Pathetic Attempt

Wetwork

It appears that we have some spammers and phishers on our beloved hack5 forums who are sending out PM's

got this little peice of creativity this morning from maceylove12

Hello

My name is Mercy i saw your profile today at hak5 and becameintrested in you,i will also like to know you the more, and i want you to send anemail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address (mercymabou@yahoo.com) I believe we can move from here!

I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Mercy (Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alotin life.(mercymabou@yahoo.com).

if this was a social engineer attack its one of the worst that i have ever seen. Has anyone else gotten on from this "member" and is it possible for the mods to ban this individual?

We're working on getting a new version of the forum software installed, which should combat the issues with spam signups / topics and pm's

But in the meantime, please report all these occurrences to the admin team.

I hope this doesn't include banning members who use free email services, like hotmail or gmail, as their primary email address. As ridiculous as this sounds, I have seen this being implimented on other forums.

But I have faith in hak5 to make the right choice. :)

I hope this doesn't include banning members who use free email services, like hotmail or gmail, as their primary email address. As ridiculous as this sounds, I have seen this being implimented on other forums.

But I have faith in hak5 to make the right choice. :)

Not on my watch it won't, this does nothing for anti-spam and largely just annoys the 90% of people who use free email. What we are likely to see is, I hope, word blacklisting, better sign-up protection, limiting of links in your initial posts and so forth. I still maintain that a vigilant set of human moderators is the best way to combat spam, relying on automation produces far to many false positives. As it stands, most spam on these forums is removed and the user banned very quickly, often less than an hour after it was posted. In fact, given this, I think this is why we are seeing a rise in spam user accounts and spam PM's.

Iv'e just done the same with this as I do with all other spam bots. Gave it the email address of my "Spam P***er offer" :-)

SOme time ago i set an email address up on my domain, called "spamoff@........" which goes to an eliza style AI chat/bot system, that basicly just argues with the senders, when replying it also ignores the sent from address, unless it can't find a server paper trail in the headers.

This is not often since most Email servers publish "sent from... recived by... blah blah in thier headers..."

Anyway it's great fun watching the logs sometimes, some of them really do believe that they are arguing with a human being :-)

Iv'e just done the same with this as I do with all other spam bots. Gave it the email address of my "Spam P***er offer" :-)

SOme time ago i set an email address up on my domain, called "spamoff@........" which goes to an eliza style AI chat/bot system, that basicly just argues with the senders, when replying it also ignores the sent from address, unless it can't find a server paper trail in the headers.

This is not often since most Email servers publish "sent from... recived by... blah blah in thier headers..."

Anyway it's great fun watching the logs sometimes, some of them really do believe that they are arguing with a human being :-)

Mate, that is awesome. Please put together a post about that in its own right, I really want to set something like that up myself.

Oh hell yes, guide for this please!

YAY guides .....We like guides and if i find the F*cker who sent this, i will mail bomb the living hell out of him and root kit his/her system back to the stone age

Does posting here for the world to see equal reporting it to the admins for action? or do i need to send a PM to Matt, Darren or VaKo? I do believe that all the relevant information has been posted or at least all the info that i have regarding this unwanted and annoying pm that i get with regular consistency?

Not on my watch it won't, this does nothing for anti-spam and largely just annoys the 90% of people who use free email. What we are likely to see is, I hope, word blacklisting, better sign-up protection, limiting of links in your initial posts and so forth. I still maintain that a vigilant set of human moderators is the best way to combat spam, relying on automation produces far to many false positives. As it stands, most spam on these forums is removed and the user banned very quickly, often less than an hour after it was posted. In fact, given this, I think this is why we are seeing a rise in spam user accounts and spam PM's.

I knew hak5 wouldn't do that. I just worried a little.

+1 for the guides man!

I said tits or gtfo!

And LOL!

So i take it that this issue has been reported then? considering that each one of you has seen this posting

No, you never submitted the notified copy of form 38-c we requested along with the required witness statements and supporting evidence, we only got your self-signed copy of form 90a which serves as a notice to submit your request for consideration at the annual meeting.

No, you never submitted the notified copy of form 38-c we requested along with the required witness statements and supporting evidence, we only got your self-signed copy of form 90a which serves as a notice to submit your request for consideration at the annual meeting.

Don't forget the faxed copy of form R-9198F (revision B ) along side everything else..

And oh yeah, don't forget to brush your teeth B)