What Do You Think About 110MB.COM?

hsncorrosion

What Would You Rate 110mb As A Free Host? 1 being best 5 being worst  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

Only issue is the address, having 110mb.com on the end you domain is a bit sucky. In all honestly, what I would recommend is building your own webserver if you can't afford to buy hosting. Its not that hard, all you need to do is get hold of a old P3/P2 system with 256-512mb of ram and I could put together a step by step guide to freeBSD for you.

Only issue is the address, having 110mb.com on the end you domain is a bit sucky. In all honestly, what I would recommend is building your own webserver if you can't afford to buy hosting. Its not that hard, all you need to do is get hold of a old P3/P2 system with 256-512mb of ram and I could put together a step by step guide to freeBSD for you.
no-ip.org

can i get a copy of that freebsd guide

I'd love to look at that freebsd guide too :) I've never looked in to freebsd how it compare to Linux?

Here is probably the best way to describe the difference between Linux and BSD.

If Linux is the loud white geek who wants to make every one around him feel dumber then him. BSD is the big (as in muscular) black guy sat on his own wearing a string vest reading a C Programming bible. You can ask him questions, he politely answers and goes back to reading his book.

This is a fairly extremist comparison btw.

Similarly, Linux could also be said to be the retarded gay blind brother of BSD.

The handbook has a lot of good information although the install guide is maybe a bit overly complex. If you can't work out how to install FreeBSD from the handbook and Google you can always illegally download a PDF of Absolute BSD or The Complete FreeBSD from somewhere (they are a bit old now, but not much has changed in terms of the install). Once you have it set up BSD Guides has some guides useful for people new to FreeBSD.

Edit: Actually I see a new book on Amazon called "FreeBSD 6 Unleashed" by Brian Tiemann so you could try looking for that. It's newer, although I have never read it so it might not be any good. I have read the other two and they are both good books (I'd say Absolute BSD is probably better for beginners, although they both assume you don't know anything Greg Lehey has a sort of FreeBSD elitist attitude and writes in a different way).

if need be u can get in contact with me and i may give u a link to were u can download *trials* of these books...

also just wondering, do u guys really think that BSD is a shit load better for a web / file host than say FC?

I'd love to look at that freebsd guide too :) I've never looked in to freebsd how it compare to Linux?

One difference is unlike most Linux distros FreeBSD's main software management - ports - is all compiled from source when you install stuff (except Gentoo, whose portage is based on FreeBSD's ports). You can install from compiled packages, but those are just compiled versions from ports (the FreeBSD project has compiled packages available for most ports).

Another big difference between FreeBSD and Linux is FreeBSD has a much clearer line between what's part of the operating system and what isn't. Linux is really just a kernel and the operating system is just what whoever made the distro decided to put with it. There's no real definition of what makes a Linux OS (although the GNU stuff is almost always there).

FreeBSD is developed as an entire system under the FreeBSD project. It's quite different from Linux in that the kernel and the OS userland programs are developed together (there are actually a few GNU things in the base OS like gcc and a couple of bits come from other projects, but those are exceptions) and then the OS is packaged and released by the same project - it's far more centralised.

Pretty much everything else you install on top will go in /usr/local/ and libraries and configuration files don't get mixed in with the base system files (e.g. config files for anything not part of the base system goes in /usr/local/etc/ instead of /etc/).

FreeBSD to me feels like a much more "engineered" OS whereas Linux perhaps feels sort of... "hackish". I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean Linux is made up of stuff from lots of different sources (the GNU system wasn't even originally designed for the Linux kernel for instance). It's a bit hard to explain, I'm not sure I did explain very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to post.

They do let you use your own domain name.