:'(

CaveMan

What are the chances the computer is fine?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• High
    • Semi high
    • Netural
    • semi low
    • its gone

Well if it was a regular stationary computer it's probably fine. The only thing that could happen is that the arms of the hard drive could jump from the impact and if it was working at the same time it could scratch the platters.

On a more serious note, maybe it's about time to move out if possible. Parents hitting things with hammers is not healthy behavior.

it was on

not sure what happened about hitting it how hard and such

and it was a ex builder now building inspector hitting it, so it wouldn't be too soft

edit: he wants to move out, but its kinda hard without a job and being 16 and such...

even if he had a job no one will pay him enough for an apartment

My friend got into a fight with his dad and hell broke lose and his dad whacked his computer with a hammer (im guessing only once with the case still on...)

And my friend was kicked out...

HAHAHA! :lol:

We're really maxing out the geek-o-meter here.

He's getting kicked out after a big row, and you're asking about his _computer_? :roll:

If that's the only thing he's worried about, I can understand his dad taking a hammer to the machine.

He's getting kicked out after a big row, and you're asking about his _computer_?

Yea, Cooper has a good point. The guy is living with a totally abusive fucked up guy who breakes valuable shit in violent rages, i think the computer is the least of his problems.

I think this is Australian so i'll tell you what i know already.

Keep in mind i don't in any way work for centerlink or anyone like that, or in any way have any training to give you proper advice. I just know what i know.

In Australia, unless you're 25 or have earned something like 14 thousand in the last 18 months, which i'm pretty sure that you're friend is not, then you are still considered a dependant on your perants, even if you decide to move away from home and have no contact with your perants.

This means that as far as youth allowance, you're going to only be getting the minimal dependant rate, which is ~$80 a week if i remember correctly. Also, that is if the guy's perants don't earn over the minimum threshold (i have no idea what that is). On top of that you're going to need them to fill out an income statement once a year. This can be a real bitch because it means that they're going to have the power to cut off all your avenue for funds at a whim. Depending on how abusive and controlling they are it could be a real problem.

To get rid of all the above headaches and to get a little extra a week you would need to be considered an independant. The only other way i mentioned apart from the above is if he was badly abused or if he is in danger. In the case of your friend it's probably not going to be enough that his dad is violent and abusive. It usually requires something like he's being sexually abused or totally getting fucked up. Also, you need at least one third party to back you up. This can usually be anyone, a friend, councelor or something like that, but it usually helps if they are a respected member of the community, so a teacher, priest or something like that. More than one is also better, and if you shared this stuff before moving out it would also be better.

What he should do is probably go to a councelor or something, tell them that his dad is abusive and that he is in fear of his safety. I don't know your guy's situation, but this does sound kinda fucked up.

He should probably talk to someone from centrelink, who actually knows wtf they're talking about, to work out his options if he's serious.

My advice to anyone thinking about moving out. You probably shouldn't. Especially if you want to get an education, like university or something like that. It's more work, having to take care of every aspect of your existanct, money is a REAL burden and not having financial security can be shit fucking scary, and if you're unfortunate enough to be living with people who are fucked up, you find yourself back in square one, living with the same fucked up people you were trying to get away from.

That said, i'd rather put in the extra work than to be living with crazy abusive perants who feel possesive and controlling over you.

Hope your mate's shit works out

My friend got into a fight with his dad and hell broke lose and his dad whacked his computer with a hammer (im guessing only once with the case still on...)

And my friend was kicked out...

HAHAHA! :lol:

He's getting kicked out after a big row, and you're asking about his _computer_? :roll:

If that's the only thing he's worried about, I can understand his dad taking a hammer to the machine.

friend heal... computers dont

he went to his mates house last night and he is moving back into his mums so he has housing and stuff

hear ware I live we have a ceter for youth and thay help with getting you away from abuse a other things , I rember wanting to go in to foster care but my dad had conections, any way tho the ceter rocked and helped me out a lot. i would hope thier is something like that for your mate.

A new mobo costs like 50 bucks. I'm sure it's not something he'll have lying around given his age, but it's far from the end of the world. Most important items in a computer are CPU and harddisk. Possibly also the graphics card if he's a gamer. Assuming the machine's been hit from above the Mobo's shot, and possibly the PSU. Pray no hardware got zapped by some short circuit, but you won't know untill you put the components in another machine.