Which will boot?

Sparda

Since IDE drives are dying off I'm moving all my stuff to SATA drives.

So, to try and make it easy as running a single command, I'm dd imaging my IDE drive to a SATA. They are identical in size. The command I am waiting to finish running is:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda conv=noerror iflag=direct oflag=direct

Both Windows and Kubutnu are installed on this drive. Who wants to predict which will boot first time or which could be made bootable at all?

I suspect both will fail to boot initially, but I will be able to make kubuntu boot after playing with grub. I will probably have to reinstall windows.

My findings:

GRUB loads no problem

Kubuntu boots and gets stuck (presumably trying to mount /)

Windows boots, and amazingly, with every thing working, not a single error.

Nope, I can't get Kubuntu to boot, it keeps spamming messages such as these to the screen.

Maybe it's not an issue that it doesn't like booting from a diffrent hard drive then the norm, but for what ever reason it doesn't like my RAID controller. Windows would like it because it alredy has the drivers for it (I'd guess). I'm taking this opportunity to install Kubuntu 64bit and see what 'issues' it has.

Having install Kubuntu 64 it is still struggling to work continuously giving the messages from my previous post. Now it does (eventually) get to the desktop. I think the root of the problem is my motherboards SATA controller having poor support. this probably means when I come to reinstalling windows it will say "YOU DON'T HAVE A HARD DRIVE. PLEASE INSERT A FLOPPY IN THE THE FLOPPY DRIVE YOU DON'T HAVE PLUGGED IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD WHICH CONTAINS DRIVERS FOR YOUR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER".

This is the exact reason I never wanted to use SATA drives in the first place. I also preferred the IDE for booting the OS because it has far better support. But since IDE as a connection type is dying off I don't have much choice in this.

Maybe there are better drivers with a different version of linux? Or just reinstall linux on the IDE side of the mobo and leave windows on the SATA drives.

I'v put the Kubutnu not booting problems down to a stupid hard drive that has errors on it's disk (probably a bad choice to got for a maxtor). Spinrite found several errors on the kubuntu partitions, but interestingly non on the windows partitions. This is probably because the disk probably started to struggle in the middle of the dd operation (the windows partition been only 40GB and at the beginning of the disk).

So it looks quite possible that had the drive I used not crapped out that both OS's would have booted flawlessly.

Having install Kubuntu 64 it is still struggling to work continuously giving the messages from my previous post. Now it does (eventually) get to the desktop. I think the root of the problem is my motherboards SATA controller having poor support. this probably means when I come to reinstalling windows it will say "YOU DON'T HAVE A HARD DRIVE. PLEASE INSERT A FLOPPY IN THE THE FLOPPY DRIVE YOU DON'T HAVE PLUGGED IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD WHICH CONTAINS DRIVERS FOR YOUR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER".

This is the exact reason I never wanted to use SATA drives in the first place. I also preferred the IDE for booting the OS because it has far better support. But since IDE as a connection type is dying off I don't have much choice in this.

VaKo had this same problem use FreeBSD