Hamster and Ferret

Tymac94

I just downloaded from windows vista to windows xp pro sp2 and it still says this at the bottom When ever I go c:/sidejacking>ferret -W it says what is below in the cmd.  I have winpcap installed. On the command prompt it says the following

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:UsersTyler>cd c:sidejacking

c:Sidejacking>ferret -W

-- FERRET 1.1.3 - 2007 © Errata Security

-- build = Aug  8 2007 22:37:48 (32-bits)

-- WinPcap version 4.0.2 (packet.dll version 4.0.0.1040), based on libpcap versi

on 0.9.5

timeout(1): unknown linktype = 0 (expected Ethernet or wifi)

c:Sidejacking>

Uninstall Vista, install XP.  hehe  :P

But honestly there is so much shit with vista its kinda hard to know what makes things crash.  Have you tried googling around to find if anyone else has had the same problem.  -It is compatible with vista right?

How can you get this to work on Vista.  When ever I go c:/sidejacking>ferret -W it starts to load up and it says ferretr.exe has stopped working.  I have winpcap installed.

Check with the guy who wrote Ferret. He would probably know more than we would, but I gather that windows is blocking something that you can probably turn off to get it running.

I'm using mine on XP SP3 (Beta before u ask) and it run's fine but doesnt make a Hamster.txt file so no go for me or even shows a list of network cards even tho i can select one that none appear in the list it would be great if it worked but o well sometimes the harder way is the better way to make things work.

If people like this they should check out wifizoo, I think it's a little nicer.

http://community.corest.com/~hochoa/wifizo...dex.html#whatis

So long as your on *nix. Im still using windows, so I have to use Cain + Ferret + Hamster combo for the time being.

I use cain and I would love to use hamster and ferret but it won't work (read my above post) and I hate it when some anti-virus programs think Cain is one but o well it happens they know if it wasent for us. They would be out of the job :D :lol: (first time posting form my iPod touch )

I use cain and I would love to use hamster and ferret but it won't work (read my above post) and I hate it when some anti-virus programs think Cain is one but o well it happens they know if it wasent for us. They would be out of the job :D :lol: (first time posting form my iPod touch )

have you tried it in XPSP2?

Ferret does not create a hamster.txt file until ferret sees cookie data in the captured packets. Hamster will just continue to scroll a message that there is not hamster.txt until ferret creates it, an dnot until it sees cookie traffic.

Running non-stable software on your main computer kind of speaks for it's self.

Well windows was built to carsh so i thourght if i run unstable software with an unstable OS it could combine and boom make a completely stable system  8) :lol: . But i think i know the fix for the first post :D if he reads mine it will work abit :lol: if he reads the next step in the readme file (always gd to have) then he can select the card even tho nothing appears in the list. (i'm a script kiddy and i love programs like this i hate typing to much data even tho i've software)

What version of Pcap do you have installed? The latest does not seem to work well on my XPSP2 machine when I upgraded Wireshark and was causing the pc to lock up, so I rolled back to 4.0Alpha 1 and all is well.

The version i have is 4.0.2 which i think is the latest one, my pc doesnt or laptop doesnt lock up (yet) (laptop running XP Sp2) maybe my cards anit supported like normal most things i buy r windows only for a few years lol

if your trying to do this over wireless on windows then it it's probably not going to work. Most windows drivers won't allow monitor mode or promiscuous mode. Similarly on Linux, under developed drivers (or shit wireless cards) won't go in to monitor mode, but most do. There are few cards that will allow promiscuous mode.

The version i have is 4.0.2 which i think is the latest one, my pc doesnt or laptop doesnt lock up (yet) (laptop running XP Sp2) maybe my cards anit supported like normal most things i buy r windows only for a few years lol

if your trying to do this over wireless on windows then it it's probably not going to work. Most windows drivers won't allow monitor mode or promiscuous mode. Similarly on Linux, under developed drivers (or shit wireless cards) won't go in to monitor mode, but most do. There are few cards that will allow promiscuous mode.

This is why I said you need Cain + Ferret + hamster. ;)

yea i do like using cain and abel its very useful when round a mates house  8-) . It's just a shame that ferret doesnt wanna play ball :( . I might have to see if i can find one as it is odd how i can give ferret a network card to listen to and it picks taffic (from itself to the router which is 50% working lol just not picking other pcs on the network) but never makes the hamster.txt file that hamster needs. i have heard WifiZoo but i cant get it to compile on backtrack 3 (it supports my wificard YAY!) i have tried Ubuntu (latest version) and it doesnt support it yet so i might need to move some drivers around. I'll carry on using Cain but will have keep an eye on Hamster and Ferret to see if an update will support my card(s).

• 4 weeks later...
I just downloaded from windows vista to windows xp pro sp2 and it still says this at the bottom When ever I go c:/sidejacking>ferret -W it says what is below in the cmd.  I have winpcap installed. On the command prompt it says the following

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:UsersTyler>cd c:sidejacking

c:Sidejacking>ferret -W

-- FERRET 1.1.3 - 2007 © Errata Security

-- build = Aug  8 2007 22:37:48 (32-bits)

-- WinPcap version 4.0.2 (packet.dll version 4.0.0.1040), based on libpcap versi

on 0.9.5

timeout(1): unknown linktype = 0 (expected Ethernet or wifi)

c:Sidejacking>

I am also coming up with the same error message.

Also running xp sp2.

You guys need to spcify the adapter first, then open hamster. You need to figure out the number in relation to your adapter as well. You can do this by running ferret -i X and you will get an error but you will see the listed available adapters and then run the command again picking the correct adapter number.

1: ferret -i X (where X is the adapter you want to capture on, use an X the first time to get an error, but it will list all you adapters in the process)

2: run HAMSTER (this will create the hamster.txt file, if it doesnt exist already)

3: open your browser and set a proxy for http to 127.0.0.1:3128

4: Navigate to http://HAMSTER

The easiest way to check if it works is have two browsers installed. One with the proxy set and the other to go to sites that require cookeis and you can log on, like hak5, etc. Now go to a website in the browser that does not have the proxy set. In the other one sitting at http://hamster, you will see the sites you visited and the cookie links you can click that will log you on directlywithout need for login and pass.

This was the easy part. If you cant get this far, then start reading about it with google. As for capturing other peoples traffic, you need to figure that part out on your own.