Who to trust on the Internet ?

cerebrussaxon

Hello guys,

So i have trust issues.

Nowadays everyone seems to be after every little bit of information. In fact this has grown so fast that everyone should be bothered.

In the wake of certain events surrounding a certain social Network Data leak, i started to ask myself a few questions.

Now i live in Belgium.

For those that dont know where that is, its where the good beer comes from.

Now, down where i live there is basically 1 major internet provider, there are others in the country but this 1 dominates the market so bad that the others are not opperating in every region of the country.

With this in mind i wanted to find out if there is any regulatory instance for things like Internet and Information security in my country.

Turns out that unless your fluent in dutch and have at least a law degree, you can go f yourself as nobody seems to know anything about it on the belgian state sites.

Hell, even some major regional politicians didnt know.

From that arise 3 questions:

1. How do i go about finding out who is in charge of what down here?

2. Can I trust my ISP not to eavesdrop on my traffic?

3. And if not, how do i protect myself ( Thinking VPN but id need a VPS for that and do i trust that VPS provider?)

any piece of advice would be apreciated

Thank you

I know the feels. Down Under has a few large ISPs competing, especially in the mobile network area. Telstra is dominating the coverage scene, Optus not too far behind but still lacking.

3 hours ago, cerebrussaxon said:

1. How do i go about finding out who is in charge of what down here?

Now, down where i live there is basically 1 major internet provider, there are others in the country but this 1 dominates the market so bad that the others are not opperating in every region of the country.

Sounds like you already know. ? 

2. Can I trust my ISP not to eavesdrop on my traffic?

Ehhhhhh, not really. It depends on what your country's standards are on internet traffic and stuff. In Australia I don't think many ISPs track every URL you go to, but I would imagine they would monitor them a bit so the government can catch out baddies looking at bad things. I would imagine it's similar in Belgium - although, Europeans are strange people so I don't know. ?

3. And if not, how do i protect myself ( Thinking VPN but id need a VPS for that and do i trust that VPS provider?)

That's one option.

You don't really need a VPS, there are a few VPNs out there that have good intentions for their users. Just don't go to any free ones, and make sure you read the small text before you buy any.

If you want to go the way of the VPS, it's the same thing. Read small text, make sure they're hosted somewhere with a stable internet connection. Rules out Aus. ?

Trust no one, buddy. But, if you are not doing anything illegal or delving into the nasty site of the web, what does it matter if you are being spied upon? People are going crazy with the news pouring out about all these big companies breaching and leaking personal users' data. Well... it's wrong of course, but this is how things have been all along. Unless the governments do something about virtual privacy - which they need to understand first - nothing will change, and no matter what you do, you will always be at risk. Maybe that's a bit pessimistic. Sorry.

Where I live we luckly have three major internet providers to choise from. Dont like one switch easy peasy

As others have said, get yourself a VPN account... i'm not trying to advertise one provider above the others but you can get NordVPN for around $8 US per month and they have a choice of hundreds of servers around the world to find a fast one that works for you.  You can also make sure your ISP or other servers around the world are not geo-blocking you.

• 3 weeks later...

Choose a VPN that dont want any personal details on joining (an email addy is all it should need), gives you the option to pay for the service anonymously (Bitcoin, cash etc) and represents a server ability to secure dns leakage, as well as keeping no activity logs.

You cant give information about an IP address if requested, when you dont have any, and the server base should be maintained from a neutral country. ie Sweden

The goal should be goal to make internet censorship and mass surveillance completely ineffective.

I recommend Mullvad which satisfy's the above criteria.