About drone control

shokoishida

Yo whut?!

$20k+ USD for a drone jammer..

How, in any world, is that worth to say "Ha, nice drone, kid. Shame it's been grounded!" (not that I would say that in the first place).

I mean, if you really, REALLY wanted to make sure no one could see anything in a radius, including with drones, then maybe..

I’ve always known wifi to be 2.4 & 5ghz. it is really 5.8ghz used with drones or is wifi 5ghz and drones are 5.8ghz?

if the same, wouldn’t a yagi and deauth be very similar to jamming?

This much jam talk makes me want to watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Cat in the wall ‘eh?!

When people say "5 GHz" they mean everything in the range of 5.1 -> 5.8 (specifically, for the US it's 5170-5835) for WLAN. That's why it's unspecified and rounded to 5 GHz.
Most drones (and some RC cars) use 5.8 GHz, or 2.4 GHz. I assume it's for the range.

We specify 2.4 GHz because it's only the 2400 MHz range that we use for WLAN.

Not sure what they are exactly for Australia.

• Like 1

awesome

9 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

When people say "5 GHz" they mean everything in the range of 5.1 -> 5.8 (specifically, for the US it's 5170-5835) for WLAN. That's why it's unspecified and rounded to 5 GHz.
Most drones (and some RC cars) use 5.8 GHz, or 2.4 GHz. I assume it's for the range.

We specify 2.4 GHz because it's only the 2400 MHz range that we use for WLAN.

Not sure what they are exactly for Australia.

that makes sense. thanks for the clarification.

12 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

There are some builds that can be found online for drone jammers in these ranges (mainly 5.8 GHz).  

On 5/2/2018 at 7:07 AM, barry99705 said:

Wow, those things are illegal as fuck in the US

Most of the time when it comes to jamming that's true.  It might be possible with a ham radio license ?   But hard to say for the linked devices since the specs aren't very in depth. 

9 hours ago, trapman16 said:

Most of the time when it comes to jamming that's true.  It might be possible with a ham radio license ?   But hard to say for the linked devices since the specs aren't very in depth. 

Ham doesn't make it legal to purposely jam a device.

1 hour ago, barry99705 said:

Debatable. Most people like ham. But then again, a lot of people prefer bacon so that may be the better option.

Have to be a lot of bacon. A-lot of bacon.

Just as a side note - you're Wigle widget is really bugging me. Shouldn't it say "SSIDs found: 434,812", not "WiFi Found: 434,812"? Seems English dodgy..

1 hour ago, barry99705 said:

I suppose I should have went into more detail.  "Jam" a device no.  But there are documented situations were a a ham radio operator is not doing an illegal act if operating within a frequency range and power level of a band, with a "broadcast signal stronger that another device" that causes a "jamming" type situation.

I know this just sounds like a wording game but its more of a technical matter in the radio world.  One good example is the use of OpenBTS to make a cell tower.  There is nothing illegal about it on the right frequency and power levels allowed to amateur radio operators.  It becomes illegal when it has malicious intent to force users to a tower used for eavesdropping, etc .  

13 hours ago, trapman16 said:

I suppose I should have went into more detail.  "Jam" a device no.  But there are documented situations were a a ham radio operator is not doing an illegal act if operating within a frequency range and power level of a band, with a "broadcast signal stronger that another device" that causes a "jamming" type situation.

I know this just sounds like a wording game but its more of a technical matter in the radio world.  One good example is the use of OpenBTS to make a cell tower.  There is nothing illegal about it on the right frequency and power levels allowed to amateur radio operators.  It becomes illegal when it has malicious intent to force users to a tower used for eavesdropping, etc .  

Yea, but that''s not jamming, that's a goof.  Also, once you find you're interfering with another device, you're supposed to fix the issue.  Also, if you don't know you're doing it, the guys that show up in the black vans, will tell you...  Usually with a fairly chunky fine.

4 hours ago, barry99705 said:

Yea, but that''s not jamming, that's a goof.  Also, once you find you're interfering with another device, you're supposed to fix the issue.  Also, if you don't know you're doing it, the guys that show up in the black vans, will tell you...  Usually with a fairly chunky fine.

I agree with what your saying.  Just thought I would bring up that there are a few rare cases where it might actually be in the gray area.  The black vans showing up would depend on how far and whose devices you ended up jamming.  The even harder part to stay legal on "jamming" a drone is if it is using any sort of rolling code, encryption, frequency shift, etc.  You aren't supposed to broadcast a signal with encryption except in some rare cases.

I don’t want to thread jack but I’m throwing this stuff in here because it seems to be a bustling thread with knowledgable people..

In the back of my mind, I’ve always wanted to get into short band radio stuff. Shit hits the fan kind of mentality. One of the networking apps I use is by a guy named Marcus Roskosch and he makes a bunch of really in depth Ham radio and electronic diagnostic/information type apps. Where’s a good place to start?

Not spam but check out some of his stuff. maybe some one might find it useful:

http://roskosch.de/marcus-roskosch/

HAM Radio Technician Exam preparation by Marcus Roskosch

HAM Radio Technician Exam preparation by Marcus Roskosch

HAM Radio Extra Exam preparation - FCC - ARRL by Marcus Roskosch

HAM Radio General Exam preparation - FCC - ARRL by Marcus Roskosch

RF-Toolbox Pro by Marcus Roskosch

Electronic Toolbox Pro by Marcus Roskosch

Home - Electronic Toolbox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, Spoonish said:

In the back of my mind, I’ve always wanted to get into short band radio stuff. Shit hits the fan kind of mentality.

Part of the reason I got into it.  One of the best things about HAM radio is there are endless things to do.  Different bands, projects, hacks, tweaks, challenges, etc, etc, etc