Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

I got a PM asking how I added the Ubuntu Live CD to GRUB, so I thought I should post that here for anyone else who wants to do it. It's not a persistent installation.

First thing is to copy over casper, .disk, dists, install, pool and preseed to the root of your USB drive. I then followed this guide to add USB Boot support to initrd.gz, I'm not sure if it's required, but it didn't hurt. That guide's commands for recreating initrd.gz from the modified files didn't work, so I used

find . | cpio --create --format='newc' > ~/initrd

to create the initrd file, then gzipped it and replaced the one in casper under the root of the USB. Then I just threw this into menu.lst:

title Ubuntu 9.04 x86
root (hd0,0)
kernel  /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet splash
initrd  /casper/initrd.gz

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant get ubuntu up and running..? also BartPE is giving me some trouble...

can anyone help?

here is my menu.lst

splashimage /splashscreen.xpm.gz
timeout 120

title BackTrack 4 BETA
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz
boot

title Bart's PE (Win XP) (BSOD?)
map (hd0,0)/bartpe.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title DBAN
map --mem /dban.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Freedos
map (hd0,0)/freedos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Kon-Boot
map --mem /konboot.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Ubuntu 9.10 (Werkt niet)
root (hd0,0)
kernel  /ubuntu910/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw 
quiet splash
initrd  /ubuntu910/casper/initrd.gz

title Windows XP Home (32b)
map (hd0,0)/winxphome.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Windows Vista (64b)
map (hd0,0)/winvista.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Windows 7 (32b)
map (hd0,0)/win732.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Windows 7 (64b)
map (hd0,0)/win764.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title 
kernel
initrd

title Reboot
reboot

i cant get ubuntu up and running..? also BartPE is giving me some trouble...

can anyone help?

here is my menu.lst

title Ubuntu 9.10 (Werkt niet)
root (hd0,0)
kernel  /ubuntu910/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw
quiet splash
initrd  /ubuntu910/casper/initrd.gz

Please read the full thread, you cant have the casper folder in a subfolder, it wont work. It's expected in the root of the drive.

I'm looking through the initrd script for clues, and looking for a kernel switch that would allow for a redirection of the casper folder, but I dont think it exists.

Please read the full thread, you cant have the casper folder in a subfolder, it wont work. It's expected in the root of the drive.

I'm looking through the initrd script for clues, and looking for a kernel switch that would allow for a redirection of the casper folder, but I dont think it exists.

yeah, you're right it works now...

here is the code for people who have trouble... Just extract the iso in the root of your USB key.. insert the code below in your menu.lst and delete the autorun file, now it should work...

Tested with both 8.10 and 9.10 on a fat16 and fat32 usb drive. (both work)

title Ubuntu 9.10
root (hd0,0)
kernel  /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet 
splash
initrd  /casper/initrd.gz

Has anyone managed to to run any of the Linux based antivirus LiveCD's (apart from Trinity) when they're not copied directly at the root, but in a folder which resides on the root.

I only want menu.lst and grldr files on the root of the drive. I've tried pretty much all listed here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/1...st-rescue-disk/ and each has their own issues.

Or you can do this whitout extracting the ubuntu iso. Just place the iso on the usb

title Ubuntu LiveCD
find --set-root /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

works perfect for me :)

Here's my grub entry for dsl:

# ---   DSL Damn Small Linux   ---
title Damn Small Linux
kernel /dsl/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=789 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=dsl
initrd /dsl/minirt24.gz
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

The USB drive has a folder called DSL which contains just two files linux24 and minirt24.gz which were taken from the iso.

Hmmm, I must have just typed somthing in wrong because that was exactly what I had apart from the folder name, but it works now. :)

Thanks a lot!

I'm still having some trouble with the Ophcrack live cd..

Have tried various alterations, and lastly this one

title OPHcrack

kernel /bootOPH/vmlinuz rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin

initrd /bootOPH/initrd.gz

(boot folder on the root of usb = boot OPH)

however am not having much luck :(

An pointers from those who have it up and running ?

edit

-----

Have copied the files from an 8Gig SD card on which I had the live usb & XP special tables..

Anyone got Trinity Rescue Kit working? I can't chainload ISOLINUX and can't get Syslinux working, but I converted the isolinux.cfg to a grub format, and threw it in /boot/boot.trk as grubsubmenu.lst:

splashimage /boot/Hak5.xpm.gz
color white light-grey
timeout 120
default 1

title Return to Main Menu
configfile /menu.lst

title Run Trinity Rescue Kit 3.3 (default)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1
initrd /boot/boot.trk/initrd.trk

title Run TRK 3.3 as bootserver to boot other TRK clients
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkbootnet

title Run TRK 3.3 from RAM (best >= 512mb, 256mb min)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkinmem

title Run TRK 3.3 with bigger screenfont
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 normalfont

title Run TRK 3.3 in simple VGA mode (debugging of kernel output)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=1 pci=conf1 splash=off

title Run TRK 3.3 with Belgian keyboard (see docs for other)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 keyb_be

title Run TRK 3.3 - Virusscan all drives (non interactive)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 virusscan

title Run TRK 3.3 - Try more pcmcia and usb nics (when not detected)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 pcmcia

title Run  TRK 3.3 - Try more SCSI drivers (when disks not detected)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 scsidrv

title Run TRK 3.3 with a secure shell server enabled
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd

title Run TRK 3.3 - Execute local scripts on harddrive of PC
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 locscr

title Run TRK 3.3 - ^Fileshare all drives, secured with user
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 smbsec

title Run TRK 3.3 - Fileshare all drives as guest, no security
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 smbguest

title Run TRK 3.3 - Single user mode
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 runlevel 1

title Run TRK 3.3 - Acpi=off, noapic  PCI=bios (Alternate boot 1)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic pci=bios

title Run TRK 3.3 - Acpi=off, noapic PCI=any (Alternate boot 2)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic

title Run TRK 3.3 - PCI=conf2 (Alternate boot 3)
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf2

title Run TRK 3.3 - Verbose startup for debugging after initial bootphase
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 debugging

title Run TRK 3.3 - SSH server and run from RAM
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd trkinmem

title Run TRK 3.3 - SSH server, run from RAM, act as a secure fileserver
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd trkinmem smbsec

title Run TRK 3.3 with proxyserver support enabled
kernel /boot/boot.trk/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 proxy

title Run Memory tester: Memtest86+ v1.65
kernel /boot/boot.trk/memtest.x86

but Trinity cannot find the /trk3 folder, and crashes because it cannot read the superblock and attempts to access beyond the end of the device (my USB). Do I need to reformat it?

I am having a problem with kon-boot. I have the entry in the menu.lst as:

title Kon-Boot-test

map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

It boots up fine but it reaches a point where it says "Dummy BIOS detected, trying to fix SMAP entries." and then it basically hangs there. Anyone here have that problem or even better the solution for it. Thanks for your help guys.

I have tried it on three different machines. One was running Vista Ultimate on a Striker Extreme mobo, can't remember what BIOS that's running. The other was the EEE PC and the last was an older machine I have running XP Pro SP2.

I've added some more today,

Puppy Linux

SliTaz

ntpasswd

F-Secure Rescue CD

Kapersky Rescue CD

Ubuntu 9.04 (iso mount method shown above)

XBMC Live CD

xPUD

AIDA

Ranish Partition Manager

MHDD

I think it's time I took a backup of this drive now!