Will we see Hak5 in Australia?

simmerdim

The problem with having lots of niche subforums is that they end up being pretty much dead ends. You get 4 people who post regularly at the start, then they lose interest or notice that, since its title is so specific, the majority of the people on the forum never look there, resulting in very little interaction. I, for one, would have very little interest in looking at anything happening in an 'Australia' forum, for what I would expect to be obvious reasons. Problem is that very few topics are really australia-specific to the point that Everything Else wouldn't be able to cover it. I also don't believe this forum is so incredibly active that if you don't split it up into more subfora it would be impossible to keep track of everything.

Much like with the Quadcopter forum, prove there's an inherent interest amongst the forum members to make such a subforum work and you've got a point. Until such time, just deal with it in Everything Else.

Firstly , many thanks to psydT0ne for taking the step to PM Mr-Protocol.

Cooper, you make a valid point. This supports the statement i made in an earlier post about the level of interest required to make something like this fly. So no argument from me.

Perhaps the approach suggested by digip warrants more discussion and debate. That is to say the approach of having a country based set up. This too, will not be without its obstacles and possible issues.

We all choose the threads that pique our interest Cooper, and like you, I have little interest, (actually i think I mean 'less requirement') in reading a Netherlands based thread, that focuses purely on regulations affecting European countries and especially those interesting to, or directly affecting, only the Netherlands. This will remain one of the success criteria for any of the threads based in these forums.

A common statement through the debate in this thread, is that there are indeed hacker cons in Australia, (supported by earlier statements, and more recently in the post by Sinn3rman) but unless you live in the city in which they are hosted, one rarely (if ever) gets the opportunity to attend. Partly due to the vast distances but also in part due the working environment here in Australia, which does not support that kind of attendance. This brings us back to the original question I raised, which is will we see HAK5 down under.

If we cannot travel to the conferences and training, then we should get the conferences and training to travel to us.

Lets see what reply Mr-Protocol comes back with to psydT0ne and take it from there. This may or may not work, but as i said before, Australians have a historical necessity (and therefore a knack) of making stuff happen and work.

Finally, I know I am repeating myself but forum opportunities aside, the initial question still remains, will we see HAK5 down under?

S

What I'd like to see is you or someone of a similar mind explain why there is a need for such a subforum. Are Australians really that unique? You could argue "Minister [iNSERT_NAME] wants to spy on us ozzies" which I would argue can be easily debated in a more general topic of 'The government wants to spy on us' because even though the problem has been made Australia-specific due to the name of the politician, the concept itself is far from unique for Australia and the same goes for any solutions provided, so long as these solutions don't involve species indigenous only to Australia.

I don't see subforums as a way to get more people in, I see them as a way to keep parts of the existing populace out.

I don't see subforums as a way to get more people in, I see them as a way to keep parts of the existing populace out.

I only suggested it as a meeting grounds of sorts so people from one area local to one another might by chance find conferences, hackerspaces, etc, local to them or to meet people close to them who might want to hang out in the real world, vs just the forums since in some parts of the world, they may not realize how many people near them have the same interests and could get together. As for country related topics, I think the general forums are where this goes for the most part, but in finding real people to hang out with, a section by country might make things easier for people to organize locally offline.

Hi guys,

You are welcome to create a thread in the community section, but it is unlikely that there will be a special forum or even a stickied thread, as then we'll have to do this for every country that comes asking ;)

If there is demand for it, we'll consider adding a subforum for area specific threads (such as an Australian thread), but currently there isn't much demand to warrant an entire forum for the purpose.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Been twice in my life and would love to go again.

Darren and myself had thrown the idea around of taking a couple of motorbikes and driving down the coast before.. But it's not something concrete. I could imagine that we'll make it over there at some point though.

I would support a visit down under, I think it would be money better spent than the 2k or so it costs me to get to teched each year :)

To others in the apac area please feel free to message me or say Hi in IRC, no need to be shy !