Kibibytes Or Kilobytes ?

film

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can some one lock this now?

I think we have all agreed that a kilobyte is 1024 bytes and there are no ifs or buts about it.

Oh please don't, this is the best frickin' train wreck I have even seen.

1KB = 1024 bytes FTW. :lol:

In all seriousness, I have been in the IT industry for some time. Computers have been my main hobby for over 22 years and I had never heard of this until I read this thread. Thanks for the information, but the facts are there are too many people who have used the 1024 method for too many years for this to ever really go anywhere.

Oh please don't, this is the best frickin' train wreck I have even seen.

1KB = 1024 bytes FTW. :lol:

In all seriousness, I have been in the IT industry for some time. Computers have been my main hobby for over 22 years and I had never heard of this until I read this thread. Thanks for the information, but the facts are there are too many people who have used the 1024 method for too many years for this to ever really go anywhere.

Yes i dont think it will go anywhere sadly, but if you want to use the correct terminology then i think you should use it but not in everyday life as not to many people know about it :(

who really cares, i mean when you ask someone how big a program is and they say 1kb you dont think to your self does he mean 1024bytes or 1000bytes now do you?

How many white people have you ever seen that are actually the color white? Or black people that are actually back. Its called accepted usage. If you cant handle that, then stay the hell away from the rest of the world and live in your own little universe.

How many white people have you ever seen that are actually the color white? Or black people that are actually back. Its called accepted usage. If you cant handle that, then stay the hell away from the rest of the world and live in your own little universe.

I have seen a lot of BLACK and WHITE people which are both them shades... but that is besides the point , i we are talking about the Metric System which is a well established way of measuring the length,mass,time,electric current,thermodynamic temperature,amount of substance,luminous intensity of what you want to measuer.It is also the world's most widely used system of units, both in everyday, commerce and in science.

i we are talking about the Metric System which is a well established way of measuring the length,mass,time,electric current,thermodynamic temperature,amount of substance,luminous intensity of what you want to measuer.

No, we are not talking about the metric system, we are talking about a mesument of bits (1s and 0s).

Any chance that the thread gets locked now?

No, we are not talking about the metric system, we are talking about a mesument of bits (1s and 0s).

Any chance that the thread gets locked now?

The prefixes used for byte measurements are written the same as the SI prefixes used for other measurements. Still this is the original questiong which is who uses the MiB way ( we have found out that windws uses KB= 1024) thanks to Sparda :wink: .. but does anyone say that KB = 1000