New Gaming PC Problems

Stevetron

I just finished building a computer for a friend of mine however, it's having some serious issues.

It constantly crashes and restarts.  Mundane tasks such as starting internet explorer will set the thing off, crashing it.  At this point I"ve installed windows twice but to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated.

Specs

Core2 Duo e6750

asus p5ne sli motherboard

2gb corsair ddr2 @800mhz

2 wd 250 gb hard drives

evga 8800gts 640mb

windows xp home

Cpu looks like it is running fine, it's seated firmly and the heatsink fan appears to be operational.  The PSU is a 550 watter heat issues don't seem to be a problem as there are 5 fans in the thing.  I took one stick of RAM out and had the same issues as with the two, ill check the 2nd tomorrow and post back.

I've actually just noticed a realtek driver issue, has anyone had any problems with it?  Also during installation I got a memory error but it continued anyway.  I'm gonna go for a 3rd install of windows.  Again feedback is greatly appreciated.

Could be dud/fried RAM, could be power or heat issues. What size PSU? Check the temperatures and voltages too and make sure the CPU's heatsink is on correctly/the fan is working as it should be.

perhaps you could tell us what temp your processor is running at, cos my money is still on hot.

and you have got the service packs and updates right

Before i put my second fan in my computer would crash playing games but im running a 1.9ghz duel core so it isnt a monster cpu. Maybe it isnt getting air or your fans are back defront check that there not blowing air out but into the case. also is it in a confined space mine gets 20 degrees hotter in my pc desk than when its out on the floor

I couldn't update it with any of the service packs because it just crashes way to quickly.  When last I checked the bios it had the cpu at 30 degrees C which seemed unusually low.  I'm passing by my friends house again today to check it out so I'll update with more info later.  Thx

I had the same problem with the same bits (or near enough), no idea what it was but I took all the bits back and got them replaced. It then worked. You can piss about testing them, or start buying extra bits like a sound card but if something is broken, its broken. You can't fix it, you need to replace it.