation , i hope cooper wil translate the whole reason on top ....

presets according to the IEC-standard

In 1998 the International Electrotechnical Commission decided to

stop the confusion by creating a new standard for binairy presets . Sinds then

it is not wanted to use the normal presets kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta and exa

for powers of 1024. a megabyte thus is 1.000.000 bytes.

when u want to express a amount of 1.048.576 bytes it is now called a mebibyte.

here's the last bit of the article in my best translation , i hope cooper wil translate the whole reason on top ....

presets according to the IEC-standard

In 1998 the International Electrotechnical Commission decided to

stop the confusion by creating a new standard for binairy presets . Sinds then

it is not wanted to use the normal presets kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta and exa

for powers of 1024. a megabyte thus is 1.000.000 bytes.

when u want to express a amount of 1.048.576 bytes it is now called a mebibyte.

:wink: Thanks you ... i wanst making it up as some might thought

Honestly this is just silly, kibibytes was invented by the harddrive manufacturers (put forward through the IEC) so that they could continue to sell harddrives with less space than they advertise without getting sued.

Before the term was invented there was never confusion, only annoyance at harddrive manufacturers that had intentionally misstated the size of the drive you just bought. Everybody who cared knew that 1kb was equal to 1024bytes and the rest didn't notice the difference until drives got bigger and it was actually noticeable. Then as a preventative measure they invented a new unit to confuse any court that would have to deal with a potential class action suit.

It has been annoying us and starting pointless discussions ever since.

Honestly this is just silly, kibibytes was invented by the harddrive manufacturers (put forward through the IEC) so that they could continue to sell harddrives with less space than they advertise without getting sued.

Before the term was invented there was never confusion, only annoyance at harddrive manufacturers that had intentionally misstated the size of the drive you just bought. Everybody who cared knew that 1kb was equal to 1024bytes and the rest didn't notice the difference until drives got bigger and it was actually noticeable. Then as a preventative measure they invented a new unit to confuse any court that would have to deal with a potential class action suit.

It has been annoying us and starting pointless discussions ever since.

false ! ... cos they were still according to the IEC standard .

FFS ok stay ignorant , im tyred discussing with ppl that dont take to facts ...

FFS u kno wot , go ahead continue to believe in santaclaus & theeaster bunny ....

ARG :x

FFS u kno wot , go ahead continue to believe in santaclaus & theeaster bunny ....

Please look up the history of the unit instead of just getting angry and calling me ignorant.

I might have upped the paranoia for entertainment values but I'm not lying (too much). Everybody using and working with computers had come to the agreement where 1 kilobyte was equal to 1024 bytes while storage manufacturers were the only ones really opposed to that. There were a few more issues where people disagreed but nothing that really has any relevance today. I.e. nobody disagrees on what a megabit is anymore and floppys are kinda rare now (which were also a product of storage manufacturers btw).

But because of one group disagreeing the IEC organization created a "standard" which made it so that the vast majority is wrong and the harddrive manufacturers are right. I'm sorry but I just can't accept a standard like that.

OMFG STFU!!!! Dont be an asshole just because the universe doesnt conform to your damn standards. A KB has and alwasy will be 1024 bytes to ANYONE that knows computers well, because thats just the way it is. For anyone to come along and try to make rules and post findings about it, doesnt make people think differently, and thats what matters. If a comp goes into the shop for a GB of RAM, its gonna get 1024. PERIOD!! Who cares what some committee said. There is W3C standards for web pages, but do all pages comply? NO, because people will do things the way they always have. If you cant handle things not being the way you like them, your in trouble when you hit the real world.

There's an easy way to solve this:

1. Go in to any computer shop and ask for a Gibibyte of RAM.

2. Get a blank look or get laughed at (or more likely be made to feel dumb because you will be corrected)

3. Walk out of the shop with your answer.

There's an easy way to solve this:

1. Go in to any computer shop and ask for a Gibibyte of RAM.

2. Get a blank look or get laughed at (or more likely be made to feel dumb because you will be corrected)

3. Walk out of the shop with your answer.

look u guys can all keep bitching bout this but facts rfacts

the guys in that computer shop will say wot they learned them to say wich is 1024 but its wrong

if u get though 5+4 = 10 and someone asks u wot is 5+4 ? u'll answer 10

still that doesn't make 5+4=10 now does it ?

now if ure gonna continue bitching @least give some decent documentation from something that has authority over it and some explanation why its that way adn not the other way , (as i did if u would bother to read it) ....

else its just discussing for the sake of discussing .....