What was the best freebie you ever got for fixing or saying a computer is trash?

h3%5kr3w

i don't even do tech support much anymore. i help close friends and family out, but tech support is really counter productive to my time, espeically when i could be learning more about PHP, Java or something related to my actual career field.

i heard that (counter productiveness) but it gives me some pocketmoney/booze, so I still do it.

btw, the driving the mazarati = WIN!

oh an unn0129, if your friend was like mine, who was too cheap to buy a new computer in the first place even though I had to fix the damn thing every other night cause it was so jank, then your not a douche, you get mad props for that, but if you were just doing it to be a douche, then.... yah, u iz uh douche.

and nophix, PIX OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! j/k but i wanna see this.

and nophix, PIX OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! j/k but i wanna see this.

Ask and yee shall receive. Forgive the mess. We just moved recently and I'm still getting things together. I still have to drop in the IBM, and run the wiring for the server rack's new location.

100_2491.jpg

100_2492.jpg

100_2493.jpg

100_2494.jpg

100_2495.jpg

5 Cisco 2900 24 ports, and I have 2 260 series routers not et installed. I also have a standard-case server upstairs on my desk being assembled for firewall duties.

The servers are playing a few duties. I have one for a file server for data storage, another is dedicated to being a media server for the home theater, and the last one is a play toy. It runs whatever I throw at it to test. I also have a VPN client running on one, and an Altiris Rapideploy for images. MAeks refreshing the systems in the house MUCH easier.

lol, we use altiris at the full time job I work at. Interesting you'd deploy images with it. I have a DL380 G1 as well, and man they have poor IO :-p. I have a Nasbox with 2TB, with 4 more 1 TB drives in queue to go in (adding to the ZFS storage pool). Here are the details for that: http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~adam/NasBox/

Anyway, I deploy and backup images using a PXE boot of clonezilla on my network. I use IPCop for most my routing needs, with OpenVPN. My "Blue" wireless subnet is a switch with two different computers in Master mode located in two different areas in my house in two distinct frequencies.

We also use Altiris at work, which is why I chose it. I am familiar with how it works.

Each of the G1's is running dual 1ghz's and 3gb RAM. drives are mainly 18.2 with a few being larger. The 580 on the bottom has a couple 30 something gb drives, can't remember.

The IBM is loaded with pretty good size drives. I counted it all up one day and with all of them running, I have a few TB worth of capacity.

But hey, since I have all of $0 in the servers and rack, I can't complain at all. The Cisco gear I bought elsewhere from a data center that closed. It was auction-lot gear. But, even given that, I have near nothing in the entire setup, and it runs sweet when I have it all set up.

• 1 month later...

My friends dad who is computer retarded once dropped a new tower on the ground and knocked the CPU fan loose. As a result of this it would turn off before windows could boot and he thought it was fried because he could hear it rattling around in the box...

He told my friend to get rid of it and i got a new tower for free ( it cost him $900) and all i had to do was put the fan back in place

i used to work for a place called compucycle basicaly refurbing pcs to send to charity's all over the world but mainly third world countrys

i had allsorts from there from 22" crt monitors projectors whole pc's ......

Actually the real reason why Intel (and AMD) went back to the reg. chip design/slot is because they found that the board design w/L2 cache on the board as opposed to on die was actually alot slower than they thought it would be (the reason why they went with the slot design is because they thought it would be faster AND cheaper to manufacture.)

Also the other reason why they went back to zif designs is because slot A processors were error prone, and suffered from chip creep and things of that nature (I have had a head/wall bout with these before..)

Well, I was half right about the heat because thats what causes chip creep. That was also the problem with the early dipp chips used for the 8088 and old school memory.

Hey anyone remember the Old ATI RAGE cards you could install more memory on via dipp chips?

I HAD ONE!! cant remember the model but it was in a Packard Bell, and it was 2mb ram upgradable to 4... never got to upgrade it though.