Fun Free FPS

786soul

has anyone ever played a good FPS game on linux besides useing a virtual windows machine or wine to play it on? lol

linux = not good for gaming

there are plenty of linux games lol. warsow has a linux version

With a good box, and the latest release of Wine, you can install Steam most of the games flawlessly. (You don't even have to install the font anymore.) The performance was the same in both Windows in Linux, though I must admit, it did look a little more grainy in Linux. The main games I played were CS:S and DOD:S, so I'd imagine Portal and HL2 would work.

I have played Nexuiz, but I have only installed it on Laptops, it seems to have screen 'flickering' issues.

has anyone ever played a good FPS game on linux besides useing a virtual windows machine or wine to play it on? lol

linux = not good for gaming

Warsow is actually pretty decent in Linux. In fact, I can run it off a live disc with no problems, so installed would be much smoother, and its not running in wine to do it.

there are plenty of linux native and cross platform games that dont need wine. its the commercial games that get ya lol. linux for the most part is a great money saver since its largely free supported. saddly that cuts games like fear and command & conquer from ever seeing its shiny core

id love to see "sudo apt-get install comandcon" get me command and conquer. ive got tiberian(misspell) sun here. and its a legal copy. just dont have the original case so i dont have a serial. which makes it difficult to play seeing as i cant lol. searching for a serial gen didnt work either

Honestly i use my xbox 360 for most of my gaming.. unless its a game like world of warcraft or PC only game.

I have not tried the games mentioned above, ive been too busy playing saints row 2, civ revolution, and halo 3 :-)

I played WoW for about 2 weeks and got bored, i will probuly play again in a couple months for another couple weeks, and so on..

Gears of war 2 looks promising, havent got to try it out yet though. Along with Huxley MMOFPS game should be nice. I help with a site directed towards xbox 360 gaming if anyone is interested their is alot of hacks and cheats and reviews and such.. its www.live-xbox360.com , i would love to get an old PC box, build a case and make a mame arcade machine , which would be awesome, yes im a gamer i started with duck hunt and super mario

there are plenty of linux native and cross platform games that dont need wine. its the commercial games that get ya lol. linux for the most part is a great money saver since its largely free supported. saddly that cuts games like fear and command & conquer from ever seeing its shiny core

id love to see "sudo apt-get install comandcon" get me command and conquer. ive got tiberian(misspell) sun here. and its a legal copy. just dont have the original case so i dont have a serial. which makes it difficult to play seeing as i cant lol. searching for a serial gen didnt work either

do u want me to send u my key?

• 3 weeks later...

igf.com ---> student entries ---> It's a game called Glitch. Super weird and fun!

post_break: Cube on the iPhone, although as an idea, is freakin' awesome, in practice... mmmm not so much. It uses the accelerometer to control where you look, and it is much too sensitive, plus it is literally just Cube ported to understand iPhone input commands, so there is no way to change the accelerometer sensitivity inside the game.

Another free Multiplayer only FPS for Windows is Urban Terror. It is "like" Counter Strike and runs off the Quake 3 engine but does not need Q3 as a base. Q3 was OpenGL so it can run on Wine too.

One of my old time favs is also free, Starsiege Tribes. It is one of the most fun and balanced FPS I have ever played. You can fly and get vehicles (air) and do all sorts of things like attack or build up defence for your base or just go ouot and kill. It is D3D and OpenGL rendered as well. Tribes 2 is now free but Sierra only gives out a few CD-Keys every months. Tribes 1 requires no key.

Peolpe still play it and it should run on any junker smoothly (DX7 gen or older I believe).

Of course there are free demos for Unreal Tournaments, Quakes etc...

An Awesome free game that I used to play was 'True Combat Elite'. Its a total modification for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and it basically changes it into Counter Strike Source with scopes for everything. It plays in a completely different way to WolfET, and I really liked it, here's the URL:

http://www.tcelite.net/

• 2 weeks later...