Best Marketing Gimmick of the Year.

jollyrancher82

The Apple MacBook Air wins best marketing gimmick of 2008.  Anyone silly enough to dump the money into one of these isn't a true geek.  Look at the specification carefully.  A true geek will understand why it's a waste of money, and just marketing tricks.  Feel free to give your input regarding the MacBook Air.

It's an expensive MacBook that's been put in a press.

It looks easy to break, you'll be able to heat a small town with the underside of the thing, the battery isn't replaceable, it's not small enough to justify the disadvantages it brings over the MacBook/MacBook Pros. It's seriously lacking in connectivity (c'mon, 1 USB and no ethernet?) and has no optical drive and wireless isn't great for everything - 11n or not, heavy file transfers will take an age and HD streaming isn't gonna happen. Can't store everything on the HDD/SSD either... 80GB HDD/64GB SSD? With no ethernet or optical drive? Oh yeah, and did I mention that HDD is only 4200rpm?

I don't care that it looks pretty and I certainly don't care that "it fits in an envelope" - it doesn't have a place in the lineup with the MacBooks and Pros that already exist.

Heh. 

This thing is utterly pointless,  I could understand it IF it cost MUCH less and had similar specs to the eee, it'd make a good lug around but in general I'm stumped, the only people who will buy this is die hard mac fans and people with more money than sense.

No optical drive, one usb port, no ethernet, non user replaceable battery (all pointed out) who the hell wants to deal with that day in day out? Typically when I carry a laptop with my I have a lot of other shit, be it clothes (traveling) books (college) etc what difference is an extra couple of lbs going to make? And being a bit thinner? What the fuck do I care about that, It'd be more inconvenient for me since I'd be reluctant to just stick it in my bag inside a sleeve which I would normally do with my laptop.

Overall I was disappointed with apples keynote anyway, $20 for the touch addon stuff, after I payed £270 for the damn thing? I'll stick to being jailbroken I thinks. 

The one thing I did like was the rental, it would be VERY nice if they offered a subscription say £20 m/o and watch all you want, saves me encoding shit for my  iTouch. 

i bet there would be a few idiots who buy it

it is the least functional laptop on the planet

many mac users boast about how well their macs work for media creation

so suppose you want to rip your audio cd collection,  (you will find it a little harder to do) , so you decide, no cd drive, i will just transfer it from my main PC provided that i didnt sell it so i could afford this crap  (or god forbid a college student mistakenly buys this)

so you cant import your cd's directly so you rush home to connect it to your main pc, (sadly it lacks the connectivity found in $30 pda's ) so you  then  grab your Ethernet cable to connect  it to your router, but after a hour of searching, you  cant find any way to connect that cable to it

so you use the wireless

now after that whole mess you finally have your  music on your crap laptop only to find out that you now have almost no hard drive space left because the laptop was  very affordable so you could understand why they couldn't put a better hard drive in there ;)

so now that you have everything ready.

you begin to enjoy your 13 inch iphone that  lacks half of it's functionality

until some time later when you see that 5 hour battery only lasing 5 minutes. So you look for the battery to see if theres anything wrong and also for a model number so you can buy a new one, but after a hour of looking, you cant find the battery compartment, so you call apple and they gladly offer to replace the battery for you for the low low price of $200  :)

but you cant afford that much as your probably still paying off the cost of the laptop

so you search  for a replacement battery so you can open it your self and replace the battery

so when taking it apart, you find that the battery is in the worst place possible

eventually you replace the battery while annoyed to a level where humans  can not even think of

I will get the eeePC when the version with the bigger screen is released. The current one is cool but I can't stand that screen. I'm not particularly bother if the larger screen makes the unit cost an extra £100 (which, tbh, is extortion).

I will get the eeePC when the version with the bigger screen is released. The current one is cool but I can't stand that screen. I'm not particularly bother if the larger screen makes the unit cost an extra £100 (which, tbh, is extortion).

Yeah, but the larger screen is going to retain the same crappy resolution.

Yeah, but the larger screen is going to retain the same crappy resolution.

Unless it's the 8.9" version, reported to have a planned resolution of 1024x600.

Sorry Moonlit...

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Prototype_8_9P_..._Spotted_at_CES

If the link proves incorrect, feel free to let me know and rub my nose in shit.  But I did see the same report a few times over.

As far as I know Asus did produce the machine to the right but it's not yet available (and might never be) in that form. It would however likely replace the current 7" if it was. It has been said though that the 8" would retain the existing resolution but the 8.9" would not. Makes sense really, the cheapest one being the lowest spec'd.