Recovery / Reset

imsplitbit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2019 at 8:10 AM, gioCando said:

i downgraded back to 2.5.4 from 2.6.0 following the suggested procedure 

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

but the TETRA never reset, and it's with yellow led on, not answering to any wire nor wireless tentatives:

What should i do to restart properly?
many thanks

These are instructions for the Pineapple, not the Signal Owl.  I’m not sure if this will work in your cases.  Has anyone tried and confirmed this?

On 8/13/2019 at 1:10 AM, gioCando said:

i downgraded back to 2.5.4 from 2.6.0 following the suggested procedure 

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

but the TETRA never reset, and it's with yellow led on, not answering to any wire nor wireless tentatives:

What should i do to restart properly?
many thanks

Wrong device mate. This for Signal Owl. You need look here.

Is there a timing on this/these types of steps? Something like "expect this pattern" or even a simple video showing the speed of the different flashing.

Finding the timing on when to do the Firmware flash button push was interesting.  Waiting for the "Fast flashing" was not what/when I expected it.  I found someone who said there's a fast flash, a slower flash, a solid on, then a REALLY fast flash, which is when you push to go to firmware flash mode, which seems to work, but I think I unplugged too soon also so I'm re-doing it.  This time it took 2 mins before I'm at a slow single flash, but not really slow, so I'm not sure if I'm in Arming mode or error mode.  ( I just redownloaded the firmware )  This time I'm going to give it a good 30 mins to make sure.

From:  https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360033503954-LED-Status-Indications

Red blinking, red fast blinking and red slow blinking isn't as descriptive as I could use.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:23 AM, imsplitbit said:

My power went out during the initial firmware upgrade and now the owl just has a veeeeeeery slow red blink and no wifi is being presented.  Is there a recovery method?

Hi imsplitbitI have the same problem, did you get back your Owl? I would appreciate any information that you can share with me. Best regards.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:04 AM, NazgulAngmar said:

Hi imsplitbitI have the same problem, did you get back your Owl? I would appreciate any information that you can share with me. Best regards.

Did you guys get a resolution? It sounds like once the device is "bricked", it's only good for hardware reuse. I had the same issue - 3 minutes into my initial firmware upgrade the power dropped and apparently there's no recovery. Since the device is relatively "cheap", I'll re-order and try one more time. As for the initial "bricked" device. I'm sure I can find use for the hardware, so I'll just crack it open. Unless you guys found a solution?  

Are you guys sure it's completely "bricked"?

I'm having some issues with mine whee I can't get a payload to transfer from usb storage to the device.  It was working at one point but for some reason it is not so I too am looking for a reset solution of some type.

But not being able to load a payload or firmware from usb storage doesn't mean it's not working.  I am still able to get it into arming mode and I can SSH into it and navigate the directories.

I can 'cat' the payload to see it's not the same one I have on the usb and I can manually 'cp' and 'rd' the loot files.

But other than that it's really not working correctly if I can't flash or replace a payload...  so I need a reset solution.

I agree that it's relatively cheap and I too am going to order another one or two to keep playing with.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

No, unfortunately there is not a firmware recovery option if the power is lost while flashing.

Hi Darren,

I have both jtag and serial ttl capability so am happy to connect directly to the board and try and flash that way.  Obviously this isnt something that would be supported but any idea if it would then pull from tftp or similar would be great.

@monsieurmarc you'll find serial pads on the bottom of the board along the side opposite the USB ports. I believe they're labeled and you need only connect RX, TX and Ground.

image.png

Baud Rate: 115200
Parity: 8N1
Hardware Flow Control: No
Software Flow Control: No

On boot you'll be prompted "Hit any key to stop autobooting". Pressing any key will drop you to a uboot> prompt. The help command shows all that's available. It supports tftpboot, but I can't say I've ever flashed it directly via serial. 

Hit any key to stop autobooting:  0 

uboot> help
?        - alias for 'help'
bootm    - bootm   - boot application image from memory
cp       - memory copy
dhcp     - invoke DHCP client to obtain IP/boot params
echo     - echo args to console
erase    - erase FLASH memory
exit     - exit script
go       - start application at address 'addr'
help     - print embedded help
httpd    - start www server for firmware recovery
iminfo   - iminfo  - print header information for application image
itest    - return true/false on integer compare
md       - memory display
mm       - memory modify (auto-incrementing)
mtest    - RAM test
mw       - memory write (fill)
nm       - memory modify (constant address)
ping     - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
printenv - print environment variables
printmac - print MAC addresses stored in FLASH
reset    - perform RESET of the CPU
run      - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv  - save environment variables to FLASH
setenv   - set environment variables
setmac   - save new MAC address in FLASH
startnc  - start net console
startsc  - start serial console
test     - minimal test like /bin/sh
tftpboot - boot image via network using TFTP protocol
version  - print U-Boot version

uboot>

There's also a failsafe section later on in the boot process that'll drop you into a busybox shell if you press f then enter.

Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
f
- failsafe -
/etc/preinit: line 6: dropbearkey: not found
/etc/preinit: line 7: dropbear: not found

BusyBox v1.30.1 () built-in shell (ash)

ash: can't access tty; job control turned off
 .___.
 {o,o}
 /)__)  Hak5 Signal Owl
  "  "  Version XVERSIONX
=======================================
 Built on OpenWRT 19.07
 .___.
 {o,o}
 /)__)  Hak5 Signal Owl
  "  "  Version XVERSIONX (Failsafe)
 Built on OpenWRT 19.07
root@(none):/# 

From here you have all the usual suspects - iwconfig, scp, sysupgrade - which in concert should get you going.

Obviously the warranty is void when you crack the case, but seeing as it's bricked anyway you've really got nothing to lose. My condolences on your loss - and best of luck should you take on the adventure. 

There's also an express replacement service that covers accidental damage and other out-of-warranty claims for a small one-time incident fee. More info at the bottom of https://shop.hak5.org/pages/support

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this topic. I managed to brick my Owl by messing around with sysupgrade (I botched my arming mode config and couldn't connect to it anymore, but I could connect fine by pushing a payload that started sshd). So it erased parts of my flash, whooops (squashfs is corrupted, the kernel still mostly boots via serial console, but most files just don't work at all).

Anyway, I wrote a nodejs script that can now send the image to it via serial using a single "mm" command and its auto-increment feature. Excruciatingly slow, but sadly, despite u-boot claiming there is two eth interfaces for TFTP boot, there is none.

@Darren KitchenIs there any pins/pads you could wire/solder an RJ45 jack to?

P.S.: Can you in future such devices please include the "loadb" command in uboot? At least then flashing takes 15 minutes over serial, not 4 hours which this will probably take. :P

P.P.S.: Also this has prompted me to order an SPI/EEPROM/... programmer so I can fix those things faster in the future.

Ok .... “Houston, we have a problem” ..... I didn’t use the right format for my USB drive; it is an old scan disk ....  I still have the signal owl attached to power and it is blinking rapidly, can I just put in a correctly formatted USB drive and still salvage this thing?

4 hours ago, The_Dude_31 said:

Ok .... “Houston, we have a problem” ..... I didn’t use the right format for my USB drive; it is an old scan disk ....  I still have the signal owl attached to power and it is blinking rapidly, can I just put in a correctly formatted USB drive and still salvage this thing?

Ok I am back in business.  Went out and grabbed a USB I could format as FAT32.  Came home, formatted USB in FAT32.  I kept the Signal Owl powered up the whole time so it never lost power.  I downloaded the firmware to the USB, ejected the USB and plugged it in to the powered up Signal Owl.  The Owl went through al of its blinking machinations and ended with a slow blink which should mean firmware is updated and there is no payload on it.  I believe I live to fight another day with Signal Owl 🦉.... a signals intelligence platform ....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived