Australia Day

psydT0ne

My first gut reaction to your post was to call you a fuckin' dickhead and dismiss you as a piece of fly shit....

My gut reaction is usually the right one.

I spend my Australia Day, not focusing on a few negative isolated events, but enjoying myself with my family and friends celebrating the real freedoms we have.

I'm proud that I'm an Aussie, mate and if your living here (Australia) and feel the way you do...I feel sorry for you.

You've really got your views on the way the country is completely arse-fucked backwards.

whoa whoa whoa man relax. It was just a joke.

I'm aussie too man and i was just having a crack at people who ruin the day by doing that shit. Dunno about where you are man, but its pretty common in sydney.

Sorry man.

Btw, happy australia day.

Just don't drink more than 24 beers.

lol Tell that one to the Australian cricket team. Doesn't Boony hold a record for most drinks consumed on a flight or something.

Happy Australia day all, enjoy your public holiday of awesomeness.

The Australia that means something to me doesnt exist. Pandering to minority lobby groups, policy development by weak willed politicians, terrible infrastructure and the general populous becoming more and more americanised makes me sick.

Does that include your confederate flag wearing avatar?

The Australia that means something to me doesnt exist. Pandering to minority lobby groups, policy development by weak willed politicians, terrible infrastructure and the general populous becoming more and more americanised makes me sick.

Hear, hear.

Mnemonic the rebel flag is a symbol of a war for states rights. The people of the south fought for their state rights because they felt government was getting too big. They should have freed the slaves then gone to war so history was kinder to them.

While i admit i have a Alabama state flag on the back of my ute and Tennessee titans(NFL) bumper sticker and a Tennessee state flag on the veranda(this is a good laugh). I just do it for a bit of fun.

I think you will find it's multiculturalism that is not working in this country.

I still have my dads government issued "English for newcomers" book given to him when he arrived in Australia and I'll bet you any money you want that a lot of Australians will have one as well, hidden away in a box of things in there parents or grandparents houses. Its lack of integration that causes problems with immigration, not multiculturalism. There needs to be 2-way effort from the host nation and the immigrants.

(it is funny hearing Australians and Americans talking about foreigners coming to there countries and not doing things the way the locals do).

I'll accommodate the new comers. I feel they just need to make the effort to learn English and adopt(be thankful to be here maybe). My tolerance wears thin when 2nd generation still failing to adopt! I'm happy to be in Australia and thankful this is my home. That said if a country were around that shared my values(which won't happen because my values comes from living in Australia) to a tee I'd be gone.

wtf English for newcomers? I am assuming your folks are from the UK like yourself? if so thats just mental! English for English people 0_o

I couldn't agree more Vako its defiantly a two way effort.

My Dad is half German, half Latvian. Moved to Adelaide with his family from Coburg when he was 7 and didn't speak English until he was 8. Eventually he moved to the UK to get away from being drafted to serve in Vietnam.

The Australian government for the most part bends over backwards for immigrants. It's no secret that more and more Aussies are becoming more and more resistant to th influx when it appears that the getting favored, offered better benefits and in some industries taking jobs.

People want to cry discrimination or that we're racist but it's just throwing mud that people are scared will stick to them. I don't give a shit and and am happy to say I think the immigration laws here are a joke. I would also happily deport any illegals instantly, but I would also like to expel the lazy trash as well, born here or not.

Question, you have one slot on the deportation boat left, and you are presented with 2 people, one is a Indonesian man who doesn't speak English and arrived illegally, but works 16 hours a day, every day in as a laborer on a farm and sends most of the money home to his family. He'd love to be here legally and bring his family over, but he doesn't know how to make this happen. The second is a natural born Australian who spent his school years pissing about, eventually getting into crime, has never had a job and honestly doesn't give a shit about anything aside from partying. Who gets the free boat ride?

I would send both away, as one slot left is meaningless because there will be more than one boat. Further more, any illegal immigrant, irrespective of country will be sen home and their country handed the bill. Any foreign aid to those countries will be reduced accordingly, if it continues it will get cut off altogether. I work will several people who have immigrated from India, Pakistan etc who are excellent at their job. They followed the correct process to immigrate here.

There is a legal process to enter the country, if you don't respect our laws enough to obey them, then you shouldn't be here.

But how will you deal with human nature? The idea of strict controls on where people can go on a global scale is relatively new, and in all honesty the sheer disparity between 1st world nations and developing nations is the number one reason people do not respect these imaginary lines in the sand that dictate where they can and cannot live. If I lived in a dirt poor country then I sure as hell would do everything in my power to get my ass into a better situation even if it was breaking the law. If life is shit, what is the worst that can happen to you if your discovered? Additionally, by cutting aid, your causing yet more disparity between nations. Would not a more effective method of stopping immigration be to invest in the country they are coming from and work to make life better there, thus negating there desire to leave? But then, if you did that you would be cutting into your own work force as the economy relies on other nations being to shit to do what you can.

My Dad is half German, half Latvian. Moved to Adelaide with his family from Coburg when he was 7 and didn't speak English until he was 8. Eventually he moved to the UK to get away from being drafted to serve in Vietnam.

Ah that makes more sense but then again our Goverment does do many stupid things so handing English books to English speakers wouldn't surpise me in the slightest.

But how will you deal with human nature? The idea of strict controls on where people can go on a global scale is relatively new, and in all honesty the sheer disparity between 1st world nations and developing nations is the number one reason people do not respect these imaginary lines in the sand that dictate where they can and cannot live. If I lived in a dirt poor country then I sure as hell would do everything in my power to get my ass into a better situation even if it was breaking the law. If life is shit, what is the worst that can happen to you if your discovered? Additionally, by cutting aid, your causing yet more disparity between nations. Would not a more effective method of stopping immigration be to invest in the country they are coming from and work to make life better there, thus negating there desire to leave? But then, if you did that you would be cutting into your own work force as the economy relies on other nations being to shit to do what you can.

Exactly! And if you were to invest money into another country to stem the flow of illegals your own citizens would cry foul that you aint doing enough to help those in your own back yard who are living in poverty. immigration is one of those touchy subjects that is hard to come up with a good set of policies seeing as no matter what you do their are always major pros or cons, like most things you have to find a balance and settle with it.

I also have friends who have come here legally and hearing from their experiences the Government use immigration as a nice form of revenue raising. Sure it cost money to process each of these individuals but surely it doesn't cost as much as what they charge to lodge a few bloody forms.

I think the one thing that annoys most averages Aussies is that most of the illegals that do come here are not genuine asylum seekers and are coming here for economic asylum. but the argument that can be made here is these desperate individuals would be more inclined to work and contribute to the country.

Seems this issue is pretty big again lately with all the Indian student bashing's going on in Melbourne and talk of lowering our immigration intake (which I do agree on).

One thing I find amusing is in the Indian media we are seen as a raciest nation due to all the Indian bashing's. The irony here is most of the people who were caught on camera harming the Indian students were of Lebanese descent and not your typical whitey.

Another thing that amused me a crap laod was how the Americans saw this KFC add as raciest. shows how much research their news networks do before making comments. The U.K folks would understand that this is add was in no way intended to be raciest. KFC are one of the major sponsors for cricket. And the line "stuck in an awkward situation" is referring to the fact that he is in an Indian cheers squad and because cricket is played with one nation playing an other obviously India is going to have an all black crowd.

Sure if you life is shit your going to break the law to escape it etc, but if you get caught you face the consequences. Laws are laws for a reason. Ivesting money into other nations in my opinion is foolish when we need the funds here. The medical and educations systems in Australia can alway use more funding, and I would prefer my kids get the benefits than people overseas.