2.8.1 USB Issues

I just flashed my Pineapple to 2.8.1 good news Karma works! Bad news is that if I plug in anything into the usb port my Pineapple reboots within 2 minutes It also will not start with anything in the usb port.

Any help would be great!

-Tp

Seems like an isolated issue - we had no such reports in the beta and tested that extensively.

Try a re-flash with nothing plugged in.

I flashed to 2.8.1 yesterday with no issues and my previously fine usb was also fine, no issues.

I ran the pineapple with tcpdump infusion (installed to usb) on all day today, came home and somehow it seems to have now lost the USB.

Infusions page says that there used to be a USB with infusions on it but now it can't see it.

fstab looks like this

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 1

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option enabled  1

lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0951:168a Kingston Technology DataTraveler Micro 

swap is seen

root@Pineapple:/usb# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         29340        26480         2860            0         3588
-/+ buffers:              22892         6448
Swap:      2097148            0      2097148
root@Pineapple:/usb#

from dmesg

[   10.950000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[   10.950000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[   10.960000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[   11.550000] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[   11.560000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: Generic Platform EHCI Controller
[   11.560000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[   11.600000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
[   11.620000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[   11.620000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   11.620000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[   11.750000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   11.870000] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
[   11.990000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   11.990000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   12.000000] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   12.100000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[   12.250000] scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1:1.0
[   13.340000] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DT Micro         PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[   14.480000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 30712320 512-byte logical blocks: (15.7 GB/14.6 GiB)
[   14.490000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[   14.490000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
[   14.490000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present
[   14.500000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   14.510000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present
[   14.510000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   14.540000]  sda: sda1 sda2
[   14.540000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present
[   14.550000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   14.550000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

all looks pretty normal. was working fine on 2.8.0 but now weirdness after the update.

I factory reset the unit just now and same deal, can't see the usb through the pineapple bar

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

hmmm

nope not showing as mounted

now seeing a lot of this in dmesg

[  199.300000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 45 using ehci-platform
[  199.460000] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

think I'm going to try reformatting/replacing that USB as a next step

OK

Reformatted and rebuilt

no different.

Moved the unit from where it has always been USB powered to another USB power source

now it can't even see the USB at all

so I move dit back to where it originally was...bam..now it's all good....

wtf

anyway, is OK for the moment. Will report back

• 1 month later...

My USB is not showing up either <<Is /dev/sda1 showing as mounted in the Resources tab?>> and it's not on the list here. Any ideas how to mount it? The USB light on the pineapple is ON, the USB is hot to the touch so it seems to be reading but not connecting.

Any ideas?

Thanks

My USB is not showing up either <<Is /dev/sda1 showing as mounted in the Resources tab?>> and it's not on the list here. Any ideas how to mount it? The USB light on the pineapple is ON, the USB is hot to the touch so it seems to be reading but not connecting.

Any ideas?

Thanks

How did you format it?

gbh,

What size USB device are you using? Have you tried using the power plug instead of USB? What you are describing happened to me in many of the different Firmware versions but only if I used USB power and a thumb drive over 4 Gig. For me switching to Power Plug with a large USB drive worked great. Or using a 4Gig drive on USB power worked. But not >4Gig USB on USB power...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a 32 gig USB drive and it was formated on Linux OS via the command line. It mounts fine under BackTrack but when I plug it into the Pineapple it's not seen. I tried looking under resources I don't see it there either. Looked under Status where it says USB 3G Modem: it's Blank

Any ideas how to mount it?

lsusb Output:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 154b:005b PNY

fstab Configuration:

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option enabled  0

Guest nvysel24

AZpublishing, I have had this reboot issue also. But it is only when I have a usb drive plugged in. I tried about 8 different usb drives ranging from 128 mb to 8 gb and after about 15 seconds of it being plugged in it would shutdown then restart. and the WPS button would sit and flash till I removed the usb then it would boot up normally.

I finally did find a USB drive that worked in fat32 but as soon as I put it to 2 partitions of ext4 1 swap 1 storage it started doing the reset again. After more searching I was able to find a 16gb sd card that worked in a usb converter for storage. but i can't get my swap to work. Currently I am just dinking around with it though

Edit: My pineapple also reboots itself when i try to access the URL snarfing. I originally installed 2.8.1 then added the infusion urlsnarf interface. I am not sure if it is because of a bug in the interface or what. I have no removed the infusion and it still restarts trying to start up URLsnarf

Edited by nvysel24

AZpublishing, I have had this reboot issue also. But it is only when I have a usb drive plugged in. I tried about 8 different usb drives ranging from 128 mb to 8 gb and after about 15 seconds of it being plugged in it would shutdown then restart. and the WPS button would sit and flash till I removed the usb then it would boot up normally.

I finally did find a USB drive that worked in fat32 but as soon as I put it to 2 partitions of ext4 1 swap 1 storage it started doing the reset again. After more searching I was able to find a 16gb sd card that worked in a usb converter for storage. but i can't get my swap to work. Currently I am just dinking around with it though

Edit: My pineapple also reboots itself when i try to access the URL snarfing. I originally installed 2.8.1 then added the infusion urlsnarf interface. I am not sure if it is because of a bug in the interface or what. I have no removed the infusion and it still restarts trying to start up URLsnarf

Reboots like this are usually power issues. How are you powering your pineapple?

AZpublishing,

Can you post a screen grab or text of your Resources tab with the USB drive plugged in? From what you posted above your don't have it setup for using swap space...

config swap
option device /dev/sda2
option enabled

If you did that last 0 would be a 1. And there is another command you have to run on the advanced tab or via ssh... it's mkswap something. I don't remember off the top of my head.

Guest nvysel24

Reboots like this are usually power issues. How are you powering your pineapple?

I am powering it through the wall adapter that was provided. I was going to try a different one because from what ive read on here that adapter is not all that great

Actually that brings up what ive been meaning to ask. I saw you can power it usb is it possible to splice a power connector onto a usb cable and power it via usb port that way? instead of backfeeding into the usb? or does the power port have to be 12v?

Guest nvysel24

AZpublishing,

Can you post a screen grab or text of your Resources tab with the USB drive plugged in? From what you posted above your don't have it setup for using swap space...

config swap

option device /dev/sda2

option enabled 0

If you did that last 0 would be a 1. And there is another command you have to run on the advanced tab or via ssh... it's mkswap something. I don't remember off the top of my head.

can the pineapple restart itself if it runs out of memory and has no swap to use?

I don't really know the answer to that. I suspect it's possible but I image it would just error out and stay on... Someone else might know.

Edited by thesugarat