Forum Layout - Ideas?

VaKo

This would be one place a poll might make sense. Take a vote/poll on what is the best cousre of action. What layout works best for the majority?

Have several different layouts to choose from, and then vote on it. Majority being the new layout.

Another way to make it work for everyone, is to have seperate modules for each section, and then let the user place them in the order they want and have it saved in a cookie for each user. Then, the page is customized to each persons liking. You can pick what categories you want to see and in what order, and place the rest in a misc bin at the bottom of the page. While that woudl be nice, the coding side of it would probably be a bit more time consuming, and possibly counter productive, but if you have ever used something like googles iGoogle page where you can drag and drop sections of th epage to arrange it to your liking, you will understand what I am trying to get across. (http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en  Check out the boxes of different things and drag and drop them where you want on the page.) Anything you don't want to see could be X'ed out and then thrown in a thread at the bottom for all the misc stuff you never look at, but still accessible if you wanted to browse it.

I like how the forums have been condensed and the crosstalk that comes with it. I'm not sure the titles for each section makes organizational sense but as long as the good stuff is visible it doesn't really matter.

In the next few weeks I'll be looking at fixing the homepage layout and one of the things thats most important to me is bringing the community to center stage. As such I'll be trying to work plugins in that will hopefully pull popular content from the forums and wiki to micro-blogs on the homepage.

Great work all involved and good to be back (it was really dark and scary in that trunk)

The Watercooler

|- Everything Else

|- Questions

|- Community Projects

|  |- Problems & Suggestions

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Talk (or a better name)

|- Discussion (General talk, news etc)

|- Questions (Questions, help and advice - FAQ sticky which links to the wiki for questions like "i have a virus, what next", "what linux is right for me?" etc)

|- Hacks, Mods & Codding (Got an idea for a project, a hack, mod or some code but need help getting started?)

|  |- Community Projects (stuff run by the community for the community, rainbow5, folding@home5 etc)

|  |- Showcase (show off your hacks, mods, tutorials etc - projects must follow certain guides and be moderated, emphasis on turning them into wiki articles.)

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Comments?

The Watercooler

|- Everything Else

|- Questions

|- Community Projects

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Talk (or a better name)

|- Questions (Questions, help and advice - FAQ sticky which links to the wiki for questions like "i have a virus, what next", "what linux is right for me?" etc)

|- Hacks, Mods & Codding (Got an idea for a project, a hack, mod or some code but need help getting started?)

|  |- Community Projects (stuff run by the community for the community, rainbow5, folding@home5 etc)

|  |- Showcase (show off your hacks, mods, tutorials etc - projects must follow certain guides and be moderated, emphasis on turning them into wiki articles.)

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Comments?

Well, any comments?

The Watercooler

|- Everything Else

|- Questions

|- Community Projects

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Talk (or a better name)

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Comments?

Well, any comments?

Looks awesome but why is #hak5 in archive? Cant it be placed somewhere else... like services?

The Watercooler

|- Everything Else

|- Questions

|- Community Projects

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Talk (or a better name)

|  |- Archive

|- #hak5

Comments?

Well, any comments?

Looks awesome but why is #hak5 in archive? Cant it be placed somewhere else... like services?

really?

REALLY?!

I think you read that wrong. Archive is a sub forum in the above thread and #hak5 is the last forum section.

• 5 months later...

the new forum design is really good.

everything loads quickly

just wish there were a feature to make our own custom forum list, like in fusetalk where users could make a custom forum list of only the ones they use on the top, then the other that they are less likely to use can either be hidden or set to come after the ones they use or be part of a drop down menu

this will be great for mobile devices with limited screen space

the new forum design is really good.

everything loads quickly

just wish there were a feature to make our own custom forum list, like in fusetalk where users could make a custom forum list of only the ones they use on the top, then the other that they are less likely to use can either be hidden or set to come after the ones they use or be part of a drop down menu

this will be great for mobile devices with limited screen space

http://hak5.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/ doesn't save enough space?

yep that size is perfect for a mobile user, but it doesnt give any indication if a forum topic has had any new replies

like in the regular forums it will have a indication like a faded icon for already read and a non faded one for a thread with a new reply

it would be better if the lofi version could have something like topics with new replies are in bold and ones with out new replies or have already been read and theres nothing new will be in normal text with out any bold

• 1 year later...
I saw that this forum is now aviable in seven languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, Chinese, Portuguese, French and German. I can make the Italian translation of the forum, is it a good idea?

I think all we need to do is install the correct language pack, there is an upgrade due, bug me about it then.