Will we see Hak5 in Australia?

simmerdim

Is there an opportunity for the Hak5 team to visit Australia.

There are many Hak5 members / followers here, and it would be a good opportunity to get the community involved.

Perhaps some training on the trusty Pineapple, Duck and new Turtle (????). I would have enjoyed the opportunity to attend the training but USA is just too far.

Is this something that can be discussed further?

I think the point to take away from this is not so much that it's not up for discussion, but rather that the people who hang around on the forum aren't the ones who have a say in the matter.

My suggestion would be to petition Darren directly. His preferred way of contact is a DM via Twitter. He does get on the forums every so often, but not a regularly as you might expect.

Yeah. Even in IRC, you may see his name on 24/7, but he is not at his monitor watching the channel at all times. Twitter will send an email when you get a DM, so it's a good shot at reaching him, even if you just tweet at him or send an email directly (darren @ hak5 dot org or aardwolf @ gmail). I imagine the show's inbox gets filled pretty quickly these days, but he seems to be on twitter every day or so, although don't use his time line as an indicator. https://twitter.com/hak5darren

His rationale was that when he gets a DM on Twitter he can quickly reply with a short message and get back to whatever he was doing.

Thanks for the replies and guidance guys, I really appreciate the feedback and help.

I was hoping for a little more buy in and enthusiasm from the Aussie crowd, before considering any approach to or pestering of Darren and team.

I am slightly disappointed but not surprised. We are a pretty easy going, laid back bunch.

Have a great weekend guys and stay legal.

Thanks Cooper.

Had posted already in there. Which was what prompted the additional thread.

I was hoping to open a conversation with other Aus Hak5 followers that discussed more than just the training that we could not attend.

These things take time to get legs so maybe with a little more persistence on my part, and others, the future will allow us to develop and mature an Australian network.

For example:

Whilst the show primarily discusses global things, there are certain regulations debated at length, that don't necessarily affect or govern what we do here. So localised discussions would be good to have.

Thanks

Mate I'm keen to connect with other Aussie's that are hak5 fans.

One of the problems we encounter is always the vast distances between us, so it's always hard to arrange meetups and become an active community.

I'm not even aware if we have hacker or maker cons here in Australia.

I'm more than happy to talk more about how we can link up though....open to ideas.

My prediction, Darren's next road trip goes down under. I think if enough Australians post in this thread to connect with other hak5'ers, he'll have a better chance of seeing where and who to visit in Australia. Who knows, maybe a hack tool will come out because of it, like a Koala or Kangaroo themed tool.

Edited by digip

How about a permanent thread in the "Community" section of the forums for the Aussies to connect?

I know that this could possibly involve everyone from different countries also wanting their own thread.

So maybe another idea would be a search of members based on country?

Looking for ideas :)

I would welcome the Community thread. As mentioned by yourself psydT0ne, distance is a problem for meet ups.

However the case for a community forum or thread, I think, is a strong one.

Like most, i do not get the opportunity to take time out to visit even domestic security cons, such as Rubicon, or indeed go over seas,

Trawling through extensive forums for information Australia-centric can be laborious and more often than not the answers are not forthcoming from overseas forums.

Simple thing like where can I legally buy lock picks and get them delivered in Australia, and what are the rules governing their use and transport.

(Got mine off Gadgets Direct by the btw (no affiliation), and just remember it is not legal to carry them on you out of the house!)

I have had issues (long forgotten the workarounds) with some scripts (very relevant to ducky style attacks) because of the extended character sets and language packs used in Australia, such as Chinese characters sets, either on BYOD or personalised mobile devices in the workplace or indeed just particular versions of windows used in multi-cultural workplaces. Of course I understand these are not unique Aus hurdles but we may see it more than other countries.

Short reply is: Can we support this proposal by psydT0ne and if so, lets make it happen.

Those in favour say AYE!

Edited by simmerdim

The main issue with a Hak across Australia is the distances. Now hak across the US was handy as there are areas you can stop off in, but most of Australia is empty, completely.

Now perhaps if it was on one side or the other of the continent it'd work, but across the entirety of it? I'd say not all that feasible. I do recall Darren mentioning a hak across Asia at some point, though.

Yes distance can be a factor Rkiver, as anyone here will attest. I know first hand, coming originally from the UK, it does take a little adjustment to comprehend the scale of Australia.

How about a coastal trip. Start in Adelaide, move counter clockwise round Australia, Melbourne, Tassie, Canberra, Sydney and north up into Bris Vegas, continuing round the top, through Darwin and West into Perth.

A few workshops and turtles along the way and it will go in no time at all! A quick flight here and there and the distances shrink.

If a trip into the bush is wanted then I am sure more than a few of us have a PPL or RPL and would be happy to help out. Who needs a Pineapple with ADSB when you have the real thing! :grin:

More seriously though, it is doable, as many of us working in Australia will tell you. It is just a matter of planning and good timing. The workshops and classes would certainly be welcomed, and who knows, the different environment here, may allow the team to learn something new and take a positive away with them.

One thing Aussies are good at is making stuff work and overcoming obstacles, and this is an opportunity that has just not happened yet. But it will......

S

So true psydT0ne LOL

But... imagine what we could learn about satellite phone systems, CB radios and UHF and VHF radio!

There are not very many wireless (soooo last year...) access points in the desert but there are big trucks with radios and Sat phones!!

Crack out the yagi and HackRF and go nuts! Lets see the team do something different.

But yeah.... it is kinda empty apart from that.

Empty...lol...

Well not empty empty per say, but more mile and miles (I think one I saw said something like 500 miles to next fill up and water or some such figure).

But a coastal tour, that is feasible alright (at least in my eyes).

Of course at the end of the day, it's all up to Darren, but the more who are interested, the more likely it is to occur.

I reckon getting a network of aussies together and communicating first would be a good solid start.

Working out where we are, what we're interested in and how we can help each other.\

I work with plenty of IT people but it just isn't the same as finding like minded people into hacking, making and phreaking.

So very early days yet!

To be totally honest, to actually meet Darren or any of the Hak5 crew IRL would seriously blow my mind. I'm 43 (bit of an old fart) and i reckon i'd carry on like a kid meeting his hero....lol

Ha ha nice psydT0ne.

I hope age is not a concern here, or I am in more trouble than you! This is about like minded people regardless of ones age, professional career, hobby or stubborness in simply not being ready to give up learning, failing and trying again. True hackers. The challenge, in it for the puzzle and not the pay! Its not just about hacking computers and wireless networks. Between Hak5 and SecurityTube, we just about have it all covered.

As for meeting those we admire, it happens so rarely that in my book any reaction is the right reaction!

Lets get this going. I like the community thread approach. Lets see if we can get some support and at least achieve that, as a first step. From there, we can only move forward!

S

I think we should request a community level thread. Like you I am unsure where to start or indeed who to make the request of. Would like to see it on the home page. Time to start asking a few questions.

If we dont ask we dont get, if we do ask, we just might.

Sorry Guys, a really busy week, I did not get time to look into this.

Has anyone any idea on how we go about creating an Australian thread?

I would feel a little silly starting a new thread just to ask the question.

ideas?

Hey there,

I've just sent a nice PM off to Mr-Protocol, one of the forum admins to ask if we could have a thread started in the community section for Australian Hak5 members or alternatively a sticky thread in the general section of the forums.

Hopefully we will hear something back soon :grin:

Western Australia here lads, Keen to meet others, Perth does hold a yearly conference but ive not attended, it did not seem too organised but someone correct me if im wrong :/

Always keen to meet other local hak5 fans and would love to see a Down Under tour

Might make sense at some point to have a whole subsection for users from different countries to be able to find others by country. if we had a forum under say "International" and then a main post that lists countries people want listed there, maybe we can add that, adn then in each country, an extra section specifically for local conferences, and one for hacker spaces as an extra community place for people who watch hak5 to kind of mingle and meet people near them. We've had hak5 meetups and many of us have gone to various conferences, but viewers are worlwide, not just US located, so it kind of makes sense to have a special section so all users can find people to meet near them.