What are some of the problems with windows vista?

patience

Hey guys

I want a new laptop, think about a hp. but all the laptops from hp have windows vista. I am used to windows XP and i have heard that vista has many problems, but what kind of problems? also how often do they occur? should i choose another laptop without vista?

The problem is its not XP nor 7, Upgrade to 7 if you can, or downgrade to XP until you can get 7. 7 is not without its own issues, but its very stable for the most part, and doesnt act like such a hog on a decen tsystem as Vista does. Not too much faster than Vista, but I've been using both now, and 7 just improves where Vista should have not gone in the first place. Overall, Vista is fairly secure, and if you have a powerfull machine, you wont have any issues other than maybe the occasional network issue if using it on a domain. Had a few Vista machines seem to get corrupt profiles and causing Explorer crashes and restarts a lot, but to its defense, might be thrid party software related, havent been able to diagnose the problem yet.

Vista is a resource hog compared to xp and 7. Windows 7 preforms as well if not some what better than windows xp. I would supply a reference but cbf finding the linkage.

BTW I work at a laptop store in Aus that is an authorized re-seller of HP products and to be honest I can't even recommend them. I have had x3 Compaq's in the past few years and each one of them have kicked the bucket. Keyboard's often need replacement (and no I am not rough with them) also the pin where the power adapter plugs into often breaks. Granted compaqs are the budget range but I recently switched to a dell inspirion (also budget range) and it has never missed a beat for two years.

We also repair other makes and models and we do a fair few Toshiba Satellites, Asus and a fuck load of shitty ACER's. Very rarely do I see a Dell, Sony or IBM thinkpad come into our store for a hardware repair.

But this is just my own personal opinion do your research and choose something that suits your needs and budget. I also highly recommend windows 7. If you are moving straight from XP to 7 you will find it a lil annoying to navigate around and customize things at first. Also networking is a little different but google is your friend.

p.s: TURN OFF UAC fuck thats annoying!

pss: Most new laptops come with a free upgrade to windows 7 home edition or something now days I believe.

The biggest issue with Vista was that its prefetcher was far to aggressive for the majority of home pc's when it was released. This has been toned down in Windows 7 which annoys me as it may have killed low-spec PC's that were rebooted often, but if you had 8GB of RAM and used the sleep function it was pretty good. x64 Vista/7 is also much more secure than XP.

Basically, if you have an x64 processor that is core 2 duo+, 2GB or more memory (more is always better) and a 7200rpm HDD then Vista/7 will be fine.

I think in the past with Windows Vista it was buggy drivers for peripherals and hardware components. That was a big reason why we did not upgrade at work, some of the USB devices at use at workstations would not work with Vista.

Windows 7 has solved a lot of those problems, but I agree on turning the UAC off.

While I agree that UAC is annoying, it's tough to say you need to just turn it off because it really does add a layer of security, but as always the more secure the o.s. the more annoying it is.

However, I have found with Windows 7, UAC is FAR LESS annoying. Also, I wanted to add that the only issue I have ever had with Vista is it's speed. Windows 7 is definitely the way to go.

Crazy as it is, I have had this compaq for about a year and a half and have not had any issues with it. I know it's cheap. (hell it cost me only $450) But not one problem aside from running hot as hell, but that's because it's a really cheap Athlon x2 chip in it. At the same time I have treated it like a small child, and will continue to do so. But if it were not for the super low budget I had at the time, I would have gone with either Dell or Lenovo. As far as I am concerned, Gateways LCLP (low cost laptops) are crap [poor lcd swivel holders, and horrid power plug issues]

***I wanted to also add, don't get a Dell laptop with a slot-loading dvd drive.***

My sis-in law has one, has a problem with the dvd drive, and you have to take it down to the chassis to get it out of the laptop. This is unacceptable for repair later on down the road...

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the UAC kind of the same thing as having a Admin and Limited user account. With the idea of utilizing the limited user for basic use and when you wish to install something you use the run as administrator feature. Like what sudo is for linux.

Ah yes I have heard about those slot loading dvd drives. I have also seen standard ones that require a lot of messing around just to take out. That said alot of the current dell product have the Hard drive and cd rom drive accessible on the side of the laptop which slides out nice and easy.

Totally agree with ya HEX on dell or lenovo. Most corporate environments/educational institutions I have been to generally use Dell optiplex as the desktop work horse and the Lenovo or thinkpad for their roaming users (have seen dell laptops too).

I will say from a home user prospective the dell has a nice featureful and easy to use bios, some great diagnostics utilities and if you ever lose the driver cd their website is easy to navigate for locating your stuff. IBM on the other hand can be a bit of a bitch. I had a few ex corporate IBM thinkpads to do a while back and that Trusted platform Module (TPM) gave me the shits as much as locating drivers/enabling the wifi card in bios (never knew you could disable it in there).

BTW I am on my mothers compaq presario f500 which I was repairing for 3 hours late last night. Keys stopped working again and it needed an install. Upgraded to Win 7 ultimate.

BTW I am on my mothers compaq presario f500 which I was repairing for 3 hours late last night. Keys stopped working again and it needed an install. Upgraded to Win 7 ultimate.

Dude, i'm just interested, did you do a registry hack upgrade or a proper out of the box upgrade??

Well a guy I went to tafe with works at high school and they received some Win 7 trial dvd that has all the versions from home to Ultimate for both i86 and 64. You install it as a complete reformat and it gives you a month or something as a trial. He also gave me some windows 7 loader which automatically adjusts the registry and what ever else needs to be done so it becomes a genuine Microsoft product. Great thing is I can get all the updates and its completely free of crapware. XD