Kibibytes Or Kilobytes ?

film

Hi ... As we know computers are a base-2 which is binary 1 & 0

2^.. well i was wondering what uses Kibibytes instead of the base-10 way that are used by HDD companies ?

-p.s

if i am wrong on any of the stuff i have said please let me know

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No im asking why do people not use KiB which is the proper name for 1024 bytes when everyone else uses KB like windows but it is incorrect as one KB = 1000 bytes and not 1024 ? Also what uses KiB if anything ?

1KB = 1024 bytes

1MB = 1024 Kilobytes

1GB = 1024 Megabytes

1TB = 1024 Gigabytes

all wrong ok ... lets do the top one

1KB = 1024 bytes

KB=KiloBytes yes ? well what is a kilo ? it is 1000 as kilo is latin for 1000, so you are telling me that 1000 KB = 1024 no because computers are on the base-2 then how can you get 1000 no such thing. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 ok well that why you cant get 1000 so i was wondering what uses KiB ? which is Kilo-binary-bytes ?? as it is the correct way ?

i think we are confusing are selfs ... all im asking is why dont we people like Micrsoft and all of them use the correct terminology instead of sayins a Kilobyte is a 1024 Bytes Whens its not it 1000 bytes ?

no they are right you got it wrong 1 Kb isnt 1024 bytes it is 1000 bytes as kilo means 1000. to get 1024 its called a Kibibyte which stands for ( kilo-binary-byte) 1 KB is NOT 1024 as a kilo means 1000 and in 1999 Kibibytes where Made so i was wondering who uses them ? As the Rest of the people are wrong thinking 1 KB = 1024 ??

Sparda, he's simply stating a true fact. Kilo is 1000 of whatever you want in to be. Bytes, grams, whatever. He's pointing out that a kilobyte in computers ='s 1024 but in reality it would equal 1000 because it's KILO, not KIBI.

The term "kilobyte" was first used to refer to a value of 1024 bytes (2^10), because the binary nature of digital computers lends itself to quantities that are powers of two, and 2^10 is roughly one thousand. As computers became more widely used, this misuse (according to the BIPM) of the SI prefix spread from the slang of computer professionals into the mainstream lexicon, creating much confusion.

The Kilobyte artical on wikipedia, explains this in detail.

1024 bytes (210): This definition is always used to express memory capacity, and other quantities which are based on powers of two. Most software also uses it to express storage capacity. This definition has been expressly forbidden by the SI standard, and most standards organizations instead recommend the term kibibyte (KiB). Although the word "kibibyte" is seldom seen in practice, it is starting to be adopted by software in which precision is important, such as BitTorrent or the Linux kernel.

It is the hard drive manurfacturers who are wrong.

Good Someone understands me so what why doesnt Windows use it , no they are not wrong becasue i.e hdd has 1 KB on it,it will have 1000 KB on it like they said but ... if it said 1KiB it means it would have 1024 KB on it which is what you think it should have but its not as they sue KB and not KiB

It was a naming convention that was ended in a lawsuit if I remember rightly that decided this.

HDD manufactures did use MiB, KiB etc. naming but they had to stop because they were basically told to do so.

So thats why the often print on HDD labels 1,000Bytes = 1KiloByte.

However since then Kilobyte has been used to represent 1,024Bytes, which makes more sence as everything is based on powers of 2.

Nobody ever used KiB since only really slow people have a problem with recognizing that in the different domains it kilo has different meanings. It really doesn't matter what the proper way of saying something is when something else has become the way everybody says and understands it.

No im asking why do people not use KiB which is the proper name for 1024 bytes when everyone else uses KB like windows but it is incorrect as one KB = 1000 bytes and not 1024 ? Also what uses KiB if anything ?

actually this guy is right !

so stop herassing him !

it changed a few years back .....

here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/k/kibibit.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/k/kibibyte.htm

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Kibibit

Somewhat off topic but worth mentioning just FYI...

Storage is generally measured in BYTES

Speed is generally measured in BITS (per second)

Hence, 1.5Mbps (megaBITS per second) only equals roughly 190KB/s. Of course, you'll never achieve 100% throughput, due to overhead, packet loss, etc.

if the people currently using computers were the only ones that was ever going to use computers, then there would be no need to change it. Of course that is not the case though...

For anyone familiar with the metric conventions, he/she would think that 'kilobyte' means '1000 bytes'.

So we can either:

* correct the relatively small amount A of people that think kilobyte is 1024 bytes that that is not the case

or

* tell the great great unborn amount B of people that are new to computers that kilobyte is exactly what they think it is and that 1024 bytes is called a kibibyte.

Since B >> A