I hate Virgin Medias Parental Control

hackabus

So my pet hate at the moment is VMs parental controls, we have it enabled because of the kids and because of this it blocks this forum ?? it does offer the option to specify certains sites to be allowed, but guess what, hak5 is not one of them lol, complete blanket ban on anything hacking related when filter is on, so unfortunatley I have to run a vpn to access the forum, I dont really mind because i like to be a bit secure but sometimes i just want a quick visit to the forum without speed lags, oh well thanks VM 

1 hour ago, Rkiver said:

Put their modem into bridged mode and run your own firewall setup with your own controls.

this is something im currently pondering over, thinking about setting up with pfsense :)

2 hours ago, Broti said:

They offer no possibility to manually add domains to the whitelist?

That's crap.

They do but they still have a blanket ban on anything hacking related so cant whitelist hak5 :(

Yep, I found exactly the same with the VM filter! Using a VPN is one workaround. It doesn't seem to work very well either as a way of blocking content, I think it just uses a different DNS so you might be able to access so called blocked content directly from the IP address. It certainly seemed unreliable even when enabled.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Broti said:

They offer no possibility to manually add domains to the whitelist?

That's crap.

I actually find it disgusting that their IT dept. figured this would be OK.

The irony with things like this is that the more companies harbour the idea of Big Brother control, the more resentment they instil in the public, and the more hacking said architectures will become more popular.

Basically, the Streisand Effect.