Ubuntu 7 anyone?

VaKo

As with every ubuntu release, I download and install a copy. And every release I sigh.

Problem #1: Installed fine, then refused to mount any disks due to corruption. Took a reinstall to fix.

Problem #2: Installed nvidia drivers, and X wouldn't restart. Had to remove and reinstall then via the terminal.

Problem #3: Compiz runs, but doesn't draw boarders for windows, had to install Beryl to get around this problem.

Problem #4: Didn't setup my graphics card properly, had to modify xorg.conf manually to setup the correct monitor resolutions.

Its odd, Ubuntu is supposed to be for the masses, but I found FreeBSD far less problematic to setup as a desktop machine, despite building everything from source.

I agree with you there, despite the ubuntu contributors best efforts it's still not ready for Joe Bloggs. Some would argue that it's not supposed to be, that's another conversation entirely, but if this is gonna ever be useful to Joe Bloggs then it needs to be fool-proof.

No CLI knowledge required, no editing config files (didn't we do that enough in Win3.1? ;)), no reinstalling graphics drivers 6 times because they don't work, none of that. It just won't work.

Maybe I should give LTS a whirl now that its been out for a bit, but if MS released a *beta* with as many flaws as Ubuntu 7 they would have there ass handed to them on a silver plater. I dunno, maybe I'm turning into the ubuntu version of those people who cannot install XP on anything despite 99% of the worlds computer literate population having no issues.

I upgraded my laptop from Edgy to Feisty using Synaptic, which took a while, but I didn't have to worry about graphics drivers because it has integrated graphics that worked out of the box.

Something that might be ready Joe Bloggs would be Linux Mint, but that has some legal issues because it does inf act include the proprietary drivers in it.

I upgraded my laptop from Edgy to Feisty using Synaptic, which took a while, but I didn't have to worry about graphics drivers because it has integrated graphics that worked out of the box.

Something that might be ready Joe Bloggs would be Linux Mint, but that has some legal issues because it does inf act include the proprietary drivers in it.

Why does having proprietary drivers in it cause legal issues?

Its odd, Ubuntu is supposed to be for the masses, but I found FreeBSD far less problematic to setup as a desktop machine, despite building everything from source.

I agree with that, I have far fewer problems getting a functional desktop environment up and running with FreeBSD. I have FreeBSD on my main desktop PC and one of my servers, and I have had very little trouble with it. There are a few problems though, FreeBSD tends to be less well supported than Linux by software vendors, and the Linux binary compatibility still isn't as good as I'd like it to be. I'd like to be able to run a higher version of VMWare than 3 for instance.

I can't get NTFS-3G to work properly until FreeBSD either and I don't think much work is being done on the NTFS native driver, which is why I have Gentoo on my dual-boot laptop - being a laptop it has limited disk space and I want to be able to use the NTFS partition for storage (which means good support for writing) since I made the Linux partition minimal to reduce the space Windows has no access to.

T_T ive had issues with it as well:

1: Live CD to much for some computers, causing it to slow, and not install.

2: Install CD not working after 2 installs (also had the same issue with version 6)

3: Didnt think it was all that great :?

also DLSS, i havnt been able to get to the site for about 2days now, due ti hight traffic or maintenace, this could easly be the same for a lot of others

I've only tried it on one system so far.

I did notice a bug in the installer, if you select the option to manually edit partitions, there's nothing in the drop down menu for the mount point when you select to create a new partition, although you can type it in yourself. If you dont select a mount point, then select edit, the options are present in drop down menu.

The added option to skip downloading the package lists during install was welcome, as the ubuntu servers were being hammered at the time. If not for that, it may have taken all night.

I also liked the restricted driver manager, although i did have some problems getting it to work. When i selected the nvidia driver, it popped up the warning, i selected enable and it did nothing. Reboot, tried again and then it worked. Once the driver was installed, i still didn't have an option to set the screen resolution to 1280x1024 via the gui (only options were 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768). The auto installer also doesn't enable the nvidia control panel (at least for me it didn't), which meant either manually creating the entry or editing xorg.conf to add the modes i wanted. Nothing to lose your head over, but it could cause problems for some.

Overall it's definately an improvement over 6.10 though.

Maybe I should give LTS a whirl now that its been out for a bit, but if MS released a *beta* with as many flaws as Ubuntu 7 they would have there ass handed to them on a silver plater. I dunno, maybe I'm turning into the ubuntu version of those people who cannot install XP on anything despite 99% of the worlds computer literate population having no issues.

If Microsoft was 100% free it wouldn't catch as much shit (but it's cool to hate Microsoft and I bet it always will be)

If Microsoft was 100% free it wouldn't catch as much shit (but it's cool to hate Microsoft and I bet it always will be)

i agree

it's cool to hate Microsoft and I bet it always will be

It's not just cool (if at all it is), it's also incredibly easy because of their dick headiness based use of there monopoly.

Speaking of Ubuntu 7, I installed Kubuntu 7 on my laptop. The only major issues I have run in to so far is they my wireless card still doesn't work out of the box (I don't blame Linux for this). And that Amarok locked up (and required a kill-9) every time I tried to play a mp3, a quick google fixed this however.

and here we see why window controls the scene.

Because they will never open there DirectX API? Because *most* people (feel they) *need* MS Office which is only for windows (or double the cost for mac)? Because most PC hardware manufacturers only offer support for windows because they don't feel any other OS is worth there time hence helping MS hold there monopoly?

Which one of the many reasons are you referring to, or was it just the monopoly in general?