Hackintosh?

StarchyPizza

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses Mac on their non apple products?

If so how practical is it? Is it the same as if you just bought a Mac or do you have limited features?

I know on some previous versions, you can't update otherwise it would crash.

Can someone confirm this for me on their personal experience?

I've had some personal experience with this the past couple of days. It's been really a pain and I've given up.

It's possible, but requires a lot of tweaking. If you do a vanilla snow leopard install, it's a pain because you have to format the drive as a GUID partitioning scheme. Or you can use a hacked distro and fight through the updating process.

My main goal was to get iLife 09 installed for Garageband and iMovie. I got snow leopard installed, but it took a bios update. And I couldn't get it to boot directly off the drive, I had to use a Chameleon boot disk to get it to boot. Also, I didn't get audio to work which is important to my goal. Also, my alpha wireless wouldn't connect to my WPA secured wifi. I gave up and ended up putting windows 7 back on. I can accomplish what I want from OSX with windows. I just like those apps. I refuse to pay an outrageous amount for apple hardware. Hopefully someday apple will release OSX for plain jane computers. I'd be willing to pay money to dual boot OSX and windows on a windows box.

I personally just finished hackintoshing my sony vaio using mechdrews netbook guide, and it was a pain!!! after numerous hardware failures and trouble getting the flash drive to mount again after osx was installed to update it, i finally finished and going from vista to osx was awsome for me it was completely worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm dual booting win7 and snow leopard

i am on a hackintosh right now

and i love it, its very responsive

it wasn't easy to install but it was well worth it

i installed the vanilla snow leopard so updates are no problem for me

but you do have to be careful before you upgrade cuz some updates will crash your computer

i have a geekbench score that matches some of the new mac pro's

-r1

U have done it a few times and have owned a real apple as well. Mac OSX is pretty, but I feel generally an OS for people who don't know how to use computers. There, I said it.

On the subject, a legit now leopard disc inserted after empire efi bot disc has had 100% success rate for me, including 3d acceleration for my 9800GT. I had issues with the other variations and kernel extensions not specific to my devices.

I've got a Mac and a Dell Mini 9 hack, and I have to say, it runs pretty good, despite being an Atom Processor and 1GB Memory. Right now, its running 10.6 and running good. Did the install with the latest version of NetbookInstaller. The Mini 9 is going back to linux though, to free up some disc space, and because Linux handles movies better then OS X (mkv's stutter on OS X, dont in linux)

I have a few Mac's - but i recently dual booted my old laptop (1.8ghz dual core, intel 945 2gb ddr2) with XP and OSX 10.6, after a lot of tweaking and kext installing, it runs like a dream. runs final cut pro just like the mac's. sound is perfect, internet, video, even runs mac games. only problem is theres no Intel Wireless OSX support, so i need a new wireless adapter. runs just as good as my new unibody white macbook! I used iAtkos btw

I've got a Mac and a Dell Mini 9 hack, and I have to say, it runs pretty good, despite being an Atom Processor and 1GB Memory. Right now, its running 10.6 and running good. Did the install with the latest version of NetbookInstaller. The Mini 9 is going back to linux though, to free up some disc space, and because Linux handles movies better then OS X (mkv's stutter on OS X, dont in linux)

Linux handles movies better on non-Mac hardware then OSX. I've not found a movie on the internet I can't play on my Macs.