The Dell Ubuntu laptops

Sparda

18+ Only (anger venting)

Looking for a new laptop (this current one isn't even a year old, but it's a fucking piece of shit*)

Looking at the Dell Ubuntu laptops, they are really tempting.

[table]

[tr][td]BASE[/td][td]N-Series Intel® Pentium™ Dual-Core T2130 Processor (1.86GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MEMORY[/td][td]2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]HARD DRIVE[/td][td]100GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]OPTICAL DRIVE[/td][td]Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive for N-Series[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]PRIMARY BATTERY[/td][td]9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)[/td][/tr]

[/table]

My ideal laptop (above) would cost about £630

Essentially, does any one have any experience with the Inspiron 6400n series?

*fucking peice of shit = {

wireless is always on even when wireless switch set to off

BIOS is locked down and a fucking cunt (thus I can't turn down the CPU clock speed to save power)

Has a fucking crapalitius 'HD' (read 'DRM friendly') sound card

thus sound input doesn't work

it's only power saving feature seems to be the altering of the screen brightness (particularly since the wireless adapter is stuck on)

}

18+ Only (anger venting)

Looking for a new laptop (this current one isn't even a year old, but it's a fucking piece of shit*)

Looking at the Dell Ubuntu laptops, they are really tempting.

[table]

[tr][td]BASE[/td][td]N-Series Intel® Pentium™ Dual-Core T2130 Processor (1.86GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MEMORY[/td][td]2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]HARD DRIVE[/td][td]100GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]OPTICAL DRIVE[/td][td]Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive for N-Series[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]PRIMARY BATTERY[/td][td]9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)[/td][/tr]

[/table]

My ideal laptop (above) would cost about £630

Essentially, does any one have any experience with the Inspiron 6400n series?

*fucking peice of shit = {

wireless is always on even when wireless switch set to off

BIOS is locked down and a fucking cunt (thus I can't turn down the CPU clock speed to save power)

Has a fucking crapalitius 'HD' (read 'DRM friendly') sound card

thus sound input doesn't work

it's only power saving feature seems to be the altering of the screen brightness (particularly since the wireless adapter is stuck on)

}

What OS is currently on the laptop? On my Laptop there are two ways to turn off the card. One: with the Function+corresponding Key combo to turn off the radio, and Two: Through Network COnnections and right clicking the adapter ands etting it to DISABLE. I am running Windows XP MCE 2005 and my laptop automatically declocks to half speed once I come off AC power and am on Battery.

I personally wish it was like yours where I do not down clock when using the battery power, because my HDTV card needs at least 2ghz to run efficiently and when I am on battery, the most I get is about 766mhz. HD works spotty as it is, so any less CPU just kills it.

I love inspiron boxes, but as far as bios goes don't look for anything special.  Generally Dell locks down their bios to shit, so don't expect ways to adjust clock speeds.  As far as the wireless goes, they work great and can turn them off.

Is it because they do not want users screwing with it?

No, probally because enthusiast kit is marketed at people will want to tweak every setting under the sun, including the potentially warranty busting ones. Dell on the other hand wants something that is stable and runs everything at the default speed in the default way. Intel boards are the same.

No, probally because enthusiast kit is marketed at people will want to tweak every setting under the sun, including the potentially warranty busting ones. Dell on the other hand wants something that is stable and runs everything at the default speed in the default way. Intel boards are the same.

If I were dell I would do the same thing, but as I am not dell, fuck them for not letting us tweak it.