Google Chrome OS

RedShirt

The cloud... all fine and dandy until the council digs up the road in front of your house and helpfully removes all the cables clogging up the ground...

It could be nice for some people, but I'm certainly not the target audience here.

The cloud... all fine and dandy until the council digs up the road in front of your house and helpfully removes all the cables clogging up the ground...

It could be nice for some people, but I'm certainly not the target audience here.

Agreed. Take me, O2 are currently doing work on my exchange, so my internet is up and down all the time at the moment. I currently have a lot of school work that I require my computer for. Recipe for Disaster.

I like having my files and programs on my computer so I have full control, and can access them whenever and where ever I want.

Your are right about the cloud being available though they do state that your data is cached local and synced up to the cloud when connected. But Google also states that their focus is netbooks, at least for now. It is designed to boot and connect to the internet fast. The demo showed them power on a laptop and get to a login screen in 7 seconds. Now I am sure that is to change by the time it reachs final release it is a nice focus for a netbook rather than XP.

I could never see this being my main OS but if some one just uses the computer to access the internet (like my wife) this would be a great option. Also, if I ever do drop some money on a netbook I could see myself using this if it does all that I need. I just started to download the source code a little bit ago so hopefully I can build a VM simple enough and see how it feels.

I think they are missing the boat somewhat, it's pretty much the case that netbooks now have more power than standard laptops from a few years back and are capable of running a full blown OS without any issue. The next generation of Atom CPU's will only make them more powerful.

My phone has more processing power, memory and storage than most of the computers I've owned before the last few main desktops. My netbook is a first generation eeepc with a 900MHz Celeron, 4GB SSD and half a GB, even that can run a full desktop OS without a problem.

I'll keep all my stuff locally, thanks, because when my ISP takes a dump, or I'm out and about with no wifi and the 3G network is down, or when the company goes bankrupt and loses all my data, or when the servers get compromised and everything goes to hell, I still have all my own data, apps and facilities right here with me.

Perhaps having it as the little OS that the mobo has that boots before the main OS, in case you just want to quickly check mail or some such is fine. But as the primary OS, I think it is not a good idea personally.

It won't succeed out side of the US (If it even does in the US), They are relying on services like Hulu, Lala and Pandora, none of witch work out side of the US. Also, 3G is expensive in most places in the world, and not having a internet connection will make it useless.

My main concern is security. No, not like hacking. I am talking about personal security. All your stuff would be on the cloud. 24/7. Anyone's account would just be a goldmine, all in at least one place to find.

heh.. found this:

Worth a laugh at least.

I compiled it and boot it on my eeepc. It's okay I guess. Not a lot of usability at the moment, since they don't have their end set up yet. Basically I can boot into the browser, that's about it. I don't see it being any less, or more, secure than having an android based cell phone.