Backtrack 5 Is Out

BoNk3rZz

so what flavor are you downloading.. and why  

26 members have voted

1. 1. 32 or 64, Gnome or Kde OR Arm

Whenever I am running a Linux/Windows server always opt to go with 64bit.

Larger memory footprint and above all, I can allocate more memory to services, apps and etc.

I'm really glad they decided to offer it in Gnome and KDE flavors..........though it looks like the "dragon" utility for easily switching between KDE/GNOME and Fluxbox is gone! :o Bummer.

I've got the 32-bit Gnome VMWare version going right now.

I am also going 64-bit.

BTW did anyone else noticed that on 64-bit gnome there is a second "Boot from Text Mode"? A small mishap or did I just dl'ed a fake? :P

If I am not mistaken, the second option is a noswap nochanges sort of deal. If you try to apt-get install and download files, you eventually run out of space.

By the way, I'm running the KDE 64-bit version and just finished installing it in VMware. If you run into any problems with X not starting for the KDE 64BIT ISO, follow my instructions here on my site: http://bit.ly/lMr2DJ

Downloading the Gnome 32bit via Torrent so see how it goes. I can use 64-bit. but my older acer aoa-150 32bit and very portable.

Doesn't the Atom do 64-bit as well?

Congrats DigiP, I seen you on the BT5 list for people who helped in development. Looks awesome, not sure what ARM version is, but am going to get both the 32 and 64 bit versions since I have 2 boxes. Plus for VM.. I am more used to Gnome I think, so will roll with that one. unless there is an advantage to using KDE, but I am thinking it is what you are more used too using but could be wrong. edit:// ARM version looks like for tablets?

Congrats DigiP, I seen you on the BT5 list for people who helped in development. Looks awesome, not sure what ARM version is, but am going to get both the 32 and 64 bit versions since I have 2 boxes. Plus for VM.. I am more used to Gnome I think, so will roll with that one. unless there is an advantage to using KDE, but I am thinking it is what you are more used too using but could be wrong. edit:// ARM version looks like for tablets?

Thanks...

32 and 64 bit are for x86 chip architectures, like Intel and AMD. ARM is its own chip architecture, like you see in phones, mobiles, hand-helds, and tablets (Like the new Xoom tablet). Basically anything that is running Honeycomb should support it, but ARM support is in the early stages and testing is still sort of beta mode/proof of concept for now. Not meant for serious users, so don't wipe your tablets yet, just boot off the SD and chroot to backtrack to use it. I was talkign with Mati and asked if the new Asus Transformer would work as an alternative to some of the more expensive ones like the Xoom, and his words were, it should work, but he doesn't own one and can't test, so its up to you to try it but no guarantees at this point.

Edited by digip

I have no idea why the live disc will not run, maybe someone can help. This is the second time I burned the gnome-64 disc and it just goes to something saying about it being a Debian linux system created by Peter Alvin I think from whatever to 2009, then says kernal can not be found or something and says "boot:" I tried a bunch of bash commands and can not get it to boot. I know I have dual processor, and the download was successful and yeah I need a android device now too lol any ideas why it just says boot:? BT4 works.

I have no idea why the live disc will not run, maybe someone can help. This is the second time I burned the gnome-64 disc and it just goes to something saying about it being a Debian linux system created by Peter Alvin I think from whatever to 2009, then says kernal can not be found or something and says "boot:" I tried a bunch of bash commands and can not get it to boot. I know I have dual processor, and the download was successful and yeah I need a android device now too lol any ideas why it just says boot:? BT4 works.

Few things, verify the hash that its the correct file that matches your ISO file you downloaded.

Name: 	BT5-GNOME-ARM.7z

Size: 	1060

Flavor: 	GNOME

Arch: 	arm

Image: 	IMG 

Download: 	Direct 

MD5: 	a66bf35409f4458ee7f35a77891951eb

Name: 	BT5-GNOME-VM-32.7z

Size: 	1550

Arch: 	32 bit

Image: 	VMWare 

MD5: 	75d22c92c0188fb6af761f0de1c67399

Name: 	BT5-GNOME-32.iso

Size: 	1910

Arch: 	32 bit

Image: 	ISO 

MD5: 	b01a93a916fabb6d1640bd0054428e17

Name: 	BT5-GNOME-64.iso

Size: 	1910

Arch: 	64 bit

Image: 	ISO 

MD5: 	75c4e7a969abc873d9e085656b156345

Make sure you only download from http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/ and not linked off another site. I highly doubt, but its possible a mirror of theirs was whacked and you downloaded the wrong file, but that would be really weird to see that happen, but re-download, just to be safe if all else fails.

When you boot off the disk, it should say "boot:" and then you hit enter, and it loads the grub menu. The grub menu should have the backtrack dragon in it for the live disc background, but won't once its installed natively. If you aren't seeing this, then you probably don't have backtrack 5 for an x86 machines and you might have downloaded the ARM package by mistake, which shouldn't boot at all on a PC. ARM is selected by default when you go to the download section. Make sure you pic 32 or 64 bit instead, and then gnome or kde.

Edited by digip

I'm rocking BT5-Gnome-32 on my Macbook Pro, as stated here, http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-5-hardware-compatibility-list/41189-macbook-pro-bcm4328-r5-b-g-n-%5Bworking%5D.html

And BT5-Gnome-64 on my main tower. I already have a custom ubuntu image on one of my droid's, But will probably switch to the ARM image once I get some time.

As for why Gnome>KDE, Personal preference I sippose, although KDE4 does look pretty clean.

10/10 to the BackTrack team. Great job.

Edited by leg3nd