Win XP SP3??

bmanice

You know, it would be nice if Vista was just a S3P upgrade, instead of the steaming pile of dung it really is. Instead of a new OS, just lock down XP. I mean, Vista may be secure in some areas over XP, but there is no need for anyone to leave XP at this point in time. The problems with compatibility and system requirements don't make me want to jump at it.

As for SP3 in XP, why would they even bother when its slated for decommission? (<--I already know they are beta testing it right now, this was sarcasm) Its already on the phase out and I would think by next year or so, they will not have XP on store shelves any more. At some point they will have to stop XP production in order to force the switch to Vista, but by that time, they will probably have a beta of their new OS. They say that Microsoft is already working on the new one, so what was the waste of time that is currently Vista?

The only advantage Vista will has over XP is Direct-X 10, and I am not a computer gamer, so I have no need for it. And I am sure someone iwll figure a way to port it to XP.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+confirms+nex...6274.html  <-- This article is from 2005, so Where is SP3 now?

http://www.thehotfix.net/index.php?option=...;Itemid=1  <---More recent news.

WARNING: I'm reading the forums in a REALLY bad mood, so the following is going to be much more harsh, and possibly illogical and unintelligent than I normally post.

You know, it would be nice if Vista was just a S3P upgrade, instead of the steaming pile of dung it really is. Instead of a new OS, just lock down XP. I mean, Vista may be secure in some areas over XP, but there is no need for anyone to leave XP at this point in time. The problems with compatibility and system requirements don't make me want to jump at it.

I am REALLY sick and tired of people ragging on Vista. It's perfectly ok. Microsoft did a good job. There are useful features in the operating system. A short and incomplete list of which includes

• [li]Instant Search[/li]

[li]An improved and much more attractive GUI (Aero)[/li]

[li]Improved features and usability in the windows shell/file manager[/li]

[li]OS X style widgets[/li]

[li]WMP11 and IE7[/li]

[li]Windows DVD Maker[/li]

[li]Windows media centre included[/li]

[li]easy backup with shadow copy[/li]

[li]parental controls[/li]

[li]completely new network stack with native support for IPv6 and NAT traversal technologies[/li]

[li]Windows photo centre[/li]

which is clearly far from

The only advantage Vista will has over XP is Direct-X 10

I dare anyone in this forum to sit for 5 years and to try to program an operating system that's more reliable and feature packed than windows vista.

The fact is that Vista IS a stable, modern consumer operating system, by any reasonable measure. Remember, Linux and OSX both crash from time to time in just the same way (especially when using iLife)

XP is an outdated rusty old OS that is on its way out and has in fact overstayed its welcome. There is a much more suitable and appropriate alternative.

Instant Search

An improved and much more attractive GUI (Aero)

Improved features and usability in the windows shell/file manager

OS X style widgets

WMP11 and IE7

Windows DVD Maker

Windows media centre included

easy backup with shadow copy

parental controls

completely new network stack with native support for IPv6 and NAT traversal technologies

Windows photo centre

A lot of these features work on XP or can be downloaded for XP. While I am not a fan boy of Mac's and Linux, I have tried other OS's and will stick witn Windows. But that does not mean just because they came out with a new OS I am going to drop XP for Vista. I have Vista and personally hate it. The GUI is ugly, IE7 is ok, but I cna run it on XP, Widgets are just that, widgets, and can run on most OS's from Linux to Windows and Mac, Media Center is the most offered XP flaver for the past few years, WMP11 works in XP, Group Policy and Locking down IE6/7 is just as effective as any parental controls, people just don't kno whow to use it, Window search in XP works just fine for me, I don't need some google like indexer crawling through my machine and slowing me down (btw, I turn off all Indexing features in XP any way, which don't improve the native search anyway, they only help when searching from the admin tools within files through the compmgmt.msc > indexing service > query the catalog )

You like Vista, then that is fine, but others are entitled to their opinion just as you are. I still find no reason to switch as of yet. When the time comes that Vista has matured and more integrated with other software and hardware,then maybe I will switch, but for now, XP does the job just fine. If Vista was such the great OS people say it is, then companies like Dell woudl not continue to offer the options to have XP or Vista. Bottom line, You decide what you want, but that doesn't mean everyone else wants it too. Just like Ubuntu. Not everyone wants it, nor do they need it.

This whole argument reminds me of the people who said "XP is nothing but a pretty skin for 2K, I'm not going to touch the thing"...
I'm not pro or con when it comes to vista.  There are a lot of better OSes out there and there are a lot of worse ones.  However in a year or two (maybe three) just about everyone will be using vista.  already at 10% on the forums

I'm back online and I just got my first vista machine a Toshiba Satellite A135. untill today I'd never touched vista I'll give you one good reason not to use vista. My old machine was a 1.6ghz and XP pro ran great. :) if it ain't borked don't fix it. :)

Vista ran fine on a Pentium M running at 600mhz (ULV chip that scaled back from 1400mhz) with half a gig of ram for me, and that was back when the debug code was still switched on. I'm just waiting until I need to upgrade to get Vista personally.

i agree that evry one has there own opinion, though it shits me to read, "Vista sucks!!! why.. well because!" of ur gonna be baggin somethin at least make the effort to say what you dont like about it, otherwise u seem uncreditable, and pointless.

About the topic, ive heard as well that SP3 is just all the updates compiled into one installer, as well as a few tweeks, and nice bits. Such as WMP11, IE7,  and WinDefender. Though ive also heard that SP3 will allow for DX10 on XP, this im not sure about :S

Back to vista, ive been using it for about 1-2 months now, and have no issue with it wat so ever, at first it was hard to navigate, though this is only due to it differing from XP's. It looks pretty :-) and on a high end system, runs lovely. For all that i can see, its XP +, so i have no longer a need to run XP when vista is avaliable.

Side note. Its great to be back from Jap! loved it overthere, but home sweet home :-)

I think that XP will be around for a long time....esspecially in bussiness where they will probably not want to upgrade for a long time, especially where there are compatibility issues.

Untill they can make Vista as stable as XP and they need to get rid of all the 15 diffrent versions thats totally dumb and a waste of there time.  Just make like 2 or 3 versions.  Home, Pro, Server Thats all you really need none of the premiums bullshit

• 1 month later...

DX10 was designed from the ground up for Vista, it will never show up on xp, DirectX9 will be as high as it goes in the case of xp. Sorry to be the server of bad news.

Vista is very nice, when it does everything you want it to. however if you have an application that you absolutely need that wont run on vista that XP is for you. Just wait for the next time you want to get a computer to get vista.

I have a Vista Laptop, and an XP Desktop. Both are duel core AMDs with 2gigs ram.

DX10 was designed from the ground up for Vista, it will never show up on xp, DirectX9 will be as high as it goes in the case of xp. Sorry to be the server of bad news.

Vista is very nice, when it does everything you want it to. however if you have an application that you absolutely need that wont run on vista that XP is for you. Just wait for the next time you want to get a computer to get vista.

I have a Vista Laptop, and an XP Desktop. Both are duel core AMDs with 2gigs ram.

Actually, if there is something in XP you want to run on vista, there are "virtual" ways of doing it, but require some sort of hyper visor or vm.

http://tech.nocr.at/software/make-it-all-p...le-thinstall-it