Best AntiVirus

Rocold

My Parent called me today and wanted me to come renew their antivirus. Yes they don't even know how to renew it.

They have Norton right now, and I know i had trouble with it awhile ago. The autodetect was disabled and took a lot of googling to reenable it.

Anyway my question to everyone out there is what antivirus should I get them. I don't want them to continue to use Norton.

They don't want to use a free one like AVG or AntiVir so what antivirus does everyone here use............

[off topic]

Boot Fedora Core and they will froget what the word virus means! I have been using linux for six months, I had one unrecovable crash. Windows in the past month crashed several times! If they must stick with Windows, I use AVG.

What is it you people do that has windows crashing every 5 seconds? I've got a win2003 box that hasn't been rebooted in 2 months. As for my XP box, never had a problem with it, no viruses, no crashes, no BSOD's. So, how come Billy G gifted me with the only working copy of XP?

The day Linux gets a virus (don't say its impossible, because it isn't) I will probally have a heart attack from laughing so much.

[/off topic]

[off topic]
Boot Fedora Core and they will froget what the word virus means! I have been using linux for six months, I had one unrecovable crash. Windows in the past month crashed several times! If they must stick with Windows, I use AVG.

What is it you people do that has windows crashing every 5 seconds? I've got a win2003 box that hasn't been rebooted in 2 months. As for my XP box, never had a problem with it, no viruses, no crashes, no BSOD's. So, how come Billy G gifted me with the only working copy of XP?

The day Linux gets a virus (don't say its impossible, because it isn't) I will probally have a heart attack from laughing so much.

[/off topic]

Have you ever booted your windows box? :)

I use nod32 on most of my systems because it's good, it uses almost no precious, precious resources, and you can tell it to shut the hell up and do its job.

I also really like Avast! and have nothing against AVG - maybe try one of those, they're both free.

im not a linux fan boy im just starting out! but i would say burn of knoppix 3.7 or something take it round there and boot the live cd

get them to use it for a while see if they like it

if they do, do a HD install of knoppix or something similar

Anyway my question to everyone out there is what antivirus should I get them. I don't want them to continue to use Norton.

They don't want to use a free one like AVG or AntiVir so what antivirus does everyone here use............

Well its their box and their Money so you can only suggest.

A lot of good AV has been said besides what users think McAffe and Norton is. But you have to realize they must be able to use it and know what to do if something happens. So you show them the "best" but not known to the common user but they may feel uneasy.

So let them continue with what they think is the best, and if they get hit then suggest the better AV at that time. They will be more apt to listening at that point.

Dont forget to ensure they use a firewall if they dont already :-)

Do not use F-Secure, it's so fucking slow. Use NOD32 if you must. Or install your parents some Linux!

:shock:

I thought F-Secure was doing pretty well. Switched my parents to it after Norton pretty much screeched their system to a complete halt.

Should some unlucky soul not yet know any better:

Norton *SUCKS*!

Dude, i used to have to support Norton over the phone for people who could barely use a mouse... talk about a nightmare. Why do people think anti-virus is like wine, it doesn't get better with age or price!

But the soultion was easy, "you using norton?" 'yes' "turn it off..." <click> 'wow... everything works now'...

As I said, AntiVir Personal Editon, it's free it *works* and, as I type this it;s using 5MB of memory and has used 6minuets and 18 seconds of CPU time dur in the 7 days 21 houres and 33 minuets my computer has been on.

*It does work, but it's not the best at detecting viruses using it's real time scanner, it catches most of them, but it's batch file scanner is better.