Passwords and Thunderbird

W4RP3D

Hey,

My pc is the only descent one in the house therefore sometimes (rarly) my parents use it as well as my bro, because of this there is a lot of email accounts on Thunderbird, mine being one of them unfortuantly my brother can look at these and i dont want him reading some of my private emails.

Is there anyway to put passwords on a single email address in thunderbird so that no one can read my mail.

Thanks

P.s Ive tryed google.

I'm not a Thunderbird user so I don't know how it stores it's settings etc. But wouldn't having separate user accounts in windows be a better option? That way you can keep all of your private stuff separate from the rest of your family.

so theres no way i could put some sort of password on it, i no it sounds stupid but i dont want to make a new account on windows cuase i cant be assed to select which user and then type in the password every time the pc starts up.

It's not exacly user friendly, but you have to edit the profils.ini file in the thunderbird directory in your user profile. You can script this easily, make one file that loads the empty profile by default and another that loads your actual profile, and then you can use a script to switch between the two. You could even make the cript launch thunderbird and switch the profile back when thunderbird is closed.

So you don't want to be hassled with selecting a user account and entering the password when you log into the computer, but you DO want the hassle every time you check your mail? Where's the difference?

You could also install a second copy of Thunderbird on a Thumbdrive so that you can completely pull it from the system when you're not using it. I've had two copies installed at one time, before.

This is about kinda about emails ect. and i dont want to make another thread.

Ive been looking at gmail and it looks a lot better than hotmail, which i currently use. It looks like you nead to text them to get a code to sign up but there isnt an option for the UK :cry: :cry: It also says that you can get emailed by a current user an invertation.

So please please please can someone email me at w4r p3d_1@h otma il.co.uk (with out the spaces oviuosly) with an invertation if you have got one free please.

Thanks

Just sent you an invite :)

Hotmail sucks... it doesn't have any featurs (does it even have spam filtering?)

They outsourced the spam filter to china, so now its done by a room full of people who have to read every email by hand. Rumour has it that they ran out of printer paper last tuesday.

dude im assuming windows: user seperate windows user accounts dude. Dont let your family user your (prob with admin prevs) account. They will find your..erm stuff. Get them used to logging in with there own user accounts. Also set the accounts to restricted. Say your creating a 'special' place for them ..... because you love them dearly....or something

user account then hack your registry to auto-login for your name/password. sounds like you dont even have a password if you cant be bothered to login each time. you might want one of those.

If you do that, what's the point of having separate users?

People will come in and be given the choice to either get their stuff sorted, and possibly pick up some dirt on you by reading your personal messages, or going through the process of logging out (which might be annoying as you might be doing something they're not aware of) logging on as their own user, getting their stuff sorted and logging out again.

It's all separate accounts with passwords and no auto-logon, or nothing at all (which is what everything in between will soon equate to).