Wired Vs Wireless

Trip

Im currently debating doing away with my wired network connections.

Will i notice any difference in reliability / speed ?

im running WPA2 with a pretty secure pass so i doubt anyone would hack my network

should i do it ? comments please

Remember that with wireless for every device that connects to the AP the bandwidth available to each computer at full consumption is evenly shared between each device.

e.g.

1 device = 54Mbps / 1 = 54Mbps per device

2 devices = 54Mbps / 2 = 27Mbps per device

Although this is nearly correct, it's not quite, for every device the connects the management overhead increases as well, so really the bandwidth is evenly shared plus some small amount of bandwidth is lost entirely for managing all the devices.

WiFi is slower and the total speed (54mbit for 802.11g) has to be shared between the devices, so I'd say it's a pretty bad idea to have your whole house on wifi. Gigabit ethernet ftw.

One of the benifits of having a wireless network, is not having to run wires in the house, however you have to bear in mind that wireless is not as fast as ethernet, furthermore encryption will also have some minor impact on the wireless throughput and in addition the more devices connected to the wireless the more overhead it will experience.

In terms of realibility, wireless will suffer from interference caused by other cord-less devices, so it is very important to establish whether there will be other wireless devices operating in your house or network ensuring that they are not operating on the same channels.

However if you want a wireless network operating 24/7 without any downtime you could look into wireless load balancing, which distributes the load across multiple wireless access points, increasing reability and reducing overhead on the network.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Infiltrator

Edited by Infiltrator

excellent replies and pretty speedy too lol :D

... im only running 2/3 pc's and my phone .... although when i install my kitchen and security cam server

i think ill have the 2 main pc's wired and the security cam and kitchen pc on wireless :)

ill let u know how it goes if any of my games lag ill be switching back

excellent replies and pretty speedy too lol :D

... im only running 2/3 pc's and my phone .... although when i install my kitchen and security cam server

i think ill have the 2 main pc's wired and the security cam and kitchen pc on wireless :)

ill let u know how it goes if any of my games lag ill be switching back

I think for games you will be better off with a non-blocking switch if you plan in doing a Lan party, apart from that good luck.

If your not kicking large files about your network, or streaming HD media across it, you will probably be fine. Otherwise I'd use gigabit where possible and wireless for machines which can't be reached by cables or a reduction in bandwidth isn't an issue. As long as your wireless password isn't a dictionary word and 20+ chars you shouldn't have a problem with WPA2.

i usually use dlink 530 tx's they're so reliable but v oldskool

seriously considering this router option (latest vid) i may add some network points around the home

would be a nice project + id learn how to wire cat5

Edited by Trip

i usually use dlink 530 tx's they're so reliable but v oldskool

seriously considering this router option (latest vid) i may add some network points around the home

would be a nice project + id learn how to wire cat5

I lucked out with my house, it has a finished basement with hung ceiling. Made running cables cake. I've done it though an attic though. A little harder, but not too bad. Crawling in a crawlspace under a house is the worst though. Freaking cobwebs everywhere. <_<

If you have your house wired nicely and tidy...wired ether is teh sex.

If you have cable running everywhere like a mad woman's shit...wireless might be the option.

In my network at home, my main pc is wired and so is my storage server.

The wifes' laptop, my laptop, ipod touch, media server are all wireless.

I'm running an old linksys wrt54g with ddwrt firmware with a lovely dose of QOS goodness.

I gotta say everyones happy.

If you have your house wired nicely and tidy...wired ether is teh sex.

If you have cable running everywhere like a mad woman's shit...wireless might be the option.

In my network at home, my main pc is wired and so is my storage server.

The wifes' laptop, my laptop, ipod touch, media server are all wireless.

I'm running an old linksys wrt54g with ddwrt firmware with a lovely dose of QOS goodness.

I gotta say everyones happy.

Tidy is the way to go.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_0041.JPG

I plan to build a similar server rack in the future. Apart from that, what services are running in the server, or what do you use it mainly for? Furthermore, how much storage capacity have you got at the moment.

Edited by Infiltrator

I plan to build a similar server rack in the future. Apart from that, what services are running in the server, or what do you use it mainly for? Furthermore, how much storage capacity have you got at the moment.

The 1U server is my smoothwall box, overkill, but I had it. The next server down is running Windows Home Server, about 3Tb of space in that. The next one with all the drive bays is also a WHS with about 2TB of space, they're all ide, mostly 250Gb drives and a few 120's. The G5 on the bottom has 4Tb of space, that's the media server. The one with the drives is an older Chenbro server case. I have 4 more of them, all ide, but the sata backplanes aren't too terrible. I'll probably convert to sata eventually. It's similar to this one, but with ide backplanes.