Darren's computer

ixgamerxi

Atheros is the best supported, but most work, just avoid broadcom.

I actually swapped out my atheros on my AAO with a broadcom based wifi card when I was testing Mac Osx (concluded it's rubbish and sticking with Linux)

Anyhow, I use the B43 driver perfectly well for aircrack and it's connection is stable.

I actually swapped out my atheros on my AAO with a broadcom based wifi card when I was testing Mac Osx (concluded it's rubbish and sticking with Linux)

Anyhow, I use the B43 driver perfectly well for aircrack and it's connection is stable.

My broadcom chip is the BCM4328, and unfortunately, doesn't support monitor mode yet or packet injection.

Hello I am new to this forum and new to the whole forum thing the last time I participated in forum type messaging was with my 300/2400 baud modem chatting on BBS's. The internet is so great and offers so many new things but there was something so fun about those times the hours I spent on ANSi art and customizing renegade or PCBoard so it looked so leet... We should get all the guys from that timeframe back together all the guys from iCE, ACiD and all the old school hacking groups... Sorry off topic... So I am a little ignorant regarding current forum edicate so please inform me if anything I a m doing is offensive or annoying so that I may change it. I have posted to this topic as it is related however not really but I figured it would be better to post here vs starting a new topic if I am wrong please let me know...

Anyhow back to my reason for responding to this topic... I have a Acer Aspire One as well and noticed that the BT4 sets the screen at 1024x600 or something similar thus most applications do not fit on the screen and the only way that I could figure out to combat this was to use smaller fonts and icons, ect... This makes it hard to read and i was wondering if Darren or anyone else has figured out a way to exceed the resolution or if they have any other fix that makes using this device with backtrack less painful in this regard....?

Also the basic Linux OS that came with my aa1 had a great driver that allowed you to use the trackpad by tapping as click vs using those annoyingly placed buttons witch the backtrack4 distro installs automatically however the BT3 does not so I am just wondering is there some way I can just take the drivers from the factory original disc and add them to the BT3 distro without having to copy over the kernel?

One last thing love the show guys keep up the great work!

Does anyone know what the battery life is like on it? Ive been thinking of getting one, but I've heard bad things about the battery life!

Hi Binky,

New to this forum so bear with me, but regarding Battery Life I have this.

The official figures state "Up to 3 Hours" with the standard 3 cell battery and "Up to 7 hours" on the 6 cell.

I'm in the UK where I believe they are all shipped with the 3 cell and I get around 2 to 2.5 hours out of it for standard use (surfing he net etc...)

I love mine and currently have it running (thanks to some help from a good friend) OSX 10.5, Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows 7 which all run surprisingly well on it (For a little fella). The only issue I have is with the Atheros wifi card in OSX which is not supported. I did buy and install a broadcom which should work with all three OSs but found out it was faulty after installing it twice :)

Hope this helps your decision anyway.

Ovbiously it is since he uses BT4 on it just about every other episode...

How does that make any sense? Anyone can use bt4 on any computer.

*/me shakes his head in disgust.

i like using ralink based wifi cards for wep cracking but thats cause im using usb dogles.

<3 my new ASUS eeePC 900 netbook

I've never had airmon spawn another interface when i put the card into monitor mode before. Then again, i too, was using USB dongles to get the job done. I can do without backtrak tho, just a simple debian install and throwing the packages i need onto it. ;)

Not every other episode. And for a while there I was using BT3.

But yes the AAO sports an Atheros wifi chip. The same one you'll find in the eee 701.

Do we know if all AAO come with the Atheros wifi chipset? I'm looking into getting one and don't want to buy one if it doens't come with an atheros chipset.

Do we know if all AAO come with the Atheros wifi chipset? I'm looking into getting one and don't want to buy one if it doens't come with an atheros chipset.

Hi Chalito,

I'm pretty sure they all come with the Atheros Wifi chipset. Even the new 10 inch AOD150 and AOD250 seem to have the same chip.

We cracked open one of the new Acer REVO PC's this week and that also had exactly the same wifi card inside.

I think Acer must have bought a job lot :)

Hi Chalito,

I'm pretty sure they all come with the Atheros Wifi chipset. Even the new 10 inch AOD150 and AOD250 seem to have the same chip.

We cracked open one of the new Acer REVO PC's this week and that also had exactly the same wifi card inside.

I think Acer must have bought a job lot :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to place my order now :)