Hacking TASER's?

jaime_lion

I won't post more videos, but search YouTube for the tic tac taser, which is a play on the disposable camera capacitor hack, sans the capacitor. I'm kind of curious how he upped the DC voltage since a single AAA battery should only be about 1.5 to 2 volts.

I'm kind of curious how he upped the DC voltage since a single AAA battery should only be about 1.5 to 2 volts.

Using a transformer you can up the voltage so long as you decrease the amps (W=I*V). With a transformer you basically have a box shape [] where you thread a wire around the left side wrapping the bar X times. You do the same on the other side wrapping it Y times. Assuming no loss, if you put your battery on the wires on the one side and measure the voltage on the other wire you should get (Y/X)*V volts and (X/Y)*I amps on the opposite wire.

Wikipedia

• 2 weeks later...

I was putting on my white hat with this thought.

What if someone was able to install malware into the police computers and when the taser was connected to the computer to download the shot time and duration it uploaded upgrades to the taser that would make it more of a deadly weapon the next use? or what if when used it fried the device? Some police departments have to share TASER's. Some have the individual police buy them out of pocket. So if this were possible at the very least it would cost huge ammounts of money in lawsuits or new devices.

Or what if you compromised a TASER and modified it in such a way that it would load something similar to stuxnet onto the police computer ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know agents that would rather take the OC spray over taser (5 second ride) any day. Also, a little stat on being tased. One in ten lose bowel control when tased.

I've taken the full ride standing (police issue stun gun). My body did try to run, though. I was afraid to take the taze.

I was told that it's more of a "pain compliance" thing with the contacts of a stun gun, rather than full on NMI with the fired probes of a taser. Both have individual fire records with the LEO versions. I can't imagine you would be able to modify the weapon's discharge voltage, but I'm willing to bet you can read/write fire records. It would be bad if a record were modified to mask an offense.

I'd be curious to see if this thing could carry a payload.

I've taken the full ride standing (police issue stun gun). My body did try to run, though. I was afraid to take the taze.

I was told that it's more of a "pain compliance" thing with the contacts of a stun gun, rather than full on NMI with the fired probes of a taser. Both have individual fire records with the LEO versions. I can't imagine you would be able to modify the weapon's discharge voltage, but I'm willing to bet you can read/write fire records. It would be bad if a record were modified to mask an offense.

I'd be curious to see if this thing could carry a payload.

Not sure what you mean by both have individual fire records. A trigger pull is a trigger pull. That's what is logged.

Oh I know I used to be an amateur skater in my teens and knew Bam (as big a douche irl as on his shows and sucks that bad at skating), I made the mistake of thinking a stun gun and cattle prod 2 diff times would be nahhh can't be that bad while drunk. NOPE.

You're from Chester County too, eh? Shame how Ryan went out, but... yeah. That's how it goes when you live your life like that.

Not sure what you mean by both have individual fire records. A trigger pull is a trigger pull. That's what is logged.

Stun gun has a record. Taser has a record. They are individual units. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by boolean