I have wanted to get pineapple for a while now, however I would prefer getting the tactical version. While originally wanting to get a tetra, i have seen tons of complaints about it and they don't seem to be stopping. However, it seems like the Nano is more stable and therefore now want to get the nano. I've got several questions: 

1) Is it worth buying a pineapple when there are other options like FruityWifi available? does the pineapple have more functions etc.?

2) How stable is the Nano in doing its job? (do all the modules work)

3) when will the tactical versions be back in stock? (mainly a question to @Darren Kitchen if he sees this)

Thank you

3 hours ago, aethernaut said:

Whatever gave you that idea?

well i havent seen saying telling me that its a terrible product and that they thew it in the trash because it didnt work as advertised. simply by comparing current posts on the tetra and nano forums. 

https://imgur.com/5Yj3upH

5Yj3upH.png

lots of people seem very unhappy with the tetra. havent seen much like that about the nano. In fact on the most recent firmware update for the nano people were saying that it was quite good and all the modules were working. 

ok first things first, i think the reason you are seeing more people complain about the tetra than the nano is cost. the tetra costs twice as much as the nanao so people are expecting flawless performance $100 more than the nano.

With that being said, check these forums again you will see a good number of people complaining about that Nano. As far as the commend "In fact on the most recent firmware update for the nano people were saying that it was quite good and all the modules were working." i strongly disagree with this. In my humble opinion the latest firmware makes the nano unusable (it pegs the UPS to 100% and i can't work with it at that point) and i have officially urged Hak 5 to consider pulling that firmware.

As far as if its worth it, i think that depends on what your expectations are. If you just want a toy to play with, i wouldn't bother (but i also can't make fruitywifi work so i don't see an alternative). If you are an IT pro and want a deeper understanding of threats in the WIFI space or even better yet a pen tester, i would say its worth every penny. Just don't expect a magic hack box where all wifi devices connect to it.

21 hours ago, DangerAnt said:

i strongly disagree with this. In my humble opinion the latest firmware makes the nano unusable (it pegs the UPS to 100% and i can't work with it at that point)

Can you clarify what isnt working for you? I'm not doubting that you are having problems, its just that many people are in fact saying that things have mostly been working with 2.7. 

21 hours ago, DangerAnt said:

nano unusable (it pegs the UPS to 100%

Maybe a little typo. But I remember this.

Note: seb no longer working for hak5.

i don't think this is what i'm seeing. when i go to 2.7.0 i can only use the nano for about 10 min max before the cpu spikes to 100% (according to the dashboard) and pages will no longer load and i can't ssh to it. one point that will add is that i had sslsplit mod loaded, but no other mods. either way the 2.6 firmware works perfect for me (aside from sslsplit not working).

Archived