Mac Book Pro

wh1t3 and n3rdy

For: It's an Apple product.

Against: It's an Apple product...

They are interesting laptops, and OSX is nice if that's what your after. Apple have a reputation for being high quality, but this might not be 100% on par with reality.

Personally, unless you are wedded to the idea of OSX, I would recommend that you take a look at the HP Envy laptop, for $3700 you can get 1.73GHz i7, 16GB RAM and a 320GB SSD, and the base option is quite respectable. It looks nicer than a Macbook imo, has a high resolution screen, better graphics and personally I think its a far better machine.

Agree...

I own a MBP from a few years ago. She's been nice to me, and its been fun messing around with Apple's Darwin *nix (although I prefer any Linux distro over the OS X kernel.), and the media editing perks are a definite plus if you're a movie editing/ photoshop junkie like me.

IMHO, I would not buy again. Apple seems to have a kick going on where they completely obliterate their products 6 months after you purchase. Sure, one could say that about any PC/ laptop available, but the sting from that just has got me in a rut with Apple. First it was the Macbook, then I bought an iphone 3g, only to find out this past summer, they release the 3GS with full video capability right after I jailbroke mine. My .02: Get a killer laptop for the same price, install your favorite distro (and Windozzze if ya have to) and live free.

For: It's an Apple product.

Against: It's an Apple product...

They are interesting laptops, and OSX is nice if that's what your after. Apple have a reputation for being high quality, but this might not be 100% on par with reality.

Personally, unless you are wedded to the idea of OSX, I would recommend that you take a look at the HP Envy laptop, for $3700 you can get 1.73GHz i7, 16GB RAM and a 320GB SSD, and the base option is quite respectable. It looks nicer than a Macbook imo, has a high resolution screen, better graphics and personally I think its a far better machine.