Sony VAIO One TIme Password

digip

My neighbor recently got a laptop from her father after he passed away. It has a finger scanner built in and when she hits escape to bypass the scanner it asks for a password. Does anyone know how to bypass this, or know of a program that can generate the one-time password based on the key procided? I couldn't find anything on the sony site about getting a one-time password for it based on the key.

My neighbor recently got a laptop from her father after he passed away. It has a finger scanner built in and when she hits escape to bypass the scanner it asks for a password. Does anyone know how to bypass this, or know of a program that can generate the one-time password based on the key procided? I couldn't find anything on the sony site about getting a one-time password for it based on the key.
live CD

Live cd doe snto work. It is password protected with a thumb scanner, and if you bypass the thumb scanner you manullay enter a password, but we don't know it. BIOS is password protected as well.

Live cd doe snto work. It is password protected with a thumb scanner, and if you bypass the thumb scanner you manullay enter a password, but we don't know it. BIOS is password protected as well.
pull the BIOS battery, rinse, repeat.

Not stored in a CMOS anymore. Ist in an EEPROM and I am not taking apart a laptop ro mess with it. Too much involved. I do get to a one-time password screen, but we didn't want to have to pay customer service to unlock it. No boot cds work. Live or otherwise without getting passed the systems built in password protection. I would never buy one of these myself, but it's not mine, so if I don't get it running, its no sweat off my back, just trying to help her.

I don't care what is on it. It was her fathers, so she might want to see what was on there, but I think at this point she just wants to get rid of it. She can't use it or even sell it if it does not work.

Bring it into a dealership that sells these machines (if such a thing still exists) or contact Sony about it.

Either that, or dig up the corpse and cut off a finger.

I'm guessing the first method will be preferred...

Yeah, as long as you can prove you've not nicked it they should be kosher about reseting it. To get the data back however, that will take some more doing. I would advise getting it back to honest.

Bring it into a dealership that sells these machines (if such a thing still exists) or contact Sony about it.

Either that, or dig up the corpse and cut off a finger.

I'm guessing the first method will be preferred...

I like option two soooo much better

I'm thinking the fact that it is her father, she'd rather toss it in the trash than go with option 2.

Shame, its failry new and has a nice large screen. I was someone knew of a hack for the one-time password genertor. Like where you enter the key and it gives you the one-time password. It prompts you a key that gets converted to a password, but I guess you would have to send it to sony to get it unlocked.

I guess if someone was paranoid of getting their lappy stolen, one with a builtin thumb scanner like hers is the way to go. The only other option I told her was to swap the hard drive and see if it lets you boot up an install cd. If it still gives you the prompt, then it is not like you can get around it without Sony unlocking it.

Normally you can override such things with a dongle or something. Of course, such things are protected better than the crown jewels.

Try removing the HDD and CMOS/main batteries... if that doesn't work then without Son'y help it's dead.
I think that is the route were going to try next.

Normally you can override such things with a dongle or something. Of course, such things are protected better than the crown jewels.
Well, this one is protected pretty well. Governments would be good to use this system, except not to provide the One-Time hash to get the password, instead using a dongle device with their unlock for it kept in a secure location NO WHERe NEAR the pc/laptop. After messing with it, I have a bit more respect for the Vaio, even if we can't get it to run. It's like Fort Knox!

Hello,

- Open the device

- Remove the HD

- Put it into some other computer.

- Install the OS you like

- Put it into your laptop again (Hint: if you use windows, don't forget to run sysprep first)

Keep smiling

yanosz

It's not the OS that's been secured. It's the BIOS. Unfortunately, I suspect, that clearing the CMOS won't help. If so, the only thing you could do is replace the BIOS chip with a version of the BIOS that isn't aware of the finger print scanner, or some how manage to downgrade the current BIOS. This, however, may also proof futile as the older BIOS may detect that a form of authentication was used, and as such, may prompt for a password. Which may cause a bigger problem as it's possible the older BIOS version used a different encryption algorithm, thus even the correct password will now be 'incorrect'.

• 3 weeks later...

Im sure that there a way to do it.... i would do a lot of googling on it....

mabey that have a copy of the fingerprint availble somewhere? did he register with missing person... can you lift a print off of something.

most of those scanners aren't impossible to fool.  Print the fingerprint on a transparency,cut it out and stick it to a piece of green/blue fun-tack and try that.... look for info on that too

Otherwise i would try and contact Sony Support it would be worth $50 to get a nice laptop especially if it has family photos and things on it

If you just neet to recover data than you can pull the hard drive and you should be able to pull some of the information off the drive as long as its not encrypted or locked by the hdd controller board

Im sure that there a way to do it.... i would do a lot of googling on it....

mabey that have a copy of the fingerprint availble somewhere? did he register with missing person... can you lift a print off of something.

most of those scanners aren't impossible to fool.  Print the fingerprint on a transparency,cut it out and stick it to a piece of green/blue fun-tack and try that.... look for info on that too

Otherwise i would try and contact Sony Support it would be worth $50 to get a nice laptop especially if it has family photos and things on it

If you just neet to recover data than you can pull the hard drive and you should be able to pull some of the information off the drive as long as its not encrypted or locked by the hdd controller board

watch mythbusters for a howto