Making phone calls from computer

ssmithisme

I dont like that skype started charging for regular phone calls, and I really think it would be cool to get my house using the phone from the computer.

So we can make phone calls out from our home phone number and receive calls on the computer.

I would preffer something free/open source.

Something like Asterisk?????

Im lost on this so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I dont like that skype started charging for regular phone calls, and I really think it would be cool to get my house using the phone from the computer.

So we can make phone calls out from our home phone number and receive calls on the computer.

I would preffer something free/open source.

Something like Asterisk?????

Im lost on this so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Skype is free, the service they provide isn't. I'm not aware form any free SIP providers (Asterisk is free, the SIP provider isn't).

Whats the catch with iCall, is it one where your call starts with/is interupted by adverts?

http://www.icall.com/plans/icall-vs-skype/

I think its only free in the us though. US calls to the US. Anything outside the US has a rate fee.

with my computer i got 10 years again when it had windows 98 it had this program called Mega Phone on it that made the computer act just like a phone and answering machine. It was the coolest thing but I did look up that program name some time again there is a version out there for XP that I am aware of. Its a really fun program to have with a lot of features but when our answering machine died on us the computer took over for 2-3 days and worked like a charm.

• 1 month later...

I used to have skype, and vonage, but the best deal that I have ever seen which is what I use now is magic jack, it is available at Radio Shack, you can just walk in and buy it there, it is $40 and that comes with the first year of service, and it is $20 a year after the first year

It is by far the best deal

You'll need to go old-school for this. Pick up an old voice/fax modem (just like the 56k ones most people have lying around), use some software or other (Asterisk, or one of those old Win9x phone apps) to use it as a phone.

What is with people not wanting to pay for a service they wish to use?

The infrastructure isn't free, if your going to use it, pay for it!

I have no problem at all with you wanting to pay sprint, at&t, ect for their service packages and long distance, but I would rather use the internet phone services that can also hook up to the regular phones

i pay 50$ connection fee per quarter, then 12c local calls, 30c long distance, and that's with a major line carrier in Australia, don't really see why people need to cheap out on there calls, unless its for over seas, which then you just buy phone cards for.