Radar Laser Detector Twitter GPS System

brian_dnfr

Yeah just got a ticket on my FJR 1300 ( motorcycle). The thing just can't help itself, it's always trying to go faster and it got away from me. So ouch the pain of a speeding ticket haven't got one in years. I have been riding a 250 cc motorcycle for the last three years so speeding was not really a possibility. On an inline 4 1300 cc it's almost impossible not to speed :-( I'm selling it if any one wants it.

So long story short what if radar detectors tweeted to gps about locations of the radar guns.

Hmmm it's an evil plan so I know some has probably already done it.

I'm just wondering who and at what www?

PS dear Mr. Kitchen I can get you into a really fine 2003 Yamaha FJR for less than $140 a month. Without bags it tops out at 150 higher if you mod the fuel injection map. 100 MPH on it feels like about 40 on most bikes. Drop me a line. This ticket has cured me of my need for speed and 0- 60 in less than 3 second acceleration...

Yours Truly

Brian Donofrio

So long story short what if radar detectors tweeted to gps about locations of the radar guns.

So do you mean whenever you pass a radar gun it sends the coordinates to twitter? I'm a tad confuzzled here. There are radar detectors that have gps for the soul purpose of locating speed enforcement zones. But I personally think they are a waste because they have portable radar speed detectors that pop up everywhere.

Sounds like a good idea. Now if i'm not mistaken radar detectors are illegal in Virgina but where i live they arn't. So maybe get a old radar detector + usb gps dongle + laptop/netbook = Radar twittering machine. I haven't worked much on self twittering machine but i defiantly think its worth looking into.

Sounds like a good idea. Now if i'm not mistaken radar detectors are illegal in Virgina but where i live they arn't. So maybe get a old radar detector + usb gps dongle + laptop/netbook = Radar twittering machine. I haven't worked much on self twittering machine but i defiantly think its worth looking into.

I don't really see the usefulness of this, cops move. Here's a thought, drive the speed limit.

I don't really see the usefulness of this, cops move. Here's a thought, drive the speed limit.

The idea would be to have an updated location of the location of the radar guns.

I'm in a rural area ( light pop density ) not that many cops and they like certain spots.

The gear is not illegal here, so being able to analyze the hits and locations would be helpful to plan routes.

The thing is that with the financial downturn local and state municipalities are using the traffic citations to generate income. It's an issue that you probably won't feel until it bites you personally. My state has some very extreme penalties that are often enforced based on very arbitrary and capricious factors. Many local municipalities faced with shrinking federal and state funding will no doubt use the traffic citation as replacement revenue.

If you travel allot this can cost you dearly.

I am in no way promoting speeding. It's important the roadways are safe for everybody's families and children, speeding is a very dangerous behavior that should be enforced strongly and fairly.

So a GPS Radar laser detector that utilizes the latest social networking Tweeting etc would seem to be just a natural extension of the technology into an as yet untapped area.

So the next time your driving through Hazard county and Roscoe P Coletrain has a speedtrap where the limit goes from 65 to 30 based on a sign hidden sign behind a low hanging tree you have some legal way to help you adjust your speed. ( Sorry about the Dukes Of Hazard reference ) But money is tight and everybody needs to work hard to make a buck. Including the cops who want to keep there jobs.

If there is some kind of legal system in place please drop me WWW.

Even though you live in one state where detectors are illegal, if your into motorcycling you may decide to venture out into the twisty wild roads of another state or a whole bunch of states. It would be nice to avoid any unnecessary hassles from THE MAN :-)

Of course the first problem that needs to be solved is how to mount a GPS with some good shock absorption. I hit 2 bumps and my Garmin Nuvi 255 went skipping down the highway like a stone. It has marks on all four corners but still works. They make them strong but I need to dampen the vibration especially from large bumps.

At this point I have 2 thoughts

1. Mini shock absorbers from the Radio Control Truck industry.

2.My own version of stretch armstrong to cushion the gps in those deep bumps.

Hobby Shock

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shock-Absorber-1-10-Ni...6#ht_4500wt_971

Strech Armstrong

http://screenrant.com/universal-options-st...ase-robf-11479/

Material to use for stretchy mount Crayola's Model Magic

http://www.crayola.com/products/list.cfm?c...s=MODEL%20MAGIC

This guy has a good idea but a motorcycle needs more cushion for the rough stuff.

http://www.shouldbefree.net/2009/07/make-a...eling-clay-diy/

PS if your in Virginia your close to Deals Gap Ride the tail of the Dragon.

318 curves in 11 miles, is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

The idea would be to have an updated location of the location of the radar guns.

I'm in a rural area ( light pop density ) not that many cops and they like certain spots.

The gear is not illegal here, so being able to analyze the hits and locations would be helpful to plan routes.

The thing is that with the financial downturn local and state municipalities are using the traffic citations to generate income. It's an issue that you probably won't feel until it bites you personally. My state has some very extreme penalties that are often enforced based on very arbitrary and capricious factors. Many local municipalities faced with shrinking federal and state funding will no doubt use the traffic citation as replacement revenue.

If you travel allot this can cost you dearly.

I live in Ohio now, they don't call them the communist highways for nothing. I also have to travel for my company, we have offices in PA, MA, and WI. I drive to all of them. So far I've only ever had one speeding ticket(I'd knock on wood, but they don't make furniture out of that anymore) it was over four years ago, and it cost me $450. I still speed, but mainly just to keep up with traffic.

Oh, hey, it's kinda spendy, but this might work for you.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135...5000#featureTab

Since when has usefulness or legality ever been a determining factor in any project executed by a hacker? "Because it sounds so damn cool" is all the reason he needs! Why justify it beyond that?

Since when has usefulness or legality ever been a determining factor in any project executed by a hacker? "Because it sounds so damn cool" is all the reason he needs! Why justify it beyond that?

I guess that really depends on your definition of "hacker". I consider myself a hacker, and not the FOX/CNN news definition.

Ouch Darren and Snubs in a bike accident. Yikes that blows. Do you have any pics of you and Snubs on the Hawk? I hope you two don't give up ridding. You two probably make a great looking couple on the bike. Injuries and death unfortunately are so common on motorcycles. About 80% of my friends have a major hospitalization, but they all still ride. Though you can tell the people who have been down by the way they get on the bike. Alot of times I can see that lump in the throat. They also tend to gear up with a lot of extra armor chest protectors knee protectors full suit top to bottom with all the plates, heavy gauntlets, boots the works. They also tend to do this when it's 95 degrees so the often sweat allot.

I've been lucky but thats just it, luck. Eventually I know my day will come. Then thats a big part of the adrenaline rush. A motorcycle is like your own personal roller-coaster, but this ride doesn't have any rails, and you may just end up dead. So you do the best you can to mitigate the risk. The other drivers with their cell phones and gadgets safely tucked away in their air-baged reinforced fart boxes never feel the thrill a biker feels.

Sorry if my post in any way affected your path with the Night Hawk. More sorry if Snubs is turned off to the sport.

Common sense would dictate you stay away from motorcycles and live a long safe life. Thus continuing your excellent Hak5 work.

Then again the Dragon is soooooo close to you.

Be safe, best wishes hope to see you at the August meet up if my schedule allows.

Brian Donofrio

Auburn, NY 13021

• 2 years later...

Technology is getting there. Here are a few relevant developments. http://www.phantomalert.com/ Cool works with your current GPS or iPhone. http://www.uniden.com/scanners/homepatrol-1-simple-program-scanner/invt/homepatrol1g/ Unidens cool new scanner that has a GPS to tune into an area as you travel. Very cool. Soon the dream will be realized :-) Now it all just need to be put together with HUD in a motorcycle helmet and were ready to rock :-)

post-12883-0-13552600-1316833992_thumb.j

Check out Waze on Android. People who use it can post updates about locations for items such as speed traps and accidents. Waze is good as multiple people can confirm a submission, e.g. validation. It also has a gaming type of m.o. where you collect coins and achievements the more you use it, so that people are enticed to keep using it.

The twitter feed would only be helpful if people can contribute to it, but there is no validation system. What's to prevent some law enforcement troll from forking a bunch of instances of a script submitting bad GPS coordinates through tor to the feed and effectively obliterating the signal:noise ratio?

The idea is fine, just needs some controls. For now, Waze is the best way to go, of which I'm aware.

• 3 weeks later...

i honestly was think the same thing but with an iphone app lol this would be awesome; i got pulled over once for speeding 112mph in 65, but he let me off easy thank god $12 ticket gave me somthing that was stupid lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like the idea, however, I feel this is a "napster" style idea. Allow me to explain..

Such a product would be dependent on it's community. If it doesn't have enough people using it, then it's not very functional. If enough people use it, then it would work very well. If it got to that point then everyone is going to start using it which could cut into the earning of governments around the nation. Then it becomes outlawed. The user base disappears. You're back at square one.

I say go for it.. make sure you get venture capital money before it becomes illegal.

I think instead of twitter, just a normal site feed that every time the radar goes off, it just posts the coordinates to the site. Then have it store in a data base, and plot them on google maps. Having a map layout of spots would be more useful than a twitter feed, since you can then plan a road trip and see where the common hits are, and take roads to avoid said places on your motorcycle or car, or whatever. Setting up google maps isn't that hard either and I think could be a benefit not just for "on radar, post coordinates to site" but also so people can comment list good places to ride/drive or take road trips, while avoiding the speed traps.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I police cars are equiped with GPS just get the GPS signal and use it to pin point the police car. Even is the GPS signal is encypted its still a tell tail sign where they are then output that to a topo or google map, in some cases Scanners have a USB output and with some tweaking you can make a scanner do that work for you.. But because the police are public servants they shouldn't be able to mask GPS signals. (legal crap here) In anycase you can get thier GPS FQ easily.

Just an Idea

I police cars are equiped with GPS just get the GPS signal and use it to pin point the police car. Even is the GPS signal is encypted its still a tell tail sign where they are then output that to a topo or google map, in some cases Scanners have a USB output and with some tweaking you can make a scanner do that work for you.. But because the police are public servants they shouldn't be able to mask GPS signals. (legal crap here) In anycase you can get thier GPS FQ easily.

Just an Idea

GPS receivers don't send out any data as far as I know. They may have their cars "call home" with a CDMA/GSM network with the coords. And that isn't really an accurate way to track if they do transmit anything, because so many people have GPS on their phone, handheld GPS, in-car navigation, etc.

GPS receivers don't send out any data as far as I know. They may have their cars "call home" with a CDMA/GSM network with the coords. And that isn't really an accurate way to track if they do transmit anything, because so many people have GPS on their phone, handheld GPS, in-car navigation, etc.

I thought that GPS still makes the hand shake allowing a two way communication so it is possible to capture that as a reference.

True not all phones or everyone has a GPS but for those that have them which is a growing number in todays world.

I know that there was a program out there that would give GPS of all Ambulances and Fire trucks based on GPS for Emergencies and they were trying to get Police cars as well. I will look them up again and post here if I find it.

I thought that GPS still makes the hand shake allowing a two way communication so it is possible to capture that as a reference.

True not all phones or everyone has a GPS but for those that have them which is a growing number in todays world.

I know that there was a program out there that would give GPS of all Ambulances and Fire trucks based on GPS for Emergencies and they were trying to get Police cars as well. I will look them up again and post here if I find it.

No handshaking, Little devices don't have the power to shoot a signal to space. Also every cell phone has a GPS in it. For Location 911, unless you have an ancient cell phone from the early 90s or something.

http://airandspace.s...u/gps/work.html

http://airandspace.si.edu/gps/spheres.html

http://electronics.h.../travel/gps.htm

I would be interested to see this program that can map such a thing.

I still don't get the point of mapping this. Cop cars move. Just get a good radar detector and don't go more than 15% over the speed limit and you'll be fine. If your going 100 in a 55 you'll still get caught no matter how good your radar detector is. Go to the boonies and have your fun ;)

Haven't read through this thread in a while, so forget what most of it was about, but there was a court case, where a father and son, used their GPS Navigation system form their car to win a court case against a police officer who gave them a speeding ticket, when they had made a log of their trip, and data stored on the GPS, showed physically they never went over the speed limit...just throwing that tid bit out there. If you had a way to tweet or upload data of your speed and travel to a site that you track yourself from, could be used to help defend yourself too in a court of law. Not to mention, some people might want it for other applicable uses, although, thats up to how and why you want to do it. The Baja 5000 would be one cool implementation, to get stats on your fav racer and see where they are on a map in real time, and speed data could be sent back to the pit crew to work on tweaks to help keep your speed up to optimum needs, etc. Combine that with other data from the vehicles or offroad machines, sure someone would/could find a use for it beyond police cherry picking spots.