Vista RC2

mazmac24

Vista...  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• Good
    • Crap

When I installed Vista RC2, i could install any xp software which included my sound card driver and my wireless internet driver. I was wondering of it is slightly possible to make them work on Vista. They worked on xp pro which i had on the computer. I gave up and installed xp pro back when everythin worked.

With Vista Beta 2(on my laptop) my sound didn't work my screen was crappy and slow... but now starting with RC1 My Wireless supports WPA2 (I can't even get WPA 1 to work in XP) and my Screen Doesn't update lower left first then top right a split second after when watching full screen videos (THAT'S FUCKING ANNOYING AS HELL) Vista has better support for my Tecra M4 then Toshiba (Toshiba should be avoided I 'used' to like their quality)... unless Toshiba fixes this I Might have to upgrade

I tried installing Vista on a virtul machine yesterday. it didn't work. said it couldn't find something on d:/ even though i installed it off a cd. XP installed on vm but vista couldn't finish. wtf... CRAPPY. it installed on my old computer(the one that I broke)

vista... looks cool but i couldn't use anything including internet so i said screw it. im going back to xp

Why are you even trying to install vista on old computers? Its not designed to work on old machines, its designed to work on new computers that are being sold now. As for the VM problems, again most VM machines use old generic virtual devices like S3 Trios, which are not ideal for Vista. Were you using an ISO? Or a physical disk? Because MS Virtual PC doesn't like DVD images. In all honesty you are one of the last people who should be using a beta or a rc. You don't know what your doing, and then blame Vista for being crappy when you reach the limits of your technical knowledge.

So again, Vista is designed for new kit, not old kit.

Why are you even trying to install vista on old computers? Its not designed to work on old machines, its designed to work on new computers that are being sold now. As for the VM problems, again most VM machines use old generic virtual devices like S3 Trios, which are not ideal for Vista. Were you using an ISO? Or a physical disk? Because MS Virtual PC doesn't like DVD images. In all honesty you are one of the last people who should be using a beta or a rc. You don't know what your doing, and then blame Vista for being crappy when you reach the limits of your technical knowledge.

So again, Vista is designed for new kit, not old kit.

No. It wasn't old. I meant old as in past computer. It had an Athlon 2ghz gig of ram 128mb graphics.

I got the image from microsoft.com and burned it onto a dvd.

And the computer i tried it on vm had p4 1.25 gig ram and 256mb graphics.

And the computer i tried it on vm had p4 1.25 gig ram and 256mb graphics.

That's kind of irrelevant, the VM only lets the guest OS access crappy emulated hardware, as VaKo said the graphics hardware the VM presents to Vista is well below par and would not ever be a graphics card recommended for use with Vista.

Otherwise though, I've not found it too bad. I'm kinda narked that both of the ways I have to get online are both broken in Vista (though everything else works flawlessly and pretty smoothly)...

I'll grant MS this though, I hardly expected my USB modem to work because some people have enough trouble installing under XP and since the product is discontinued they won't be updating the drivers.

The other method I tried was to try to connect via my router but this failed because unbeknown to me my ageing NIC is infact 10Mbps only and I'm hardly surprised they don't support a card that old. Wow... I didn't realise it was quite that old though... :p

<snipage>

The other method I tried was to try to connect via my router but this failed because unbeknown to me my ageing NIC is infact 10Mbps only and I'm hardly surprised they don't support a card that old. Wow... I didn't realise it was quite that old though... :p

You sure its not got flow control turned off in the advanced hardware propitys? Had a mate with an older NIC that kept saying it was 10mbs, but if you turned on flow control it went to 100mbs and worked fine.

Nah it really is that old, I looked it up last night...

Meh, doesn't bother me though, I only use it for 2.2Mb internet and there are no drivers for Vista anyways.

I'm currently dual booting Vista RC2 and Windows 2003 so as long as it works in one of them I'm not too worried.

I'm not sure, if I got it right you can install Vista on a VM but that counts as your one and only install and you may not install it on a real PC as well as a VM but I'd heard that this version *will not* install on a VM.

Edit: However on saying this I believe certain versions are not supposed to be installed in a VM though I'm not sure which...