Cyclones (hurricanes) suck!

psydT0ne

We have a cyclone (or a hurricane as you yanks call it) coming our way on the east coat of Australia.

Here's the tracking map :

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Im in Mackay and this thing will be close.

By tomorrow it wil be a Category five....Katrina was a VERY huge category four (respect!)...although I'm not sure whether there is any difference between the Australian or Yank systems of rating these things.

Cyclone Category System

CATEGORY 1

Negligible house damage. Damage to some crops, trees and caravans. Craft may drag moorings.

A Category 1 cyclone's stongest winds are GALES with gusts to 125 km/h.

These winds correspond to Beaufort 8 and 9 (Gales and strong gales).

CATEGORY 2

Minor house damage. Significant damage to signs, trees and caravans. Heavy damage to some crops. Risk of power failure. Small craft may break moorings.

A Category 2 cyclone's strongest winds are DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 125 -170 km/h.

These winds correspond to Beaufort 10 and 11 (Storm and violent storm).

CATEGORY 3

Some roof and structural damage. Some caravans destroyed. Power failures likely.

A Category 3 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 170 - 225 km/h.

These winds correspond to the highest category on the Beaufort scale, Beaufort 12 (Hurricane).

CATEGORY 4

Significant roofing loss and structural damage. Many caravans destroyed and blown away. Dangerous airborne debris. Widespread power failures.

A Category 4 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 225 - 280 km/h.

These winds correspond to the highest category on the Beaufort scale, Beaufort 12 (Hurricane).

CATEGORY 5

Extremely dangerous with widespread destruction.

A Category 5 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of more than 280 km/h.

Safe to say tho we more than a little concerned...

Fuck me, IN SHORT DUKE A SHIT STORM!

I swear to god what is up with Aussie weather these days, Melbourne is in drought with massive bush fires and the hot top end is flooded out. Not to mention us melb folk copped a 4.5 earth quake the other night, which freaked me the fuck out.

Damn dude hopefully it doesn't head your way, you gonna stick a round or GTFO?

Yeah as someone who has lived in Louisiana all his live Yeah hurricanes suck. The Saffir-Simpson rating system used is based on sustained wind speed not the overall energy of the storm. This can be missleading. There has even been much talk in the us to create a new rating system for hurricanes. Washington post

Wow looking at the forecast that is one SLOW moving Cyclone. it looks like you will have a full 20 hours of so of Very bad weather.

Anyway stay safe.

I've just checked the latest warning it's now a Cat 5, winds up to 295km/hr in the centre.

we have some time to gtfo...if so we're heading west.

Funny thing everyone is so calm...possibly complacent even...

Hopefully when it hits the whitsundays it MAY take some of the puff out of it...

apart from that i just don't know what's gonna happen.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that as far as rating this sort of thing it doesn't go any higher once it his a cat 5.

Mate if I were you I would have my shit packed and be ready to do a runner nice and early. You just can't win against that shit and the only way you wanna witness it is on the 6 o'clock news.

As a birthed resident of gulf coast mississippi (gulfport to be exact) and now living in pass christian I too know how fucked up it can be... I never stayed through a hurricane, dont want to.

hats to you soundguymike, cause I see how it is, and know how it was.

Do yourself a favor and GTFO Mnemonic, if it's anything like it can be here, you dont wanna be there. There have been so many killed by hurricanes cause they don't leave..

God bless you Mnemonic, get the fuck out now! (and take all you can with you)

and remember, the slower the hurricane, the more the dammage.

3 feet of snow doesnt do this (not doing this to 1up you, doing this to help motivate Mnemonic to get the fuck out)

dsc01021.jpg

A door that got sucked out from the pressure of the hurricane @ inlaws house about 12 mi. away from the beach.

dsc01036b.jpg

A happy message back to hurricane katrina (also, I think this is a local judge's house!)

dsc01045.jpg

This is the water line on the interstate on-ramp about 7 mi. away from the beach

dsc01049olu.jpg

pretty close to the beach

dsc01053x.jpg

A whole walk in cooler that got mostly sucked out by the hurricane

dsc01075i.jpg

2 blocks away from the beach

dsc01077f.jpg

2 blocks away from the beach

dsc01103y.jpg

The beach......

pic0312061.jpg

what was part of the bay st. louis bridge going onto it. where I was standing used to be some of the dirt that was supporting part of the bridge...

pix0r.jpg

Thanks everyone for your support and good wishes.

We have been monitoring the cyclone very closely over the last 24hrs...thank God the warning at this stage has been cancelled...the cyclone is sloowly moving south, tracking along the queensland coast heading towards the folks in Hervey Bay and Bundaberg, which is where bundy rum comes from)..

It looks like this one will move on and not bother us...this time...

Once again...thankyou for your posts...it's great to be part of such a community...we may flame each other and hang shit but when the chips are down...we're all human.,.thanks

Glad everything turned out well.

Hexskrew great pictures as far as what the wind can do, But this is what the water does. This is a picture of a rural town of Delcambre (pronounced Dell-come). This is Delcambre High School's football field. Delcambre is 200 miles east of where Ike hit and 30 miles inland As well as above sea level. As you can see everything was covered by a foot of muddy brackish water. This might not seem that bad but a foot of dirty brackish water will kill all farmland and severely affect any freshwater fisheries. As well as meaning the gutting of the house at least to the level of the water. And this was 200 miles away.ike14.jpg

Holy crap.

I hope you guys all are safe.

Thank you snubs. I was fine, my bedroom window was busted and I lost a cordless phone (that was underneath the window that busted) but other than that everything @ my house was ok, sound guymike i'm sure came out at least fair. My q. is how is Mnemonic doing?

hey there...well we're all still here thank God.

the cyclone is weakening and hopefully will double back on itself and turn in a rain depression.

when a cyclone hits cat5 in queensland...and when it starts to come down the coast..we get real worried...

but at the moment all ok..

thanks again for everyone thinking of us..