Spec the best computer possible

proskater123

I am looking to buy the best computer money can build. So in a way money is no issue. I want the fastest computer you can spec. I've been looking and it seems like I always find something better after I finish. What is teh best motherboard, cpu, the most ram, available for the best performance. Its not a server but a desktop that i am looking for. So pretty much what is the best parts out there available?

Dell PowerEdge R905 with 4x 2.8GHz 6 Core Opterons, 128GB of RAM, 2x SAS 15K 2.5" 146GB RAID1, 6x SAS 7.2K SAS 2.5" 500GB RAID5. Comes to about £20250, and you will need a soundcard, and a pair of ATI Radeon 5970 2048MB for £1400.

The God Box (October 2009)

Supermicro X8DTi

Two Intel Xeon W5580's Retail

Two Thermalright HR-01 Plus heatsinks

Two Scythe Kama PWM 120mm fans (DFS122512L-PWM)

Two Crucial 12GB (3x4GB) ECC Registered DDR3-1333 kits

Two Diamond Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Asus Xonar D2

Adaptec 5805 SAS RAID controller

Two Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB SSD

Four Hitachi A7K2000 2TB SATA

Pioneer BDR-203BK

DVD±/CD-RW: Samsung SH-S223F

Silverstone TJ10

Six Scythe Slipstream 120mm fans (SY1225SL12M)

Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W

APC Smart-UPS 2200

Two Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCDs

Logitech Z-5500 Digital

Logitech Cordless MX 5500

Total price: $13,664.75, not including shipping and handling (10/23/2009, no OS)

Psychosis specced a nice machine, but I'd replace the air cooling with liquid cooling myself, and the graphics cards with 5970s.

Then overclock em all.

I just copypasted it from the link I posted. That was done before the launch of the 5970s, but I agree there. I'm personally not a fan of liquid cooling though - so much can go wrong.

You're never going to get the best pc money can buy.

The sooner that you realise that the hardware your spending money on today will be obsolete within three months, the sooner you'll be content in building a pc with a realistic budget, that will suit your needs instead of making silly statements like money is no object.

Well.. Not trying to burst a bubble, but what kinda performance are you looking for? Server style performance, or Gaming style performance? Since everyone gave builds based on server based performance, where multiple cores from multiple processors is key, I figure I would see what I can build. I'm just saying, if your looking for gaming performance, you want a multithreaded chip, but not more than one, because unless the game your playing supports it, your not going to use any of the other 3 opterons or xeons or whatever you throw in it. (and yes I know he just said the fastest you can buy)

newegg1.jpg

.. Oh yeah, and throw in another $400 for water blocks for the chipset, cpu, video cards, and memory.

BUT.. If money is REALLLY not an issue???

800px-Oak_Ridge_-_Kraken_(Cray_XT5).JPG

Just remember, as everyone else stated, everything, even that kraken XT5 will be out dated soon enough.

While I highly agree with you Wh1t3 and n3rdy about the screens, you gotta admit, that would be more of an ultimate entertainment/gaming system rather than a work box.

And yes.. I wouldn't EVER have a system of this caliber without a UPS. Hell.. My build is worth all 3 of mine and my wife's cars combined... But I would never spend that kind of money on a system, even if I had it. Now if you know someone who wants that build.. heh. I only charge 15% total of parts before shipping.. hmm... what would that be? $2836.33? Hell. Keep the change!

compensating for something?

Judging by your first post, and by the one i quoted, i rate your between 14-17 years of age.

Yeah my first post was crap. But what 14 - 17 year old would have a large budget? I havn't seen one around. I was told by my boss to find him the best computer specs that money can buy. Yes I have told him that in a few years / months it would be out of date. He doesn't care. Thats why I asked you guys the question, what is the best computer / hardware available at this present time. This post might clear up some questions and haters :) from the first post I made.

Yeah my first post was crap. But what 14 - 17 year old would have a large budget? I havn't seen one around. I was told by my boss to find him the best computer specs that money can buy. Yes I have told him that in a few years / months it would be out of date. He doesn't care. Thats why I asked you guys the question, what is the best computer / hardware available at this present time. This post might clear up some questions and haters :) from the first post I made.

Yea alright, sorry mate. Talked to way to many kids who talk shit saying they own the latest/biggest, or are buying them, just to try and make there e-penis look bigger. But all good on your behalf.

But as Vako said, MacPro or Dell. Just find the most expensive and your done.

Yea alright, sorry mate. Talked to way to many kids who talk shit saying they own the latest/biggest, or are buying them, just to try and make there e-penis look bigger. But all good on your behalf.

But as Vako said, MacPro or Dell. Just find the most expensive and your done.

Yeah I know what you mean. Although alot of times I am one of those kids. If I get a high end video card I am so excited and bragging about it just to rub it in everyones faces. I think its more or something like "Hey I own that and its something that I would have never seen myself owning! ". So I understand.